WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

NFL’s Washington franchise officially has a new name coming

https://sports.yahoo.com/nf-ls-washington-franchise-officially-has-a-new-name-coming-014635532.html

Redskins name will be retired tomorrow.

'Report: Redskins to announce retirement of nickname on Monday, new name TBA'

https://riggosrag.com/2020/07/12/report-redskins-to-announce-retirement-of-nickname-on-monday-new-name-tba/

The new nickname will not be announced immediately because trademark issues are pending, the sources said, but insiders were told today that the “thorough review” announced July 3 has concluded. The team felt it was important to remove any doubts as to the future of the name, one source said.
I think it's going to be the Warriors judging by this quote. They have to work out trademark issues to get Warriors back.
Edited by turtle28

7 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

@Thaiphoon @PARROTHEAD you think it still won't happen?

It takes time to get everything in motion to be ready to produce all needed for a new name. I think the names been decided even before the Red Wolf hype of the past week.

Plus our owner is Dan Snyder.

We hope. Dan crushes that hope. Just use to it being this way after 20 years of him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Name/logo change too much to continue to be a fan? 

I’m not sure how I’ll react to it when I see the new name? Being a Redskins fan is something I was passionate about. Had the team moved and kept the name I most likely would’ve stayed a fan because I’m a Redskins fan. To me this is like rooting for a different team. 

• Like 3

Just now, lavar703 said:

I’m not sure how I’ll react to it when I see the new name? Being a Redskins fan is something I was passionate about. Had the team moved and kept the name I most likely would’ve stayed a fan because I’m a Redskins fan. To me this is like rooting for a different team. 

It's kinda where I'm gravitating towards. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it were the Redwolves and the uni with that R-wolf logo. But a) I'm not holding out hope for anything nice and B) it's going to be like an expansion team came to play in DC

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Sadly this might be the end for me. It’s been great talking football with the lot of you. You guys have become like friends to me. This one is pretty painful. 

<NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!!! WE DO NOT USE THAT IMAGERY HERE ON THIS WEBSITE!!!!>

You aint going no where. We took YOUR Chase Young instead of the boatload of picks. If I gotta stay. You doubly do.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Sadly this might be the end for me. It’s been great talking football with the lot of you. You guys have become like friends to me. This one is pretty painful. 

This is where I am at as well.  My tickets are paid in full, I'm going to try it out.  But if the team name changes, the Redskins blasted from team history, the fight song is gone, just about everything that connects me to the team, I won't be a fan after 2020.  

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to stay or go.  Everyone has their own reasons for why they are a fan, and I won't judge anyone for that. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

If the band fires up another fight song? There will be plenty of fans singing the old one. The jumbotron doesn't tell me when to sing. The band piping up does. So if they want to keep the history of the first with a fight song, marching band, etc... they will have one. And then @turtle28 is correct, 30-80k fans will sing what they want. 

I think you overestimate how many people care about a fight song, especially when faced with a new one and how much the team sucks.  Most people don't care about the team history as much as those posting on a forum like FF care.  

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

It's kinda where I'm gravitating towards. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it were the Redwolves and the uni with that R-wolf logo. But a) I'm not holding out hope for anything nice and B) it's going to be like an expansion team came to play in DC

We already have an expansion team roster and mediocre coach, so they've got that covered.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think you overestimate how many people care about a fight song, especially when faced with a new one and how much the team sucks.  Most people don't care about the team history as much as those posting on a forum like FF care.  

I dunno. I hear an awful lot of people singing when we score. Decades of habit doesn't die in an instant. YMMV

Not saying you're wrong. Just that I think the jury is still out on that one. Especially from the vocal people who might be pissed about the name changing in the first place.

11 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

<NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!!! WE DO NOT USE THAT IMAGERY HERE ON THIS WEBSITE!!!!>

You aint going no where. We took YOUR Chase Young instead of the boatload of picks. If I gotta stay. You doubly do.

Dude...unofficial warning. Do not use that imagery again, please.