Covid-19 and it’s impact on the 2020 season

candyman93

IMHO, there will be an attempt at a season.  If a team has a rash of cases then I think it all gets shut down as the players refuse to go on.

I expect to see the same thing in the fall with College sports but the players may try to keep going.

I think most all sports need to be looking at a spring 2021 start if they realistically want to have full seasons. Otherwise, I expect the league to try to get in some weeks of playing this fall before it comes to an abrupt end. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Slateman said:

There will be no 2020 season

Unless the virus mutates into something more dangerous there will be a season.  Right now its no where close to being as deadly as the hype.  Most people get it and are asymptomatic or recover quickly like they do with the flu.  I think the government and media are hyping it up for ulterior motives.  

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Please keep the conversation geared toward sports and the NFL season. 

I should have linked a National Geographic article on covid instead?  Or made a partisan political comment?  Please be consistent in your moderation.

This thread is about the health threat posed by covid and whether there will even be a NFL season in 2020 because of it.  My point was to put context to the number of covid deaths vs. everything else that kills far more Americans every year.  Whether its sports, education, employment or just everyday activities you have to wonder how long people in that age range are going to keep hiding under rocks when the odds of serious health complications are astronomically low for them.

2 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

Please be consistent in your moderation.

If you have an issue with moderation please PM a Mod and they would be happy to help.

3 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

This thread is about the health threat posed by covid and whether there will even be a NFL season in 2020 because of it.  My point was to put context to the number of covid deaths vs. everything else that kills far more Americans every year.

Things that kill people does not offer context as it pertains to football, those things wont prevent a football season because you can't catch obesity from going to a game or playing in it. If you are going to post something that offers context, you might considering looping it back to how it would effect a season of football rather than just posting data without insight. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

I should have linked a National Geographic article on covid instead?  Or made a partisan political comment?  Please be consistent in your moderation.

This thread is about the health threat posed by covid and whether there will even be a NFL season in 2020 because of it.  My point was to put context to the number of covid deaths vs. everything else that kills far more Americans every year.  Whether its sports, education, employment or just everyday activities you have to wonder how long people in that age range are going to keep hiding under rocks when the odds of serious health complications are astronomically low for them.

This thread is about Covid's impact on the NFL season. This discussion is in regards to the NFL season and how it will be impacted.  Please keep it to that. There is a thread for Covid in the TAST forum if you wish to participate in that which is a little more broad not tied to the NFL season.  If you have any further questions, please feel free to pm a moderator. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Im canadian as well. The reason i suggest that is because were going to host the nhl in two hub cities. So they would already have worked on the logistics for one sport, and could revise protocols to account for the differences between the nfl and nhl (more players, different infrastructure, etc) This is also assuming common sense regulation like needing a negative test to travel, mandarory quarantine upon arrival, etc 

No way man, no offense to my American bretherens but y'all got to deal with that mess that's going on down there.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, VanS said:

Unless the virus mutates into something more dangerous there will be a season.  Right now its no where close to being as deadly as the hype.  Most people get it and are asymptomatic or recover quickly like they do with the flu.  I think the government and media are hyping it up for ulterior motives.  

You forgot the /s.

Edited by Zalixar

50 minutes ago, VanS said:

Let's not go down this path. Again, there is a covid thread in the TAST forum, but every time we try to have a covid sports related thread, it gets locked. Try to keep that from happening here.

• Like 1

NFL Owners/ networks are doing everything they can to have some games, generate some revenue. Even an abbreviated season helps their cause.
The question is how the players feel about this. Players on a 4-12 squad don't have hope for a Super Bowl, but they play anyways because they are pro's and its their chosen profession.

So it raises a question: If we knew for certain they couldn't finish the season, does that change how fans feel about starting the season ?
Do we want some football over no football if we knew the playoffs couldn't happen ?

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Again, there is a covid thread in the TAST forum

For reference. 

We understand this is a very complex topic, but we ask you keep it to Football here, in this particular forum. If you want to have a deeper discussion, please follow the link.

Tks.

- ET

• Like 2

Isn't it something like 30% of the income is from tickets? And then like 30% of it is just money the NFL has in surplus? I'm sure they can handle relying on TV deals and money they already saved. The issue is what european sports faced back in March, paying players.

6 minutes ago, Drained said:

Isn't it something like 30% of the income is from tickets?

3 main buckets of NFL revenue and the ticket sales fall under the "local" bucket. In the past, the local money was dwarfed by TV, but the local cash has grown immensely in recent times.  TV cash is still King, but the local monies are quite significant to the league and plays a big role in next years' salary cap calculation. That impacts both the players and owners

http://salarycapcrunch.com/projecting-nfl-salary-cap-2016-20-seasons/

There are three main “buckets” of All Revenue.

Media — Revenue the NFL earns by selling the rights to broadcast games on television and radio. Currently the NFL has television broadcast agreements with NBC, CBS, FOX, and ESPN. The right to operate Sunday Ticket, which allows subscribers to watch out-of-market games, is held by Direct TV. Radio rights are held by Westwood Media and SiriusXM. The NFL also receives nominal payments from the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) for the re-transmission of certain games.

NFL Ventures, L.P. — Income generated via the NFL corporate entity NFL Ventures, L.P. This entity is responsible for all NFL revenue generated at the national level, excluding TV and radio broadcasting revenue. This bucket includes revenue generated by the NFL Network, sponsorship, licensing, NFL productions, and miscellaneous smaller revenue sources.

Local — Local revenue generated by individual teams via gate receipts, luxury box sales, concessions, parking, local sponsorship and advertising, and any other team-generated revenue.

• Like 1

I think that they will have high hopes for a season to start but as soon as 1 player comes down with it then the league will be shut down.

Same thing that happened in NBA. 1 player got it, teammates got it from him, other teams that team played recently were tested and then the whole league got shut down.

Since it's a thing that spreads by close contact--as soon as 1 player gets it then entire NFL will be on pause. And let's be honest......1 player IS going to get it eventually.

• Like 1

I bet they drastically limit game day rosters. I could see it being 35 players at most on game day.

If that happens, my biggest fear is owners using that to argue why NFL teams should be cut down. They’re already trying to accomplish that by eliminating special teams.