WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

The only appeal of “Warriors,” as far as I’m concerned, was in the hope that they could just change the name and keep everything else. Given that that appears to be off the table at this point, I think it’s just a boring and generic nickname that happens to also belong to one of the most popular sports teams in the country over the last 5 years.

If we’re changing all the Native American stuff, which obviously includes the logo and I think the song as well, the most prominent and unique thing about the franchise that could potentially be left standing is the acronym HTTR. Preserving that with a name beginning with “R” is a top priority for me, especially given that none of the name suggestions appears to be a runaway, knockout winner. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The only appeal of “Warriors,” as far as I’m concerned, was in the hope that they could just change the name and keep everything else. Given that that appears to be off the table at this point, I think it’s just a boring and generic nickname that happens to also belong to one of the most popular sports teams in the country over the last 5 years.

If we’re changing all the Native American stuff, which obviously includes the logo and I think the song as well, the most prominent and unique thing about the franchise that could potentially be left standing is the acronym HTTR. Preserving that with a name beginning with “R” is a top priority for me, especially given that none of the name suggestions appears to be a runaway, knockout winner. 

Well, is the owner a boring and generic guy?

Washington Rattlesnakes

150830-004-FB803712.jpg

Washington Red Crabs

48416725936_8c60ba8516_b.jpg

Washington Rhinos

g7jD7dV8rK48mkW2BoIy0tTgwGBbdz_wQZtClz9o

Washington Royals

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkPo3Be3BOtGGZf0nFhmk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the fight song is canned altogether.  At the height of the Civil Rights Era, some fans started singing "Fight for Old Dixie" which stuck for a time, and the band would play "Dixie" as a counter-melody.  The song was also written by George Preston Marshall's wife, and they are working on eliminating him from the history of the club.  So I would expect the song to be gone, and a new one to take it's place, if there is a new one at all.  I could also see Snyder scrapping the band.  

Also, the original song referenced scalping so yeah.........I see it going bye-bye

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Virginia Vipers just reeks of an XFL kind of name.  

XFL was around for less than a year, so even if there is a reek, it'll go away so dang quickly....

But Vipers would go well with Virginia.

Which let's be honest, they're probably not going to Virginia, and Dan Synder probably is NOT going to pick a more risky name. 

Which is why it's probably going to be Warriors (which he's linked and trademarked before planning to use in the AFL).

Just trying to be more creative and interesting here. It's not everyday a team gets a new name.

Speaking of which, let's look at the last couple of times it's happened.

(Houston) Tennessee Oilers became the Tennessee Titans 

And indirectly the (I guess) the Cleveland Brown's (sorta unofficially) became the Baltimore Ravens.

Also newer teams expansion teams (not recounting the Ravens) are

• 1976: The Seattle Seahawks and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers entered the league. 
  • 1995: The Carolina Panthers and the Jacksonville Jaguars became NFL teams. 
  • 2002: The Houston Texans

Based on other teams semi-recent (in new NFL teams names wise), it seems likely that it's likely the team name will start with the same letter as the last or a generic human name...

Washington Warriors, seems to do both of those. 

1 minute ago, Beast said:

XFL was around for less than a year, so even if there is a reek, it'll go away so dang quickly....

But Vipers would go well with Virginia.

Which let's be honest, they're probably not going to Virginia, and Dan Synder probably is NOT going to pick a more risky name. 

Which is why it's probably going to be Warriors (which he's linked and trademarked before planning to use in the AFL).

Just trying to be more creative and interesting here. It's not everyday a team gets a new name.

Speaking of which, let's look at the last couple of times it's happened.

(Houston) Tennessee Oilers became the Tennessee Titans 

And indirectly the (I guess) the Cleveland Brown's (sorta unofficially) became the Baltimore Ravens.

