WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

5 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Now that you mentioned that, it does. Not sure I'd want the guys wearing that either. 

That's how we've played for most of the last 27 years though... So in that respect it fits! Haha 😂 

Edited by turtle28

I just want to get this out there and be the first - or one of the first in saying - I believe the CURSE has been lifted on the Washington football team! I've said it before on here that possibly the name was a curse bc the Native American's sued & introduced legislation to have the name changed in 92/93 and Washington refused to change the name. I'm predicting a Super Bowl Championship for this team w/in the next decade attributed to the changing of the team's fortunes after the name change. 

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I just want to get this out there and be the first - or one of the first in saying - I believe the CURSE has been lived on the Washington football team! I've said it before on here that possibly the name was a curse bc the Native American's sued & introduced legislation to have the name changed in 92/93 and Washington refused to change the name. I'm predicting a Super Bowl Championship for this team w/in the next decade attributed to the changing of the team's fortunes after the name change. 

In anticipation of that, maybe we should just be the Washington Lombardis. He coached here, surely his most memorable coaching tenure in the eyes of most real football fans, and as @Thaiphoon has said, the trophy named after him must be declared our singular goal.

...plus it would chap the *** of Michael Lombardi, who never misses a chance to dump on this organization, so that would be a side benefit.

• Like 2

On 2020-07-08 at 7:08 PM, turtle28 said:

Depends on what the name ends up being. If it starts with an Red and I like the name, I’ll be good with that. Reds, Redwolves, RedHawks (like Miami University did in 1996), Red Tails in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen are all names I’m cool with.

sJY7vfB.jpg

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I love it, one of my favorite bands but the logo would have to be different obviously. Haha 🤣 

They could even get to keep the "Skins" nickname if they took inspiration from some of Flea's most infamous stage outfits.

• Like 1

If the new branding catches players' interest and brings a positive culture change with it i'm really excited to see how reinvigorated this team could be coming out of this.

Their week 1 game against the Eagles last season got me to root for them as a potential dark horse team early on (sorry... it didn't last) and I still think Washington growing into a serious contender would be the best way to spice up this current DAL/PHI dominant incarnation of the NFC East. If the Cardinals pan out this year I can see them heading on the same trajectory.

Edited by LeonKennedy
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think Snyder would probably rather get dipped headfirst into a vat of boiling acid than change the name to something “honoring” the group of people who are forcing him to change the name of his beloved team that he’s rooted for since birth. 

He is not the type of guy to let bygones be bygones, bury the hatchet if you will, and strike a conciliatory posture when he’s been embarrassed and effectively strong-armed. The only way I could have seen him possibly trying to retain a connection to the NA community is if he could have kept the spirit and the crux of the old name and identity — logo, song, feathers, spear, etc. — while changing the name to a less offensive word (like Warriors). I think he might have tolerated that.

Once it became clear that that wouldn’t fly either, and that he’d have to give up all of it, I suspect his thoughts and sentiments toward the NA community would be flagged by any profanity filter known to man.

• Like 1

Just now, e16bball said:

I think Snyder would probably rather get dipped headfirst into a vat of boiling acid than change the name to something “honoring” the group of people who are forcing him to change the name of his beloved team that he’s rooted for since birth. 

He is not the type of guy to let bygones be bygones, bury the hatchet if you will, and strike a conciliatory posture when he’s been embarrassed and effectively strong-armed. The only way I could have seen him possibly trying to retain a connection to the NA community is if he could have kept the spirit and the crux of the old name and identity — logo, song, feathers, spear, etc. — while changing the name to a less offensive word (like Warriors). I think he might have tolerated that.

Once it became clear that that wouldn’t fly either, and that he’d have to give up all of it, I suspect his thoughts and sentiments toward the NA community would be flagged by any profanity filter known to man.

He hasn't donated to the charity he set up for them in a few years, so I tend to agree with your assessment.  

Just because the team name changed, doesn't mean Daniel Snyder did.  As someone just mentioned, they think the curse has been lifted.  Guess what.........Danny Boy is still here.  He's the curse, and ain't going nowhere. 

• Like 2