Covid-19 and it’s impact on the 2020 season

candyman93

Hard to envision any team sport having a season this year. And you know Madden and NBA2K won't really make any improvements to their franchise modes, so it's just crap all around. 

At least we get Wrestling, MMA, and Boxing.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, skywindO2 said:

When I saw a Packer fan quoted me, I knew they were going to post this pic.

There's a surprising number of these "bitter handshakes" over the years, including  Buddy Ryan, Bill Parcells and even Wade Phillips in addition to the ones I posted.  I guess this year will be the "COVID head nod"  if games any are actually played.

• Like 1

Im sorry, you are telling them to keep 6 feet after they just spent 2-4 hours pushing, falling on top of, wrapping up, and sweating all over each other? That makes zero sense. Tell the coaching staff to remain on there own sideline and wear masks at all times, that makes some sense, but even then are they social distancing from the guys who just came out of a pile after a fumble? 

If you are going to have a season anyways, these little micro rules are meaningless. 

• Like 2

Just now, Deadpulse said:

If you are going to have a season anyways, these little micro rules are meaningless. 

Its theater - to give the impression that they are concerned, listening to health experts.
And the players aren't falling for it

In another article, the league talked about making sure the stadium cleaners stand out front and clean, clean, clean so everybody can see them cleaning
More theater, the Theater of the Absurd.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Hard to envision any team sport having a season this year. And you know Madden and NBA2K won't really make any improvements to their franchise modes, so it's just crap all around. 

At least we get Wrestling, MMA, and Boxing.

NFL will fight tooth and nail to have a season, just like how the NBA has fought tooth and nail to close out it's season and how the MLB haven't given up on trying to get on the field. The NFL will still make a lot from even having to concede a little on the seatings.

I think with the sheer amount of players the NFL has, it is very unlikely that a full season is played. All it takes is one player getting it, and then half the team has it, and then the league is shutdown. I am very sad at coming to this realization :(

• Like 2

I'm guessing like 25 out of the 32 head coaches are in the 50+ age group that should be most concerned about this virus. Ok maybe not 25, but like 15. Pete Carroll/BB/Arians should sit this one out.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Drained said:

NFL will fight tooth and nail to have a season, just like how the NBA has fought tooth and nail to close out it's season and how the MLB haven't given up on trying to get on the field. The NFL will still make a lot from even having to concede a little on the seatings.

Of course. They'll probably even manage to start the season. Just not finish it.

Not sure if any of you are following Australian Rules Football (I've been a fan for over 4 years, and have a podcast about the game....there are still 6 more games being broadcast on ESPN2, FS1/FS2 this weekend, and if you're not watching, it is a fantastic sport.) 

They played their first round in March, and shut down until early June.  The state of Victoria (where 10 of the 18 teams in the league are located) had clubs playing against one another for the first 4 weeks of the restart.

The two clubs from Perth and the two clubs from Adelaide were located to Queensland, as West Australia and South Australia closed their borders to people coming from other states, but Queensland's Covid-19 breakout was much less severe.  

Victoria (where Melbourne is located) has had a significant spike in recent weeks, and the state premier closed down the city proper of Melbourne for 6 weeks, beginning this past Tuesday.  All 10 teams flew out to either Sydney or Queensland (Brisband/Gold Coast) and will play for the next week or two.  The Adelaide and Perth teams are heading home in the next week or two, and will host hubs in their stadiums over the next month.  The Victoria teams know that they'll be away form home for at least the next 6-7 weeks.  The AFL reduced the length of their season from 22 games to 17 rounds this year, where they play each of the other teams once, instead of playing 5 teams twice, and the other 12 a single time.

I discussed this in the episode The NFL is actually well set for hosting hubs.  As all of you know, each division plays 14 of their 16 games against 3 different divisions each year.  I'm going to use the AFC North, as I'm a Browns fan.

The AFC North play each other twice.  There are 6 games right there.

They play the NFC East.  There are 4 games there.

They play AFC South this year.  An additional 4 games.  That gives us 14 games.

The Browns also play the Jets and Raiders this year, as they finished in 3rd place in the AFC East/AFC West.

The league may need to completely upend the schedule, and set up hubs for different divisions.  For example, again using Cleveland as an example, the AFC North could relocate to the Cleveland area, where the Browns could train at their facility (just an example), the other three teams could practice at Baldwin Wallace, John Carroll and Mount Union or Lake Erie College or Kent State.  

So Weeks 1-6 could be the 6 divisional games. You play each of your divison opponents twice.  Cleveland plays Baltimore in Weeks 1 and 4, Pittsburgh in weeks 2 and 5 and Cincinnati in weeks 3 and 6.  Slight Edit to this idea...These 6 games could be split into two different "mini-hubs" where one could be played, for example, in the Cleveland area, and the other in the Baltimore area possibly.

Weeks 7-10 AFC North plays NFC East.  Maybe in the Philadelphia area.

Week 11 Bye week for the entire league.

Weeks 12-15 AFC North plays AFC South.  Maybe in the Indianapolis area.

Weeks 16 and 17, who knows.  Maybe Covid-19 has died down, and the final two weeks can be played in home stadiums.  Otherwise, maybe they have to be scrapped, or played at an alternative site.  This way, we might have a possibility of having most of a season, or if we're lucky, an entire season.  

It was just an idea that I put together, and based it upon what the AFL is doing.  It hasn't been perfect, but the games are being played, supporters have something to cheer for, and in Queensland and New South Wales, they've even begun to allow small crowds into the stadiums.  

Here is the episode of the recent episode (Tuesday), where I outlined what the NFL could do.  Podcast episode

Edited by Bucketheadsdad
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Of course. They'll probably even manage to start the season. Just not finish it.

Which would work in their favor, I will almost guarantee you this upcoming NBA tournament will gather some of the biggest viewership totals the NBA will ever have.

The NFL, I believe, thinking about their greed, will probably cancel early citing COVID-19 and then restart a bit later.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Drained said:

I am thinking they do what the NBA and MLS has done, tournament style, world cup preferably, shortened season but still fun for fans

I'd love to see a double elimination tournament for both conferences, then a SB with the two winners.

It would be frantic, fast paced football. Every game is a playoff game in essence. 

• Like 2