Cleveland Announces Team Name Under Review

ramssuperbowl99

11 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Is the name "Indians" derogatory? Wikipedia lists a mispronunciation as offensive, but not Indian itself. I always understood it as being similar to team names like the Vikings, Cowboys, etc.

Legit question and I'm not looking to make this political, so please, no one take it that way. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm ignorant on this topic.

It's obviously just a big thing with regards to the current climate. I don't know that anyone has actually put pressure on them regarding the actual name recently...at least not considerable, impactful pressure. The Mascot was always viewed poorly, and some people didn't love the name, but I can't remember it ever getting  the push that Washington had (which has been going on for decades). I think that this is just the higher ups getting in front of this, and potentially making the change. I think that they probably view it in the spectrum of "even if it's not derogatory, why do we even want it to be in the same zip code as something that could be construed that way". 

Plus, the PR is good

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

My post gets removed but Bleed The Clock doesn’t. Seems accurate.

His post discussed the name/logo.

You discussed white supremacy and your view on the racist history of baseball. If you can't see why it was removed then don't discuss the topic here. There are plenty of other places where you can express those opinions.

• Like 1

That whole practice of naming your team after a group of people your government was busy exterminating...is incredibly paternalistic. Even the “respectful” ones are still dehumanizing a group of people into a one-dimensional mascot to gawk at like Geronimo at the World’s Fair. The intent was never to “honor” Native Americans, it was to make them into a trophy, like someone intended to do with a Museum Of An Extinct Race:

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 2