WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So, does that go the same for the Golden State Warriors? Are we good if we name the team Warriors bc they can’t just own the name also?

Correct. One is a Professional Basketball team. One is a Professional Football team.

As an author (I write science fiction in my spare time) Trademark and Copyright law are something I'm delving into more and more. 

You can't just go copyrighting or trademarking every word that people could use. It won't hold up. There are a bunch of other hurdles you have to go through to do it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We have a collaborative approach, if you don’t think so you’re calling Ron Rivera a liar.

I guess I am, because the longer it takes for him to name someone as a GM/equal, the further away from collaboration we get.  

Just the two examples I mentioned before.  Pete Carroll and John Schneider were hired less than a month apart.  Andy Reid brought in executives from the Eagles organization with him, and while guys have come and gone, it remains a constant that they are working on the same page.  

We are over seven months into his tenure, and Rivera has not named a GM or anyone who is reporting to him directly out of the entire front office.  He also appears to be involved on some of the business side as well.  Redskins fans have every right to be worried that he is spread too thin, and that we are setting up another house of cards right now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Correct. One is a Professional Basketball team. One is a Professional Football team.

As an author (I write science fiction in my spare time) Trademark and Copyright law are something I'm delving into more and more. 

You can't just go copyrighting or trademarking every word that people could use. It won't hold up. There are a bunch of other hurdles you have to go through to do it.

Speaking of... I am trying to send you a PM and... 

Thaiphoon cannot receive messages.

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Not a lawyer, but from what I know about this subject (via business experience), I said much the same thing to a friend of mine. 

He thought that you could just go trademarking names and then any business will have to pay you.

I explained to him that two separate businesses can have the name trademarked so long as they are not similar businesses or can lead a consumer to confuse the two. So you could have a Brand of Sugar trademarked and it also be the name of a Women's professional soccer team. No one will confuse those two so both can use their respective trademarks.

Now with this guy...

One one hand, the guy has claimed he's spent money creating merchandise, etc... so he has been trying to make it a business (to try to meet one of the legal hurdles).

OTOH - he's trademarking it as if it is for a professional football team (or any sports team). For that he has to show intent and (I believe -> ability)  to be able to do that. So I told him that yes, the Redskins were almost assured of winning in court. 

But that takes time and that delay will cost Snyder a lot more money (legal fees, loss of sponsors, loss of merchandise sales, etc...) than just paying the guy $100-250k to buy the trademark (*) and getting the new name right away. $$$ greases the skids in any deal.

(*) Just throwing the numbers out since it would be the TM of an NFL team going forward. I have no idea what they will eventually settle on

Well this guy should be careful because the angry redskins fans might turn the cancel culture around on him.

46 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Well this guy should be careful because the angry redskins fans might turn the cancel culture around on him.

I read he's doing this to protect the names from someone that would be uncooperative ! He said he won't be a barrier to any name they pick .

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2900124-martin-mccaulay-talks-filing-trademarks-for-possible-washington-nfl-team-names

Edited by RSkinGM

19 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I read he's doing this to protect the names from someone that would be uncooperative ! He said he won't be a barrier to any name they pick .

If true, what a cool guy. That’s going above and beyond.

If he helps facilitate the smooth transition of the naming rights, I want him in a position of honor, perhaps in the owner’s box, when the Wolves Lair opens in downtown DC sometime later this decade.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

If true, what a cool guy. That’s going above and beyond.

If he helps facilitate the smooth transition of the naming rights, I want him in a position of honor, perhaps in the owner’s box, when the Wolves Lair opens in downtown DC sometime later this decade.

Bleacher Report - I added the story to my post .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Not me. It was a smart thing to do. I wish I had thought of it. 

If you see a piece of real estate and think that in 2,5,10,or 20 years that development is going to come out here and some developers are going to want to build homes and commercial spaces on it, is it a smart thing to buy it up ahead of time?

Yes. 

Same with intellectual property, such as trademarks, copyrights, and patents.

It's smart business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2900124-martin-mccaulay-talks-filing-trademarks-for-possible-washington-nfl-team-names

Which is good. But he definitely should be asking for some cake along with that. If this is true, then he's providing them a service and should be compensated.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Not me. It was a smart thing to do. I wish I had thought of it. 

If you see a piece of real estate and think that in 2,5,10,or 20 years that development is going to come out here and some developers are going to want to build homes and commercial spaces on it, is it a smart thing to buy it up ahead of time?

Yes. 

Same with intellectual property, such as trademarks, copyrights, and patents.

It's smart business.

Personally I am not a big fan of this.  It is the same as domain name squatting and such.  But yeah good business.  However, today's mob culture doesn't care about good business.

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Get the deal done Snyder! 

Edited by Skins212689

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I guess I am, because the longer it takes for him to name someone as a GM/equal, the further away from collaboration we get.  

Just the two examples I mentioned before.  Pete Carroll and John Schneider were hired less than a month apart.  Andy Reid brought in executives from the Eagles organization with him, and while guys have come and gone, it remains a constant that they are working on the same page.  

We are over seven months into his tenure, and Rivera has not named a GM or anyone who is reporting to him directly out of the entire front office.  He also appears to be involved on some of the business side as well.  Redskins fans have every right to be worried that he is spread too thin, and that we are setting up another house of cards right now.  

We have Doug Williams & Kyle Smith who handles the draft work and has since McCloughan was fired. Also, Santos was just fired and Donnie Warren was hired.

Now you're telling me we have to hire someone else just to have that title covered? Come on dude

This is the structure that Gibbs had in 2.0 and he convinced Dan to use it with Ron. It remains to be seen if it works but I don't see another hiring happening above Doug, Kyle and Donnie.

Edited by turtle28