2018 Draft Eligible LB Thread.

Tugboat

3 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

He’s very intriguing, huge on screen - but much better hoovering things up behind the line than coming down hill, he’s really rangy.

How do you think he fits in a 3-4? I'm in love with his athleticism and length. Having a guy like him for the Steelers would be very interesting. 

14 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

How do you think he fits in a 3-4? I'm in love with his athleticism and length. Having a guy like him for the Steelers would be very interesting. 

Steelers is literally the first place I thought of when you see his skill-set and what they might miss with Shazier out. 

On 12/21/2017 at 1:00 PM, Da_Ducktator said:

Better start up the Leighton Vander Esch hype now, people. His testing could push him into the late 1st. I really had expected him to stay another year, but he was a stud all year and does a lot of things well. 

Hey Duck, I normally like your LB evaluations, so what do you think of this guy? I haven't seen much out of the linebacker corps save a few guys at the top, and some later round guys. 

2 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Tremaine Edmunds is very similar to Anthony Barr

Except Barr was close to 260lbs, and I'd be surprised if Edmunds hits 230 at the combine. Plays way closer to a taller Shaq Thompson. Which isn't a bad ceiling to have. He also doesn't take on blocks nearly as well as Barr ever has. Doesn't use his hands to disengage rarely. He is  instinctual, however he can be beaten by a good play action, but having the otherworldly speed to recover helps . He's a day two OLB, but I wouldn't mind having that kind of player on my team 

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:
9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Malik Jefferson was a disappointing watch. I’d struggle to name five things he’s good at.

He's good between the tackles. He's a 2 down player unless he loses the bad weight he has.

He's great when they move him all over. He's terrible when they ask him to stand there and make true LB'er reads. You're drafting this kid on potential...because he has a ton of bad tape. That being said, he has a very high ceiling and can play multiple LB spots (in theory). He plays LB like a FS....it's frustrating as hell, but he does create a lot of splash plays. Probably the opposite of a safe pick, but it could pay off in the long run. He obviously plays a different position, but he reminds me of Malik McDowell from last year's draft in terms of the potential vs. the tape. I expect them to get drafted around the same area too.

3 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

He's not a day 2 guy. He's better than Roquan Smith.

I watched VT live twice this year. Both games he disappointed me when I kept hearing about what a stud 1st round pick this dude was. He isn't a bad player and will likely go in the middle of round 2, but I'm not sold on him going any higher. Like I said, I only watched him twice, but both times I came away thinking "meh..." Maybe I caught some bad tapes and admittedly I need to watch more, but I don't think he's better than Roquan, whom I'm also not in love with as a complete LB'er. And I doubt Roquan and Edmunds will play the same position in the NFL. Edmunds is a guy I'd like to see play SLB because of his length. He seems like an ideal TE matcher whereas Roquan can't play in between the tackles. Edmunds has a lot of traits, but I wasn't able to identify one thing that he does exceptionally well. Maybe those of you who have watched him more can shed some light as to why he's getting 1st round pub?

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's great when they move him all over. He's terrible when they ask him to stand there and make true LB'er reads. You're drafting this kid on potential...because he has a ton of bad tape. That being said, he has a very high ceiling and can play multiple LB spots (in theory). He plays LB like a FS....it's frustrating as hell, but he does create a lot of splash plays. Probably the opposite of a safe pick, but it could pay off in the long run. He obviously plays a different position, but he reminds me of Malik McDowell from last year's draft in terms of the potential vs. the tape. I expect them to get drafted around the same area too.

Yeah, he’s generate plenty of pop on contact, doesn’t get blown off like the Clemson backers. But seems awful at making reads. I lost count how many times he came down hill on a bad angle, or just couldn’t locate the ball when he did. He just doesn’t seem very instinctual as a run defender, despite being built for it.

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I watched VT live twice this year. Both games he disappointed me when I kept hearing about what a stud 1st round pick this dude was. He isn't a bad player and will likely go in the middle of round 2, but I'm not sold on him going any higher. Like I said, I only watched him twice, but both times I came away thinking "meh..." Maybe I caught some bad tapes and admittedly I need to watch more, but I don't think he's better than Roquan, whom I'm also not in love with as a complete LB'er. And I doubt Roquan and Edmunds will play the same position in the NFL. Edmunds is a guy I'd like to see play SLB because of his length. He seems like an ideal TE matcher whereas Roquan can't play in between the tackles. Edmunds has a lot of traits, but I wasn't able to identify one thing that he does exceptionally well. Maybe those of you who have watched him more can shed some light as to why he's getting 1st round pub?

If you can match up on TE's and have the speed to track RB's out of the backfield, then that's incredibly valuable in the modern NFL. It's going to be the sort-after traits that sees him drafted high, guys built that way shouldn't be able to move with the ease he does. 

23 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Hey Duck, I normally like your LB evaluations, so what do you think of this guy? I haven't seen much out of the linebacker corps save a few guys at the top, and some later round guys. 

I appreciate the kind words. I like Vander Esch a good amount. I think his read an react skills against the run and pass are quite good. You don't see wasted steps in his game. Vander Esch is long and rangy and looks natural playing in zone coverage. However, Boise's scheme is pretty much all zone so we haven't seen him matched up directly with a tight end, which somebody with his length and athleticism is going to be expected to do at the NFL. I think the tools are there but there is a few flaws in his game which would probably cause me to wait until the 2nd to draft him instead of the 1st. For one, he tries to bench press everything. You don't see much hand usage when taking on blockers either in the run game or pass rushing. It works sometimes, but my main concern with this is he still has somewhat skinny legs so he has a hard time holding ground in the run game like this. I've seen him folded over a few times trying to take on bigger lineman because he simply cannot outstrength them. Also, he has a tendency to put his head down on contact. When that happens, it makes him vulnerable to cutbacks and not being able to do much about because he cannot see where the ball is going. 

He seems like a well-spoken kid (has handled press well this year) but it is noteworthy to point out that he hasn't been the point of communication on that defense. The kid has all the tools to be special, but he is certainly going to be a bit of work. Vander Esch only played six games in 2016 and didn't start in 2015 and comes from a small high school in Idaho. The length and overall athleticism is certainly there and he has the ability to play any linebacker spot. But improving his lower body strength, keeping his head up when taking on blockers, playing with better leverage in the run game, and adjusting to playing man coverage are going to be the main areas that determine if he ends up just serviceable or a potential pro bowler.

Archived