2018 Draft Eligible LB Thread.

Tugboat

6 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Agree with this. Evans is one of those dudes that would be good even if he weren't a freak athlete. His closing speed as a pass rusher and as a filling LB looks fake...best I've seen in a while for a dude that can actually hit when he arrives there. It's what separates him from guys like Darron Lee and Ryan Shazir as prospects. And Shazir is good now, but I thought he was a little cupcakey at the POA in college. He closes so fast it makes my head spin. I think he can play multiple LB spots in multiple defenses.

Is a twitchier more svelt Jamie Collins a terrible comp? They don't physically look similar, but I expect them to win the same ways and be a dude that consistently makes splash plays.

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Agree with this. Evans is one of those dudes that would be good even if he weren't a freak athlete. His closing speed as a pass rusher and as a filling LB looks fake...best I've seen in a while for a dude that can actually hit when he arrives there. It's what separates him from guys like Darron Lee and Ryan Shazir as prospects. And Shazir is good now, but I thought he was a little cupcakey at the POA in college. He closes so fast it makes my head spin. I think he can play multiple LB spots in multiple defenses.

Is a twitchier more svelt Jamie Collins a terrible comp? They don't physically look similar, but I expect them to win the same ways and be a dude that consistently makes splash plays.

I agree with this. Evans fills better than Collins. Being a UGA fan I want to like Smith more but I dont know if I can. Evans is a stud

7 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I don't have an opinion. I want to hear others

I think he's going to do just fine. I think he's a 4-3 MLB in the NFL. His instincts are great, and he's a better athlete than people give him credit for. I'm interested to see what he actually weighs because he looks slight to me sometimes.

Anyone watched Kansas LB Joe Dineen Jr. or Boise State LB Leighton Vander Esch? I'm box score scouting a few LB's and those 2 stuck out, particularly Vander Esch, who is listed at 6'4" 240 and has 2 picks, 2 PBU's, 2 FF's, 3 sacks, and 4.5 TFL to go along with 79 combined tackles. Dineen is 3rd in the nation in total tackles (99) and also tied for 3rd in TFL (15.5).

On 11/1/2017 at 1:58 PM, CalhounLambeau said:

Help Tacklers are the worst.

I'm here to help!  Here's me!  I'm late to actually making any impact, but i showed up!!!

That's just hustle.  That you can coach, and it's infuriating when a guy isn't that.  I want LBers who are the there, the first to make a play.  Rallying to the ball isn't a skill...it's a work ethic.  And i don't want anyone without a work ethic on my team.  But help tackler fetishism is where you get like...Arthur Browns.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I want LBers who are the there, the first to make a play. Help Tacklers are the worst. I'm here to help!  Here's me!  I'm late to actually making any impact, but i showed up!  

Since Twitter has character restrictions I should probably elaborate because there is clearly some confusion here. Rashaan Evans is a great teammate who will do anything to support his teammates and put his body in warms way. Based on all the tape I watch the way in which he supports his teammates is not common. I used the term "help tackler" and I don't believe they are the worst. There are usually three linebackers on a field at the same time . Due to direction, scheme, gap responsibility they all take turns being first to the ball, some more than others due to reactionary quickness, athleticism, and film study. There are tons of players in CFB and NFL that ease up when they think the play is over. They may jog to the play. They may run to the pile and watch from a safe distance or maybe help push a player down. Evans is a crusher. I'm always going to point out players like Evans because even though everyone should play that way we know they don't. Players like Evans make good defenses great and help create turnovers. 

On 11/3/2017 at 9:36 AM, GreenShore said:

Roquan Smith looks like he's going to be a dominant player in the NFL. Kid is involved in every play and all over the field. I want him on my team all day.

I found him during the summer. On top of what he does on the field he's rare off the field as well. He's an economics major and watch his SEC media interviews - he handles the media and talks like a 10-year NFL veteran. Everybody brings up his weight. He says he plays at 232 so I expect he'll be well over 235 come combine time. Its been rumored he's almost surely heading to the NFL. Only minor issue is that he's dealt with injuries in the off-season - hasn't impacted him yet during the season. He's not big but he's super smart, has very good reactionary quickness and he's reliable. Who wouldn't like to have him. 

Archived