Redskins Minority Owners Want Out

MKnight82

9 hours ago, offbyone said:

I never thought of that. Maybe this was just the perfect opportunity for them to finally get themselves the attention they always wanted?

Because if this isn't about attention and ego, I can't imagine what else it is about.  Publicly saying you are unhappy and want to sell isn't exactly going to drive the price up or create a bidding war.  And could the timing have been better the  year before there might not even be a season?   Just bad business if you ask me.  

If I had the money I'd be on the phone with these guys right now trying to see what's going on. I'm interested in buying that 40% from them or 60% from Snyder and Owning part of this Franchise if not becoming Full Owner. 

I think it's a Great time to get out this deal or began something new. Things are really seeming to be heading in the right direction for this franchise at the moment. Haskins, Young, Rivera, Kyle Smith, Mclaruin, the Defense, and Del Rio gives this team a lot of Positive Momentum going forward. 

I definitely see the name change happening before the season. I don't see Snyder actually selling his portion of the team though. He will do what needs to be done to continue this Great off-season minus Covid-19 in my opinion. With or without these guy's. 

11 hours ago, offbyone said:

Publicly saying you are unhappy and want to sell isn't exactly going to drive the price up or create a bidding war.  And could the timing have been better the  year before there might not even be a season?   Just bad business if you ask me.  

Not to mention, Fred Smith (one of the minority owners, evidently, news to me) is the CEO of FedEx. Meaning he, through his company, played a big role in triggering the cascade of demands from corporate partners to change the name. 

Which will, likely, also have a detrimental effect on the valuation of the team. At least in the short term. 

The timing of it definitely feels weird to me. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Not to mention, Fred Smith (one of the minority owners, evidently, news to me) is the CEO of FedEx. Meaning he, through his company, played a big role in triggering the cascade of demands from corporate partners to change the name. 

Which will, likely, also have a detrimental effect on the valuation of the team. At least in the short term. 

Really weird.  Not a business decision that is for sure.  They won't look so smart if this triggers a new stadium and they lose out on the sponsorship.  I wouldn't be surprised if snyder just buys up their interest although this might be some kind of personal gripe where they refuse to sell it to snyder.  

The name thing has been going on for a while.  Most people picked a side years ago.  Clearly fedex picked the side of being ok with it.  So to me, for the minority owner/stadium sponsor to suddenly be all up in arms about this is some weak sauce.  Maybe it isn't Fred Smith but someone on the board at FedEx that finally pushed for this.  Definitely a conflict of interest when you have the CEO of Fedex sponsoring another company he is a part owner of.  Someone on the board might be using this issue to push an agenda.  

I also think these companies are playing with fire boycotting stuff.  Nobody is perfect and generally these big companies have big flaws.  Nike for instance is known for slave like labor in china.  If we want to play the boycott game, well....

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I thought I heard that this wasn’t a new ask by Fred Smith and the other minority owners. I thought I heard they had been pushing Snyder to change the name for years and wanted to sell. It’s been driven to this point bc of once again Dan Snyder.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Really weird.  Not a business decision that is for sure.  They won't look so smart if this triggers a new stadium and they lose out on the sponsorship.  I wouldn't be surprised if snyder just buys up their interest although this might be some kind of personal gripe where they refuse to sell it to snyder.  

The name thing has been going on for a while.  Most people picked a side years ago.  Clearly fedex picked the side of being ok with it.  So to me, for the minority owner/stadium sponsor to suddenly be all up in arms about this is some weak sauce.  Maybe it isn't Fred Smith but someone on the board at FedEx that finally pushed for this.  Definitely a conflict of interest when you have the CEO of Fedex sponsoring another company he is a part owner of.  Someone on the board might be using this issue to push an agenda.  

I also think these companies are playing with fire boycotting stuff.  Nobody is perfect and generally these big companies have big flaws.  Nike for instance is known for slave like labor in china.  If we want to play the boycott game, well....

I don’t think Snyder is going to want to buy more of an interest in the team, he’s going to want to find people to replace Fed Ex & NV Homes, etc. Any % of their 40% that the minority owners Snyder doesn’t get someone else to buy is money out of his pockets.

Also, we shouldn’t ignore that the Redskins have been losing part of its market share of DC fans under Snyder. They aren’t Top 10 in Sports Franchises is value anymore. In 2018 they were 10th, last year they were 14th. So, they’re heading in the wrong direction. So, perhaps the Minority Owners who actually know more about the teams financials then any of us are seeing this disturbing trend and wanting to get out while the boat is sinking rather than waiting too long to when Snyder has already sunk the ship entirely.

Edited by turtle28

52 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think Snyder is going to want to buy more of an interest in the team, he’s going to want to find people to replace Fed Ex & NV Homes, etc. Any % of their 40% that the minority owners Snyder doesn’t get someone else to buy is money out of his pockets.

Also, we shouldn’t ignore that the Redskins have been losing part of its market share of DC fans under Snyder. They aren’t Top 10 in Sports Franchises is value anymore. In 2018 they were 10th, last year they were 14th. So, they’re heading in the wrong direction. So, perhaps the Minority Owners who actually know more about the teams financials then any of us are seeing this disturbing trend and wanting to get out while the boat is sinking rather than waiting too long to when Snyder has already sunk the ship entirely.

Agree with this mostly.  A smart businessman though, which from time to time snyder has proven himself being, might buy those minority shares at a low with the plans on selling them at a high when the redskins start winning again.  

6 hours ago, offbyone said:

Unless Fred is trying to stave off the boycotting of FedEx by starting the cascade of events and then publicly saying he wants out. I mean, let's be honest. It's still an NFL franchise. Which is the 7th most valuable (at the moment). Even selling low, he's gonna get $250m-$350m per each 10% he owns. So he's signalling he wants out, which protects his FedEx investment and also keeps him in the mob's good graces. And meanwhile he can negotiate an exit strategy. I doubt he's gonna sell it at a loss. So in this respect, I guarantee you that he has decided the juice isn't worth the squeeze and is protecting his FedEx investment while he still makes money on the Redskins deal.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think they are still 7th in the NFL though. That's not all sports franchises worldwide, but that also ain't nothing either.

I agree with you on the minority ownership. He's not going to want to own all 100%.

9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

If covid wrecks the 2020 season selling now would be selling high.

I mean, if you are determined to get out in the next couple years, okay. But that's pretty short sighted for an investment that has, conservatively, quadrupled in value over the last 20 years.

38 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Unless Fred is trying to stave off the boycotting of FedEx by starting the cascade of events and then publicly saying he wants out. I mean, let's be honest. It's still an NFL franchise. Which is the 7th most valuable (at the moment). Even selling low, he's gonna get $250m-$350m per each 10% he owns. So he's signalling he wants out, which protects his FedEx investment and also keeps him in the mob's good graces. And meanwhile he can negotiate an exit strategy. I doubt he's gonna sell it at a loss. So in this respect, I guarantee you that he has decided the juice isn't worth the squeeze and is protecting his FedEx investment while he still makes money on the Redskins deal.

Interesting point of view.  I hope some one does some analysis on the worth of these shares so we can see how smart this was in the end.  Although I would point out that a 50M difference is pretty big.  

• Like 1