2018 Draft Eligible LB Thread.

Tugboat

Should there not be one of these to talk about the various off-ball Linebackers in this draft?  Apologies if i've somehow missed it.

But i need a place to gush about my prospect crush on Malik Jefferson (Texas).  This guy looks like a prototypical contemporary off ball LBer to me.  Plays with a ton of game speed and instincts, comes downhill hard when he sees something and trusts those instincts.  Sifts through blocks.  Great size for the position.  Just has a knack for impact plays as a LBer.  Is there much not to like there?  Looks like a solid 1st Round LBer to me, if not potential Top-15.

Jefferson is a splash play linebacker. There's nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't be drafting him to be my thumping ILB that brings it on every down. He is not good at taking on blocks, which is death for ILB's. He's going to have to play SAM and cover TE's and be the occasional blitzer. I see him getting flattened by big interior lineman right now.

Jefferson is getting better at run support. As well as getting off blocks. So at least we see him making progress. But I wouldn't say he's worth a top 20 yet. 

I've said this before. But from a physical stand point. He is every bit as impressive as Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack. But he is neither as polished as Smith nor as big of a playmaker as Jack. 

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Jefferson is a splash play linebacker. There's nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't be drafting him to be my thumping ILB that brings it on every down. He is not good at taking on blocks, which is death for ILB's. He's going to have to play SAM and cover TE's and be the occasional blitzer. I see him getting flattened by big interior lineman right now.

Yeah.  I wouldn't use him as an oldschool "thumper" inside just scraping away.  That'd be a miscasting.  He's not a classic stack and shed inside backer by any means.  But then, that's not exactly the prototype anymore is it?  Teams can find those heavy duty kinda limited inside thumper linebackers to duke it out in traffic later; but a good deal of the league seem to be moving away from that anyway.  A lot of very good NFL LBers who are going to lose badly in any sort of direct Big Uglies on LBer skirmishes.  He certainly could use more work there to continue improving in that respect, but to me that's largely a coaching up thing with a fairly raw player.  The athletic traits should be there to hold his own inside, and it seems to me there's already been improvement there.

He is at his best when he's got some space to diagnose and run, and slip blocks altogether.  Which makes me think his best NFL fit might actually be as a 4-3 Will where you can really keep OL off him more and let him run, which could hurt his perceived "value" i suppose.  But i think he's got the size, athletic traits, and instincts to potentially play all 3 spots in a 4-3 with a bit of polish work.  Just seems like the sort of athlete with range and instincts that fits what contemporary defenses are mostly looking to do.  Bigtime upside imo.  Those "splash" plays are the sort of dynamic impact i want in a LBer, and a ton of them right now seem to be just off raw talent and instincts.

I'm biased due to being one of his former coaches/teachers, but I'd keep an eye out for Arius Moore (NC State, 4 year starter) as a late round/UDFA guy. Great footwork, great instincts, physically only about 6'0 230/235, and likely to be a 2 down ILB at the NFL level.

He's #58 for N.C. State. Had a great bowl game last year (hurdled a RB for a sack), gave DeShone Kizer fits last year (albeit in a monsoon), and had a nice interception in the end zone this year.

Archived