WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

I like the idea of Red Wolves actually, could see some sick logos coming out of that.

I’d go away from anything remotely related to Native American imagery unless you get a sign off from tribes similar to the FSU did from the Seminoles. If you’re gonna make a change, do a clean break IMO

• Like 1

The word "Warriors" was developed for Knights. But carry over to soldiers.

Makes zero sense regarding Native Americans. Cause at best you could call them Minutemen. They had no Knights, had no standing force.

So "Warriors" used like originally intended with a logo like below would be awesome. But misused gives it that generic name feel.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTEdpmHc-82031CwuaCgj

• Like 2

I posted this in one of the locked threads, and despite having a weekend to think about it, my stance hasn't changed.  

Anyway for me guys, if the name changes, I am probably done as a fan of the team.  It’s sad for me, considering my uncle played and coached for this team way back when.  The Redskins are in my blood, literally and figuratively.  I’ve grown up with this team with fond memories of attending games in person, even without great results on the field.  

Everything under Snyder’s ownership has continued to push me towards apathy, and this will be the final straw for me.  I just don’t have it in me to care anymore.  I will still watch football, and won’t pick a new favorite team, but I’m going to be out on the Redskins.  If that happens this year, I’ll finish the year as the forum mod and work with Thai to find a replacement, because you all deserve someone in the forum who cares for the team. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

The word "Warriors" was developed for Knights. But carry over to soldiers.

Makes zero sense regarding Native Americans. Cause at best you could call them Minutemen. They had no Knights, had no standing force.

So "Warriors" used like originally intended with a logo like below would be awesome. But misused gives it that generic name feel.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTEdpmHc-82031CwuaCgj

If they went with Warriors, I think it would be fine so long as they avoided using the spear or any other sort of images that would come close to invoking thoughts/feelings of American Indians.  

5 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I Change back to the original name Braves (1932)& roll with the 1959-64 Feather Helmets.

https://images.app.goo.gl/sFaJuqhfu11dmYVFA

They won't touch Braves either.  It is too controversial right now as some people want the Atlanta Braves to change their name.  

It was also the name of the team before Redskins, back when the team was in Boston and still under the ownership of George Preston Marshall, who is now persona non grata in the records.  They won't use this name. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If they went with Warriors, I think it would be fine so long as they avoided using the spear or any other sort of images that would come close to invoking thoughts/feelings of American Indians.  

I think Snyder has mentioned he wants the team to honor American Indians/Native Americans with any new name that might come up. So I think he's trying a jiu-jitsu flip on this one (from the perceived offensive name, to one that is uplifting).

Will have to wait and see.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I have a feeling the name won't change and Snyder deals with whatever consequences comes his way from that decision.

That thought has crossed my mind as well.  There is a distinct difference in how the letter from Snyder is worded, versus the letter released from the Dolan family that owns the Cleveland Indians who are doing the same review.  

Also, #ALLCAPS and his previous statements and actions go against this as well.  But on the flip side, we are in unprecedented times.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I think Snyder has mentioned he wants the team to honor American Indians/Native Americans with any new name that might come up. So I think he's trying a jiu-jitsu flip on this one (from the perceived offensive name, to one that is uplifting).

Will have to wait and see.

Atlanta Braves News: Ozzie Albies impresses, Johan Camargo update ...

So as I said in one of the locked threads, he's going to screw this up royally.  Given his track record, that's the only way this ends.  

• Like 2