WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I think Snyder would probably rather get dipped headfirst into a vat of boiling acid than change the name to something “honoring” the group of people who are forcing him to change the name of his beloved team that he’s rooted for since birth. 

He is not the type of guy to let bygones be bygones, bury the hatchet if you will, and strike a conciliatory posture when he’s been embarrassed and effectively strong-armed. The only way I could have seen him possibly trying to retain a connection to the NA community is if he could have kept the spirit and the crux of the old name and identity — logo, song, feathers, spear, etc. — while changing the name to a less offensive word (like Warriors). I think he might have tolerated that.

Once it became clear that that wouldn’t fly either, and that he’d have to give up all of it, I suspect his thoughts and sentiments toward the NA community would be flagged by any profanity filter known to man.

While true, he's keeping Fed Ex’s & NVR Homes’ $. Oh that's right money means more...

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I really don't want a curly W.  That's a Nationals thing.  Let it stay with them.  Whatever they do, it needs to move forward and not rely on the imagery of other teams. 

The helmet should be a howling wolf’s head and the letter logo should remain the lovely script R. 

That’s right, I’m all in on Red Wolves. Or Redwolves. I’m trying a “speak it into existence” thing. In the past, I would have tried very hard not to indicate a preference, so as not to jinx it.

...which has clearly always failed with this team, so now we try it the other way 😂

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

It means that they need to pay this guy some cash to sign over the trademark, which is why many think there is a delay in announcing a team name.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

The short answer is no, that won’t prevent them from doing it. 

For this person to successfully preclude the Redskins from re-naming the team RedWolves, he’d have to make several legal showings, which would all loosely be based around the question of “how likely is it that people would confuse his business with the football team if they were allowed to use the same name/marks?” 

Given the fact that this guy has no prior use of the name (he’s only just filed an application indicating intent to use), the fact there’s no actual existing business associated with the name at the moment, and the fact that whatever he claims he’s doing with the name will not be remotely similar to “operating one of the 15 most valuable sports teams on the planet,” it will be awfully tough for him to prevail and preclude them from using it. 

More likely, they might throw him a couple thousand bucks or something to sell them the trademark and go away. They’ll probably do the same with whatever enterprising lad or lass snaps up the desired social media handles and URL domain name. Or, knowing Snyder, maybe he’ll play hardball and make them all tap out (legally speaking of course). 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, e16bball said:

For this person to successfully preclude the Redskins from re-naming the team RedWolves, he’d have to make several legal showings, which would all loosely be based around the question of “how likely is it that people would confuse his business with the football team if they were allowed to use the same name/marks?” 

Given the fact that this guy has no prior use of the name (he’s only just filed an application indicating intent to use), the fact there’s no actual existing business associated with the name at the moment, and the fact that whatever he claims he’s doing with the name will not be remotely similar to “operating one of the 15 most valuable sports teams on the planet,” it will be awfully tough for him to prevail and preclude them from using it. 

More likely, they might throw him a couple thousand bucks or something to sell them the trademark and go away. They’ll probably do the same with whatever enterprising lad or lass snaps up the desired social media handles and URL domain name. Or, knowing Snyder, maybe he’ll play hardball and make them all tap out (legally speaking of course). 

Thanks. I want the Red Wolves and being though it's not a a known name at the moment hopefully this guy takes some cash and let's Snyder get the name. 

42 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Arkansas State Red Wolves University Football says hi.

They have the same issue if they’re going to use Warriors but I think they’ll work it out w/ the Golden State Warriors.

Edited by turtle28

53 minutes ago, e16bball said:

A former friend of mine at work had set up a facebook page for the store when Facebook was new.  It was not a pretty split when he left, and he retained ownership of that page for a long time.  When business Facebook became a thing a few years later, it took my boss, his lawyers and corporate all together to try and get that page away from him.  Hopefully they sat on the domains and social media handles.  

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Arkansas State Redwolves say hi

Yeah, and they were aggressive in staking out their territory with the soccer team, but they can’t just claim all dominion over a name/word. There are probably a dozen or more sports teams named the Cardinals or Tigers, for example, and the first in time doesn’t just get to monopolize the use of the word.

I suspect that courts would find that there’s very little risk of consumers confusing the Washington Red Wolves with a Sun Belt collegiate athletic program that has won 4 bowl games in its history (the GoDaddy.com Bowl x2, the Cure Bowl, and the Camellia Bowl). Particularly if the logos and other symbols are not identical. 

Again, they could try to resolve the issue out of court — in this instance, probably by way of a coexistence agreement with Arkansas State that would stake out the terms and rights of each party in their use of the name. Maybe the (formerly) Redskins would donate to a scholarship at ASU or something. But I sincerely doubt they will pose much of an obstacle if that’s the name the organization settles on. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, and they were aggressive in staking out their territory with the soccer team, but they can’t just claim all dominion over a name/word. There are probably a dozen or more sports teams named the Cardinals or Tigers, for example, and the first in time doesn’t just get to monopolize the use of the word.

I suspect that courts would find that there’s very little risk of consumers confusing the Washington Red Wolves with a Sun Belt collegiate athletic program that has won 4 bowl games in its history (the GoDaddy.com Bowl x2, the Cure Bowl, and the Camellia Bowl). Particularly if the logos and other symbols are not identical. 

Again, they could try to resolve the issue out of court — in this instance, probably by way of a coexistence agreement with Arkansas State that would stake out the terms and rights of each party in their use of the name. Maybe the (formerly) Redskins would donate to a scholarship at ASU or something. But I sincerely doubt they will pose much of an obstacle if that’s the name the organization settles on. 

So, does that go the same for the Golden State Warriors? Are we good if we name the team Warriors bc they can’t just own the name also?

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Arkansas State Red Wolves University Football says hi.

They have the same issue if they’re going to use Warriors but I think they’ll work it out w/ the Golden State Warriors.

Doesn't seem to be too much of an issue with OK State, Boston College, U of Charlotte, Western Michigan, (large breath) Louisville, Columbia, Pittsburgh, Air Force, and South Alabama.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Not a lawyer, but from what I know about this subject (via business experience), I said much the same thing to a friend of mine. 

He thought that you could just go trademarking names and then any business will have to pay you.

I explained to him that two separate businesses can have the name trademarked so long as they are not similar businesses or can lead a consumer to confuse the two. So you could have a Brand of Sugar trademarked and it also be the name of a Women's professional soccer team. No one will confuse those two so both can use their respective trademarks.

Now with this guy...

One one hand, the guy has claimed he's spent money creating merchandise, etc... so he has been trying to make it a business (to try to meet one of the legal hurdles).

OTOH - he's trademarking it as if it is for a professional football team (or any sports team). For that he has to show intent and (I believe -> ability)  to be able to do that. So I told him that yes, the Redskins were almost assured of winning in court. 

But that takes time and that delay will cost Snyder a lot more money (legal fees, loss of sponsors, loss of merchandise sales, etc...) than just paying the guy $100-250k to buy the trademark (*) and getting the new name right away. $$$ greases the skids in any deal.

(*) Just throwing the numbers out since it would be the TM of an NFL team going forward. I have no idea what they will eventually settle on

• Like 1