2018 Draft Eligible LB Thread.

Tugboat

22 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

I found him during the summer. On top of what he does on the field he's rare off the field as well. He's an economics major and watch his SEC media interviews - he handles the media and talks like a 10-year NFL veteran. Everybody brings up his weight. He says he plays at 232 so I expect he'll be well over 235 come combine time. Its been rumored he's almost surely heading to the NFL. Only minor issue is that he's dealt with injuries in the off-season - hasn't impacted him yet during the season. He's not big but he's super smart, has very good reactionary quickness and he's reliable. Who wouldn't like to have him. 

Well I've known about him since he came to UGA... are we playing this game? Haha

On 11/4/2017 at 10:02 AM, CalhounLambeau said:

Since Twitter has character restrictions I should probably elaborate because there is clearly some confusion here. Rashaan Evans is a great teammate who will do anything to support his teammates and put his body in warms way. Based on all the tape I watch the way in which he supports his teammates is not common. I used the term "help tackler" and I don't believe they are the worst. There are usually three linebackers on a field at the same time . Due to direction, scheme, gap responsibility they all take turns being first to the ball, some more than others due to reactionary quickness, athleticism, and film study. There are tons of players in CFB and NFL that ease up when they think the play is over. They may jog to the play. They may run to the pile and watch from a safe distance or maybe help push a player down. Evans is a crusher. I'm always going to point out players like Evans because even though everyone should play that way we know they don't. Players like Evans make good defenses great and help create turnovers. 

Ahhh.  Okay.  That makes more sense.  Obviously nothing wrong with a guy who hustles through the whistle, and a willing tackler.  Love to see that.  But still...to me, those are pretty minimum level requirements for a projectable quality NFL linebacker.  And some if it still can be coached up - especially when guys are on the fringes of a roster and learn they have to put out uncommon effort to stick.

Sure, there are a few LBers on the field at a time and even the best aren't going to be the first one to plays every time.  But there is also a lot of LBer play at the NCAA level that is just way way below NFL level.  My take, is that even the guys who are going to be "decent" at the NFL level, tend to stand out for their ability to get to more plays first, more often than their compatriots by virtue of that superior athletic ability & instincts/vision.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Classic said:

What are the 4-3 LB prospects like this year? Seems the position isn't at well rounded as last season's class.

Like Counselor said there is Smith. 

I like Josey Jewell a lot, and there's Matthew Thomas from FSU, Malik Jefferson from Texas. Guys like Rashaan Evans and Dorance Armstrong might fit but I'm not totally sure where they project.

19 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I'll add Jerome Baker to the list. He's probably the fastest 4-3 LB this draft.

He's been a colossal disappointment this year after having a good year last year. He's lost in coverage almost always against TE's and teams that utilize an H/Fullback and really struggles at the point of attack. He's great sideline to sideline but those former two areas are huge weaknesses. Right now he's a poor man's Darron Lee and I thought Baker going into this year was primed for a Ryan Shazier career/breakout year.

On 11/28/2017 at 2:13 PM, MWil23 said:

He's been a colossal disappointment this year after having a good year last year. He's lost in coverage almost always against TE's and teams that utilize an H/Fullback and really struggles at the point of attack. He's great sideline to sideline but those former two areas are huge weaknesses. Right now he's a poor man's Darron Lee and I thought Baker going into this year was primed for a Ryan Shazier career/breakout year.

Have any of the Ohio State LBers really played well this year?  I haven't felt anything worth remembering from any of them, or really probably 90% of the defense.  Did they change the scheme up?  Seems like they are all a step slower than last year.

11 minutes ago, Raves said:

Have any of the Ohio State LBers really played well this year?  I haven't felt anything worth remembering from any of them, or really probably 90% of the defense.  Did they change the scheme up?  Seems like they are all a step slower than last year.

They miss McMillan for sure and lack a true Mike linebacker . Worley is ok but an average athlete. Baker is an athletic freak and great sideline to sideline. The others like Borland have been disappointing. Same basic scheme but they really miss a guy named Luke Fickel who many stupidly bashed for years IMO.

Archived