Also newer teams expansion teams (not recounting the Ravens) are

• 1976: The Seattle Seahawks and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers entered the league. 
  • 1995: The Carolina Panthers and the Jacksonville Jaguars became NFL teams. 
  • 2002: The Houston Texans

Based on other teams semi-recent (in new NFL teams names wise), it seems likely that it's likely the team name will start with the same letter as the last or a generic human name...

Washington Warriors, seems to do both of those. 

The XFL has two iterations and over 30 companies/groups signed NDA's to view the books, so I don't think it's going away anytime soon.  It was a very successful league, especially in St Louis who has been without an NFL team for a few years, as well as in Washington DC who "technically" don't have a football team playing in the city, and let's not forget how much the Redskins have sucked over the past quarter century.  

Snyder doesn't have a creative bone in his body, and based on his body of work, he's going to screw this up royally.  The Warriors will be an awful choice, and will carry the stink of him trying to stick with the Redskins theme, colors, imagery, etc.  

34 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The XFL has two iterations and over 30 companies/groups signed NDA's to view the books, so I don't think it's going away anytime soon.  It was a very successful league, especially in St Louis who has been without an NFL team for a few years, as well as in Washington DC who "technically" don't have a football team playing in the city, and let's not forget how much the Redskins have sucked over the past quarter century.  

Snyder doesn't have a creative bone in his body, and based on his body of work, he's going to screw this up royally.  The Warriors will be an awful choice, and will carry the stink of him trying to stick with the Redskins theme, colors, imagery, etc.  

I forgot they might be resold, and continue, MAYBE...

I think he'll use Military imagery (or animals) and get away from Native American themes. Some have said it was too late to change the colors and uniforms. But they can still change the name and logo.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beast said:

Some have said it was too late to change the colors and uniforms. But they can still change the name and logo.

In May 2020, approximately 3.24 billion meters of clothing fabric were produced in China.

Never too late. They need to just go ahead and do it. Dans been on just a freaking name for near 2 months now. Its ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Never too late. They need to just go ahead and do it. Dans been on just a freaking name for near 2 months now. Its ridiculous.

Why, you don't like the colors and uniforms too? How much MUST be changed to make people happy?

Chiefs gotta change? Indians? Braves? Packers (according to PETA, yes Packers needs to change), how much has to change?

Their colors and uniforms too? Just where is the line?

Edited by Beast
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the fight song is canned altogether.  At the height of the Civil Rights Era, some fans started singing "Fight for Old Dixie" which stuck for a time, and the band would play "Dixie" as a counter-melody.  The song was also written by George Preston Marshall's wife, and they are working on eliminating him from the history of the club.  So I would expect the song to be gone, and a new one to take it's place, if there is a new one at all.  I could also see Snyder scrapping the band.  

Also, the original song referenced scalping so yeah.........I see it going bye-bye

I have thought the same thing, but have never said anything - not even on twitter - heck, I know people don’t want to hear this, but what does Hailing something remind you of?

Just saying.

That being said, fans will still sing the song I think after we score TDs, and maybe forever as it’s carried on from family to family for the rest of time.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Beast said:

Why, you don't like the colors and uniforms too? How much MUST be changed to make people happy?

Chiefs gotta change? Indians? Braves? Packers (according to PETA, yes Packers needs to change), how much has to change?

Their colors and uniforms too? Just where is the line?

That’s up to the teams to decide and how far it goes. If the Govt has never forced the Redskins to change their name, I can’t imagine these other teams being forced to make the change. I don’t see any of them being forced to change their names, and the offensive/cartoonish logos like those of the Indians are gone. Also, college teams have mostly changed their names that could be seen as offensive well ahead of pro teams a decade or two ago like Miami University, Stanford, St Johns & Syracuse.

6 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

You continuously ignore all the factors. Look, I think they can have something in place and make it happen but, it will be preliminary and the process won’t totally be finished and totally concrete for a year or two as articles like the NBC Sports one I  posted have said w/ the example from the Wizards name change.

• Like 1