WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We have Doug Williams & Kyle Smith who handles the draft work and has since McCloughan was fired. Also, Santos was just fired and Donnie Warren was hired.

Now you're telling me we have to hire someone else just to have that title covered? Come on dude

This is the structure that Gibbs had in 2.0 and he convinced Dan to use it with Ron. It remains to be seen if it works but I don't see another hiring happening above Doug, Kyle and Donnie.

I am not saying hire someone else.  He can promote one of them internally if he doesn't want to promote anyone.  

Just because Gibbs had this structure, doesn't mean it was successful.  He was still sub .500 in his tenure here.  

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I am not saying hire someone else.  He can promote one of them internally if he doesn't want to promote anyone.  

Just because Gibbs had this structure, doesn't mean it was successful.  He was still sub .500 in his tenure here.  

Promoting someone is literally semantics

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Not if they are assuming the authority of the job and can push back against the coach. Someone needs to be doing the GM's job right now besides our head coach.

Others do those jobs and report to Rivera and based off that information he makes the decision. Kyle, Tim, position coaches, coordinators and the scouts do all of the draft work and present their research to Ron. Alex Santos and Mann did it on the pro player side and now Donnie Warren will and whoever his assistant is, again they’ll report their research and rankings and recommendations to Ron. They have the cap guy who handles contracts. 

What work is Ron doing right now that other head coaches aren’t doing? What’s this huge workload?

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Others do those jobs and report to Rivera and based off that information he makes the decision. Kyle, Tim, position coaches, coordinators and the scouts do all of the draft work and present their research to Ron. Alex Santos and Mann did it on the pro player side and now Donnie Warren will and whoever his assistant is, again they’ll report their research and rankings and recommendations to Ron. They have the cap guy who handles contracts. 

What work is Ron doing right now that other head coaches aren’t doing? What’s this huge workload?

Working on a new team name.  Crap like that.  

21 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Working on a new team name.  Crap like that.  

That’s not a big deal, he’s not actually doing the legal work, he just has one of the strongest opinions in the room on the next name along with Doug Williams, the Minority owners and obviously Snyder himself. Ron talks to the media but he does that anyway. Ron I’d essentially our Joe Gibbs right now, he’s more CEO overseeing the football operations like Joe was from 2004-2007 & Shanahan from 2010-2013 then anything else. He has final say, unless Dan wants something in the future so bad that it’s “you do this or you’re fired,” which could’ve been the way it was when we traded up for RG3 and drafted Haskins.

Edited by turtle28

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So then you're telling me that Ron is the GM

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Not me. It was a smart thing to do. I wish I had thought of it. 

If you see a piece of real estate and think that in 2,5,10,or 20 years that development is going to come out here and some developers are going to want to build homes and commercial spaces on it, is it a smart thing to buy it up ahead of time?

Yes. 

Same with intellectual property, such as trademarks, copyrights, and patents.

It's smart business.

You can say price gouging is smart business too. Being good at turning up a profit doesn't make people appreciate middlemen any better.

I think the bigger issue will pop its head up once the season starts. Being a GM doesn’t stop once the offseason is over and the football starts back up. 

What happens when we need to scramble for injury replacements and have to hit the waiver wire or pick the guys to try to poach off practice squads or try to put together the list of street FAs? Is Ron going to be scouting and evaluating and calling the agents and setting up the workouts and negotiating the deals? As the CEO of football operations, surely he’ll be more involved in that process than the typical HC — and that will all be time taken away from his actual job.

Maybe a more clear example, what happens around the trade deadline? Let’s say we’re predictably well out of the playoff race by that point and we’re fielding offers for potential veteran FAs like Scherff and Kerrigan. What happens if negotiations on a trade are heating up on a deal for Scherff? That’s a high level organizational decision, surely Rivera will be very involved in that process. Is he leaving practice to work the phones? If not, who in the organization is going to handle that?

It just feels like too many hats for him to effectively wear, particularly as a first-year coach trying to put his structure in place. It’s one thing to ask it of Belichick, who has that place running like a well-oiled machine after 20 years of imposing his expectations. Rivera has his hands completely full with trying to revamp this team and locker room as a coach, without being asked to also sit at the head of our entire personnel department as well. 

• Like 1

I thought we were told the *new* name will be military driven?

Maybe?

Washington Generals 

Be pretty cool, because of General George Washington. (1st Prez)

I've also heard the name Warhawks thrown around. Isn't that a military Jet fighter? Not a bad name, really.

What about a Tank? Love Tanks..

Any cool Tank names out there?

8 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Maybe?

Washington Generals 

I've also heard the name Warhawks thrown around. Isn't that a military Jet fighter? Not a bad name, really.

Panzer-- but it's German .

14 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Maybe?

Washington Generals 

Firefly, Panther, Leopard, Centurion

I could go for Washington Centurions. Cause also means commander of 60-100 troops in the Roman army. And an entire team (counting practice squad) falls in that.

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s not a big deal, he’s not actually doing the legal work, he just has one of the strongest opinions in the room on the next name along with Doug Williams, the Minority owners and obviously Snyder himself. Ron talks to the media but he does that anyway. Ron I’d essentially our Joe Gibbs right now, he’s more CEO overseeing the football operations like Joe was from 2004-2007 & Shanahan from 2010-2013 then anything else. He has final say, unless Dan wants something in the future so bad that it’s “you do this or you’re fired,” which could’ve been the way it was when we traded up for RG3 and drafted Haskins.

This is a huge huge deal.  All this stuff adds up.  Coaching is a full time job.  He is also doing personnel.  And now we are talking about activities like the name which are more operations completely outside football.  I still question if the reason Gibbs 2.0 wasn't more successful was because Gibbs was doing so much stuff outside of coaching, which is truly his strength.  Rivera seems to be taking on even more than gibbs did.  

Now it isn't like he was forced into it, Rivera clearly wanted this coach centric all powerful role.  The question is whether it is too much and if it takes away from the focus on the actual day to day coaching.  This has worked in other franchises.  We will see if Rivera can do it here.

• Like 1