Redskins Minority Owners Want Out

MKnight82

2 hours ago, Brian23 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/could-snyder-be-on-way-out/id1435515037?i=1000482912887

I'm really curious as to where this might go. As it sounds like things are crumbling down around Snyder.

You can only run something into the ground for so long before the chickens come home to roost. If the Redskins were winning and had a Mahomes/Brady at QB with Snyder being a good guy I bet the name change thing would’ve died. Instead, he’s been a pompous jerk for so long and the mess he allowed Allen to create for 10 years killed any goodwill the franchise had left. Make no mistake about it, this name change thing is the other owners being pissed off at Dan. They’ve had enough of him being an idiot. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You can only run something into the ground for so long before the chickens come home to roost. If the Redskins were winning and had a Mahomes/Brady at QB with Snyder being a good guy I bet the name change thing would’ve died. Instead, he’s been a pompous jerk for so long and the mess he allowed Allen to create for 10 years killed any goodwill the franchise had left. Make no mistake about it, this name change thing is the other owners being pissed off at Dan. They’ve had enough of him being an idiot. 

I mean, let's go look at the Orioles.  Similar ineptitude from the owners, but at least the Orioles from 2011-2017 were pretty damn respectable.  Snyder can't really point to a comparable run.  On top of that, you can call Angelos meddling as much as Snyder, but at least he is on the side of the labor force, which few owners in any sport can say.  With the exception of his crazy physicals, Angelos really didn't do anything negative against the players.  He never aired dirty laundry from the front office in the way that Snyder allowed Allen to do.  He always viewed ownership of the Orioles as a public trust, and kept one of the best stadiums in sports in great condition.  

Meanwhile, Snyder has done just about everything he can in the past 10 years to embarrass his co-owners.  The way he fired McCloughan and Lafemina, what he let Bruce Allen do in regards to public relations and to the players, and the list goes down.  The stadium that is only 20 years old is crumbling around us on gameday, and has the famous obstructed view seats they sold to people.  He royally screwed up the views for everyone between the endzones with the dream seats due to his greed.  On top of that, Lafemina proved the waitlist was fake, and that Snyder is just selling the tickets to scalpers at this point.  

The stories are that Snyder just sits at ownership meetings and is quiet and reserved.  Not at all the type of owner they expected when they approved a guy in his early 30's who they thought would be a great fit for a flagship franchise in the nation's capital, which is still an important thing to the NFL.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I dunno...the Indians have been one of the best teams in baseball for the last half-decade plus, and Larry Dolan is generally considered to be a genuinely good guy. They’re still under pressure for the name change thing, too, and I think their nickname is objectively less controversial than ours. I think it’s just one of those things that doesn’t really fall on anybody’s shoulders, the world is just changing. 

I really couldn’t care less about the minority owners wanting out — I genuinely didn’t even know they existed until I read three days ago that they wanted out. Their presence has done nothing to enhance the team’s success; somehow, remarkably, their record as minority owners is worse than Snyder’s as principal owner.

It does have a “rats deserting a sinking ship” feel to it, there’s no doubt about that. But I don’t think I agree that things are on a downward trajectory currently. The name change is disappointing. The COVID stuff is unsettling and sure. But the team hasn’t had this kind of young talent in ages, and it probably hasn’t been this well-coached in a good while either. We’ll see. 

51 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I really couldn’t care less about the minority owners wanting out — I genuinely didn’t even know they existed until I read three days ago that they wanted out. Their presence has done nothing to enhance the team’s success; somehow, remarkably, their record as minority owners is worse than Snyder’s as principal owner.

It does have a “rats deserting a sinking ship” feel to it, there’s no doubt about that. But I don’t think I agree that things are on a downward trajectory currently. The name change is disappointing. The COVID stuff is unsettling and sure. But the team hasn’t had this kind of young talent in ages, and it probably hasn’t been this well-coached in a good while either. We’ll see. 

I never thought of that. Maybe this was just the perfect opportunity for them to finally get themselves the attention they always wanted?

Because if this isn't about attention and ego, I can't imagine what else it is about.  Publicly saying you are unhappy and want to sell isn't exactly going to drive the price up or create a bidding war.  And could the timing have been better the  year before there might not even be a season?   Just bad business if you ask me.  

12 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Why not? It would be efficiently run and he is largely hands off.

There's a lot of issues with the way Amazon is run as well. I'm not saying it's apples to apples. I'm sure he would spend some money, and it's all but a guarantee it'd be better than the current product. I just have this feeling in the back of my head I don't love.

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

There's a lot of issues with the way Amazon is run as well. I'm not saying it's apples to apples. I'm sure he would spend some money, and it's all but a guarantee it'd be better than the current product. I just have this feeling in the back of my head I don't love.

I would look more at what he did to the Washington Post as well as growing AWS

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Jeff Bezos is always looking for another investment 

He won’t work for Snyder, especially not with most NFL owners 68 or over.  You can bet he is going to wait until one of them passes away and the team is sold.  He will buy it outright with no co-owners.