WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

Okay. I'm bringing this back so we can have this discussion. Many people feel this is a worthwhile discussion to have, so let's have it. 

So let's have a nice talk from me...your friendly neighborhood moderator. 

This site is a business for Webby. The more content posted, the more valuable it is for him. He also created it to allow us to discuss, laugh, poke fun at, etc... NFL teams (provided you follow the rules). But the value of this site diminishes when we go astray from the rules he set up.

I hate locking threads. I hate giving out warnings. I hate being the bad guy. I'm the bad guy at home a lot when my kids act up and I hate it. 

But I'll do it if it means we can keep this place from devolving into a cesspool like tons of other forums are (seriously, take a gander at some of the other ones and see how much more civilized it is here). That's the job I took on as a Moderator when I was asked.

You'll notice that I post here but I don't feel the need to jump into every discussion. That's because my role is to help foster discussion and keep us following the rules (and most times by the time I've read all of your posts, I'm too tired to post myself so if someone says something I would've said, I just give them a little football).

When someone gets out of line, I warn them unofficially. If they keep going they get an official one. If they keep going after that, it's in Webby's hands (only a handful have been actually banned since I've become a mod). 

You guys are pretty good at self-moderating. So let's keep that up. 

So with that in mind, here's the deal:

1. Discuss the team name change. Please. Do it. Pros. Cons. For it. Against it.
  2. Keep to the subject at hand. If you want to discuss the origination of names. That is fine. But follow the rules (No politics, etc...)
  3. Stop with the sexual innuendo and graphics.
  4. Stop with the stupid jokes (DC Snipers?  Really???)
  5. Keep it on point. If you and another poster start having another discussion that has nothing to do with this topic. Open another thread.
  6. Everyone has a point of view. You may not like it. But that doesn't make them a bad person for not sharing your viewpoint. Always assume good faith on their part even if you think the position is wrong.
  7. No discussion of race. Obviously that will be tough considering we're discussing the current name. I know it's a thin line but the mods will help you understand where it is and gently nudge you away.
  8. Gonna keep this post open as much as I can. And instead will just start handing out official warnings. So if you have something that is more appropriate for, say, Twitter? Say it there.
  9. The mods and I will be closing or merging any other new post that deals with the name change.

I know this is counter-intuitive to the above (no one likes reading the rules, I get it). But have fun.

As @naptownskinsfan said:

"We want to have this discussion.  Other forum moderators have asked us to have a topic for it.  But we need you guys to commit to following the rules, which you all know by now, and stick to it.  "

• Like 2

Okay. Since I started it, I'll go first. 

I will continue to not publicly take a side (for now) on the issue.

I WILL state that I am given to understand that Snyder has already had the Warriors name trademarked well before this. Which is smart business sense.

So odds-on favorite would be Warriors.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Okay. Since I started it, I'll go first. 

I will continue to not publicly take a side (for now) on the issue.

I WILL state that I am given to understand that Snyder has already had the Warriors name trademarked well before this. Which is smart business sense.

So odds-on favorite would be Warriors.

Snyder is backed into a corner right now, with a lose-lose scenario. 

Warriors seems the logical option.  But I think it only makes sense if we keep the logo and the question is will we continue to face push back just for having an indian logo even if it is a positive one?

I imagine that if/once a new name is picked it with be something with the use of the letter "R" so we can still use the big red R logo and keep the moniker "HTTR". 

Also, hopefully to help some who struggle with a name change, I would like to reiterate that the name doesn't make the team. The team makes the name. I live in Washington State and I would be far more upset with a local move than a name change. Teams change names all the time for various reasons. I hope that most can get past the ideology that we won't be the same team with a different name. 

Hang in there gents. 

• Like 1

The name change was inevitable. I've made peace with it. My fandom isn't limited to a team name so either way I'm good, but if they do change the name, I hope they steer away from Native American imagery completely but retain the burgundy and gold. Perhaps something similar to the Caps and Nats where it's based on something almost patriotic.

I think the debate comes down to a few items:

- Do you want to stick with something familiar or entirely rebrand?  I think with Snyder's current position (completely sucking for 20 years and living off past accomplishments before his time), Snyder is going to want to go with something familiar.  

- So if its familiar, I would think you would stick with the same color scheme. 

- Then do you design a whole new logo or go with something familiar?  These would be some options:

1a97c2d999290c7ce09b01384866923e.jpg

*replace the word Redskins*

washington_redskins_2004-2008_a.png

1066.gif

Personally, I'm a fan of the Spear.  To make it work you'd probably have to go with the Washington Warriors, which I think is probably the leader in the clubhouse right now.  The curvy R you could take in different directions but its always looked a little kiddy to me.  Idk that's just my opinion.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I think he should step away from any and all people titles. He has Washington Football Club (Washington FC) he has rights of. He should just use it.

I disagree. This isn’t a soccer team and that would just be silly to me. 

• Like 1

I believe there a lot of directions this franchise can go. I would not be a fan of the Washington Redtails. Feels like a kiddy thing like the red flyers for wagons. 

If its just about Redskins, then got to go with Warriors. Do I think there could be a bigger reformation of the brand than an entire rebrand. Sure. Uni's and helmets need updating, and the logo definitely needs updating. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I have a feeling the name won't change and Snyder deals with whatever consequences comes his way from that decision.

I can see that, but it’s awful risky. His minority owners who own 40% of the franchise want to sell. Perhaps he finds people willing to buy in and take up that 40% but keeping the name looks like it would cost him money in the long run.

• Like 1

I have always liked the name Warriors and that’s my #1 seed. I would want a curly W on the helmet if we can’t/don’t keep the current logo on the helmet, but I hope we can/do keep it bc it’s one of the best logos in sports and is not offensive in any way.

I’m very open to almost every name.

If we aren’t going to go with Warriors, I guess by #2 would be the Braves - just go back to our original roots from when the team was first formed. And, let’s be honest if George Preston Marshall has never changed the name to Redskins and we were the Washington Braves right now we  wouldn’t even need to have this discussion, but he did change it so here we are almost 90 years later.

I like almost all names that start with an R and if we did that we could go with the curly R on the helmet which I would absolutely love, love LOVE! I love those curly R hats Joe Gibbs wore and I’d be all for that being on our helmets, it’s already on the jersey.

I hate the logo, but I do like the name. It’s not my 1 seed, but I do like it. 

Here are some other logos that some fans did that I like better than Jordan’s attempt.

This is my all together w/ the name & logo.

This is my favorite picture for the mascot/logo. I like how the teeth are showing and it’s aggressive.