Bears fans, don't look (fun SI article - NFL "what-ifs")

notthatbluestuff

mahomes.webp

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/07/03/10-what-ifs-patrick-mahomes-robert-griffin-chip-kelly

What if: 

1. Chip Kelly got Marcus Mariota?
2. The Jets drafted Russell Wilson?
3. RGIII never got hurt?
4. The Eagles hired Ben McAdoo?
5. The Bears drafted Mahomes/Watson?
6. Nickell Robey-Coleman was called for PI?
7. Myles Jack wasn't ruled down?
8. The Rams remained in St. Louis?
9. Andy Reid went to the Cardinals?
10. The world accepted Kaepernick's movement from day one?

What are some notable NFL "what-ifs" that keep you up at night? 

What if Elway, Kubiak, and Wade Phillips all retired after SB 50?

On 104.3 The Fan in Denver, I think that Sandy Clough said something about how Kubiak wanted to retire after that game, and he tried to get Elway to join him. If he did, and if Wade also retired, the last four years of Denver football would be very different (and, it's possible that the NFL would have tried to find a new owner for the Broncos. One fan on another Bronco board said that the NFL tolerates the trust because Elway is GM).

Im a Bears fan so ooofff haha

Mine is what if Drew Brees had gone to the Dolphins. Dolphins clearly had their choice of Brees and Culpepper as they were a decent franchise and the Saints were pretty much a Cleveland Browns type franchise before that. Really changed the course of those organizations really since I was a kid haha.

• Like 1

Interesting, but here's my take: In 2000, the Jets would have had three other QB's (Vinny Testaverde, first-round pick Chad Pennington, and Ray Lucas, who had a 6-3 record, 1,678 yards passing, 14 TD's, and 6 INT's in nine games as a starter in 1999). As a result, I see him getting cut and signing with SF's practice squad after talking to Steve Mariucci (the 49ers had Garcia as starter, Rick Mirer as backup, and Gio Carmazzi, who struggled in pre-season. Also, they wouldn't have had Tim Rattay in this world. The Pats would have drafted him if Brady wasn't there).

After a year on SF's practice squad, he makes the team in 2001 as second-stringer to Garcia.

Brady is finally the guy in 04, but the best he does is a 4-12 record, and SF gets the third pick (behind Cleveland and Miami). After the Fins take Alex Smith, and the Browns take Braylon, the 49ers' new regime takes Aaron Rodgers third overall.

Brady is the starter for another year or so, but Rodgers takes over by mid-2006. Then, in 07, he decides to stay in the Bay Area, signing with the Raiders. They still are bad enough to get JaBustus, and when he falters, Brady grabs the job in late 2009, and doesn't let go. The Raiders win the AFC West in 2010, 11, and 16. He is still there today with Gruden, as they go to Las Vegas.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53