Cleveland Announces Team Name Under Review

ramssuperbowl99

Is the name "Indians" derogatory? Wikipedia lists a mispronunciation as offensive, but not Indian itself. I always understood it as being similar to team names like the Vikings, Cowboys, etc.

Legit question and I'm not looking to make this political, so please, no one take it that way. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm ignorant on this topic.

29 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

About damn time. Hopefully we see the same happen with the Rangers (look up the treatment of Latino communities by Texas Rangers from 1850-1930s). 

I really can't tell if you're trolling here or not.

• Like 1

Interesting....
I'd thought Cleveland had pretty much cleaned up its issues by getting rid of the Indian head logo in favor of a simple C
Cant say I see a problem with the name "Indians" in so much as it's not slang like "Redskins" or "Savages" or something similar.

Cleveland Cuyahoga. A river in the same names county that caught on fire that Native Americans named meaning “Crooked River” for sports teams who were cursed because they probably built their stadiums on top of Native American burial grounds. Done ✅. Make it happen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Is the name "Indians" derogatory? Wikipedia lists a mispronunciation as offensive, but not Indian itself. I always understood it as being similar to team names like the Vikings, Cowboys, etc.

Legit question and I'm not looking to make this political, so please, no one take it that way. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm ignorant on this topic.

The name shouldn't be derogatory, for it was Columbus who named them that, thinking he had landed in the Indies...

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan