Covid-19 and it’s impact on the 2020 season

candyman93

When it’s time to play games in 2020, 11-on-11 scenarios will be unavoidable. The league’s players hope that 11-on-11 football will otherwise be avoided, entirely.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL Players Association wants to limit activities that increase the risk of coronavirus transmission during the 2020 season. This includes, but is not limited to, a request that there be no 11-on-11 activities during practice.

The union also wants limited practices and group activities in the days leading up to travel and games, with restrictions applying as of Thursday of a given week, in order to permit accurate testing and to limit transmission of the virus.

Basically, the players are willing to accept that certain risks are inherent to playing football games in a pandemic. The goal is to find ways to minimize the risks during practices, allowing players to be prepared without putting them in a position that involves close proximity and exposure to respiratory droplets, sweat, saliva, blood, etc.

It remains to be seen whether the league will agree. Coaches surely won’t be thrilled about the prospect of no 11-on-11 practice sessions.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/04/players-want-no-11-on-11-activities-during-practice/

I don’t see how it’s possible even though I hope I get to watch football this year. If players and coaches who test positive are exempt from game day all it’s going to take is one case getting through the door and next thing you know half a team isn’t allowed on the field.

• Like 1

There will be no NFL season in 2020.  

21 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I don’t see how it’s possible even though I hope I get to watch football this year. If players and coaches who test positive are exempt from game day all it’s going to take is one case getting through the door and next thing you know half a team isn’t allowed on the field.

Yep.  Forget about football in 2020.  I guess we should just be glad we aren't getting browbeaten by the elite for the link between obesity and heart disease.

(2017 data)

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

Number of deaths for leading causes of death
  • Heart disease: 647,457
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

Source: Deaths: Leading Causes for 2017, table 1 pdf icon[PDF- 2 MB]

1 hour ago, blizofoz45 said:

Yep.  Forget about football in 2020.  I guess we should just be glad we aren't getting browbeaten by the elite for the link between obesity and heart disease.

(2017 data)

Not sure how that’s relevant, heart disease isn’t contagious. 

And there actually were public health warnings once upon a time, but corporations equating a horrible diet to “freedom” put an end to that. 

But none of this really has anything to do with football in 2020 which sadly I don’t see how it can happen. This pandemic is growing with every day, not getting smaller. 

• Like 4

I think best case would be playing in a different country like Canada. It doesn't have to be a ""bubble" but as long as you play in empty/spaced out stadiums for fans, in several different hub cities (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, etc) , it could work. Canada has 106K total cases, compared to Florida alone who has 200K...

Of course there are several issues with this, its not that easy, especially at this stage.  But a bubble wont work for the NFL since theres too many personnel, and the pandemic is getting worse in the USA which will eventually make its way into the NFL.

8 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Not sure how leading causes of death relates to football 

Charts like that are passed around on certain partisan websites, designed for minions to spread. It is the latest failed deflection.

We need to be looking at coronavirus as if this were 2040. Given the clarity of 20 years from now with death numbers known and various survivors dealing with lung issues, kidney issues, liver issues, stomach issues, heart issues and brain issues, nobody would believe that anyone in summer 2020 actually gave a flip about resuming football or any sport.

Here is a National Geographic article from February 18. Nothing was a mystery. I realize many posters will be too scared to read this. Others will note how incredible it is that we ever reached this point:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Plat2 said:

As a Canadian, let m be the first to say HELL NO.

Im canadian as well. The reason i suggest that is because were going to host the nhl in two hub cities. So they would already have worked on the logistics for one sport, and could revise protocols to account for the differences between the nfl and nhl (more players, different infrastructure, etc) This is also assuming common sense regulation like needing a negative test to travel, mandarory quarantine upon arrival, etc 

17 hours ago, blizofoz45 said:

(2017 data)

Please keep the conversation geared toward sports and the NFL season. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Slateman said:

There will be no 2020 season

I don't think we'll see a full season.  However i have a hard time believing that with billions of dollars on the line, NFL owners aren't going to push through at least a few games before something bad happens and shuts it down.

The only way i see this getting shut down is if there's a huge eruption in cases in one locker room.  Which I think will definitely happen at some point.  It's just a matter of when.  If it happens in TC, maybe there's no season.  But if it doesn't happen until week 6, then we're going to see at least 6 weeks of football.

• Like 1

The season is gonna start, and there will be 11-11 practices (it's impossible to go without those). How long the season's gonna be depends on if a whole team gets infected, or only a couple of players. And even if it's only a couple of players, it's gonna make a huge difference in the decsions the league's gonna make if the covid guy is Mahomes or some CB from the Bengals.