Covid-19 and it’s impact on the 2020 season

candyman93

39 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I bet they drastically limit game day rosters. I could see it being 35 players at most on game day.

If that happens, my biggest fear is owners using that to argue why NFL teams should be cut down. They’re already trying to accomplish that by eliminating special teams. 

They just signed the new CBA that allows for 48 actives instead of 46 and they also have a provision to move (2) guys from PS to active on Sunday, without needing to pass through waivers to return to PS. The Packers Prez also said they are working on language to allow more vets on PS, in the past they were ineligible for PS once they played in a certain number of reg season games. So it appears they are moving to larger rosters, larger PS and more relaxed PS rules.

I don't know how COVID impacts those new roster rules, I'm sure they are being discussed by both league and union. The one comment I did read was the idea of having the PS guys practice away from starters and not travel to away games. That gives teams a bullpen of sequestered guys in case of an outbreak

• Like 2

On 7/6/2020 at 7:56 PM, AkronsWitness said:

I think that they will have high hopes for a season to start but as soon as 1 player comes down with it then the league will be shut down.

Same thing that happened in NBA. 1 player got it, teammates got it from him, other teams that team played recently were tested and then the whole league got shut down.

Since it's a thing that spreads by close contact--as soon as 1 player gets it then entire NFL will be on pause. And let's be honest......1 player IS going to get it eventually.

Let's clarify, there's no evidence that there was a single patient zero for the whole NBA.

On 7/6/2020 at 5:38 PM, Shanedorf said:

So it raises a question: If we knew for certain they couldn't finish the season, does that change how fans feel about starting the season ?
Do we want some football over no football if we knew the playoffs couldn't happen ?

Yes.  My dream scenario is that the Bengals start 3-0 before the season is shut down, so that i argue they were SB bound for the next year.

• Like 1

I just think the situation in the USA is so much different in each state, that it's impossible to have a regular season with flying teams to away games. 

If there's gonna be a season, it's likely that they're gonna use a set of neutral venues, and play all conference games in a time frame at 1 venue, and then re locate the teams and have 4 teams play each other again at 1 venue.

Edited by Killashaw

As much as I hate to say it, it would be beyond irresponsible to have a season this year. I know the likelihood of a world class athlete dying from the virus is pretty slim, but what if just one guy died? Obviously it would be tragic, but imagine the PR nightmare that would ensue after. I can't see the season lasting more than a few weeks.

One silver lining to the season being cancelled is saying "It's been a quarter century since the Cowboys have done anything" would be 100% accurate now.

2 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

As much as I hate to say it, it would be beyond irresponsible to have a season this year. I know the likelihood of a world class athlete dying from the virus is pretty slim, but what if just one guy died?

The players are healthy and young and that gives them a leg up...however...its a novel virus and we're learning more and more each day about the deleterious effects from infection- even among those with mild or no symptoms.  So while a death would be absolutely horrible on many levels- there are other significant risks and concerns for these guys. Lung scarring is one, and we heard how long it took Von Miller to feel better and back in shape - many weeks. There are also reports coming out about cognitive impairment in recovered patients and studies are looking at the impacts on the brain. Too many unknowns at this point

Playing this year is driven by money alone and the ones pushing the hardest, NFL Owners, sit safely ensconced in their private suites while demanding the players risk their health and livelihood on the field. Its really quite absurd. I love football and a part of me really wants a 2020 season. But there's another part of me that realizes its totally selfish for me to ask these players to take on immense added risk.... safely ensconced in my private living room.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

😂 

You can tackle a guy likely with cuts that come from playing an NFL game, but not exchange jerseys with him afterwards. This doesn’t sound like it’s going to help all that much.

Wouldn’t shock me if the owners didn’t like the idea of jersey exchanging and just figured it’s a great opportunity to cut that out before it becomes a deep seated tradition.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2