WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Haha, I know... I had to get a shot in to you to make me feel alive again (and remind you that Dak sucks, Philly sucks, but most of all we suck)

I figured. That's why I didn't really want to punch back at you lot. No fun at hitting a guy when he's down.

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I have a feeling we're going to be the other end of a hook from Prime Mike Tyson. 

The org yeah, but you guys should be fine.

Just give it time, the fan base will bounce back. My Penn State friends and I have made it through the Sandusky stuff, you guys will make it through this. Think of this as an opportunity for a new owner to come and mold some soft clay into something completely new and beautiful.

• Like 2

Just now, Danger said:

The org yeah, but you guys should be fine.

Just give it time, the fan base will bounce back. My Penn State friends and I have made it through the Sandusky stuff, you guys will make it through this. Think of this as an opportunity for a new owner to come and mold some soft clay into something completely new and beautiful.

Problem is, many fans feel a connection to the Redskins back to the glory days of Allen and Gibbs.  Many younger fans have already jumped ship due to apathy and the Ravens being a much better organization on and off the field.  What's left may not have Dan Snyder, but will also be devoid of everything that we've come to love about the organization (name, color scheme, fight song, history) and will seem like an expansion team- and make no mistake, the roster is close to being expansion team bad and has a mediocre coach, too.  

This is just the final straw for many.  I thought I would give the namechange a year, but I may not even wait this long.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Forge said:

I wish an NFL team would have the guts to go with something like this. I kind of love it

I think it's awesome! And young fans -which this franchise has been losing since the mid-90s over color or uniforms, logo that as beautiful but 15 years old, the young kids don't like the unis either, so they jump ship to the ravens or just root for their favorite players and that team.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Problem is, many fans feel a connection to the Redskins back to the glory days of Allen and Gibbs.

Yeah we had that to. Joe Paterno. You move on eventually, and get stronger as a base. Let the fake fans walk.

35 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Problem is, many fans feel a connection to the Redskins back to the glory days of Allen and Gibbs.  Many younger fans have already jumped ship due to apathy and the Ravens being a much better organization on and off the field.  What's left may not have Dan Snyder, but will also be devoid of everything that we've come to love about the organization (name, color scheme, fight song, history) and will seem like an expansion team- and make no mistake, the roster is close to being expansion team bad and has a mediocre coach, too.  

This is just the final straw for many.  I thought I would give the namechange a year, but I may not even wait this long.  

The history never goes away, memories don't go away, 3 Super Bowl trophies given to THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS don't go away. All of the Hall of Fame players & Joe Gibbs in the HofF don't go away.  

Personally, I think you are taking this the wrong way.

This franchise has needed retooling & a new/brighter future since I was in high school and I'm 41 now.

None of those things you say are gone are really gone, just the name and we know why it's going away. If you want to learn about that, open up a history book and read about the American Colonies, and talk to the tribes or the groups representing the tribes.

The name change is long overdue. Like, 55 years overdue! When the team was finally integrated, they should have been forced to changed the name then. If that had happened we would have been loving all the Warriors highlights and the 3 super bowls they had in 82, 88 & 92, but it didn't & here we are a generation kagr dealing with something that should have been changed when my dad was in middle school and he's going to be 68 in October.

I would also say that just bc our team doesn't have a lot of star power does not mean we have expansion league talent. Dwayne Haskins looked great last December before his ankle injury with less talent than he has now at his disposal and our D has now more talent on it then it's had since 2005. Now, that doesn't mean that we are going to be good, but this season is about evaluation and building something for the future.

I would actually also say that you're not even giving Rivera a chance and I don't usually go at mods, but you're ferocious disdain for him based off of two seasons when his Pro Bowl QB had season-ending surgeries just doesn't pass the smell test man. When Rivera had talent on D to work with & Cam Newton he went 15-1 and took the Panthers to the Super Bowl and I’d give my right arm for the Redskins to get that

This is not hiring Mike Shanahan who was 12 years removed from winning a super bowl with the hall of fame QB he inherited. Rivers almost won a super bowl after a 15-1 season just 5 seasons ago then, his GM Dave Gettleman didn't keep the team together and then Cam Newton started getting hurt every year. That's why the Panthers took a downturn.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The history never goes away, memories don't go away, 3 Super Bowl trophies given to THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS don't go away. All of the Hall of Fame players & Joe Gibbs in the HofF don't go away.  

Personally, I think you are taking this the wrong way.

This franchise has needed retooling & a new/brighter future since I was in high school and I'm 41 now.

None of those things you say are gone, just the name and we know why it's going away. If you want to learn about open up a history book and read about the American Colonies, and talk to the tribes or the groups representing the tribes.

The name change is long overdue. Like, 55 years overdue! When the team was finally integrated, they should have been forced to changed the name then. If that had happened we would have been loving all the Warriors highlights and the 3 super bowls they had in 82, 88 & 92, but it didn't  here we are.

I would also say that just bc our team doesn't have a lot of star power does not mean we have expansion league talent. Dwayne Haskins look great last December before bus ankle injury with less talent than he has now at his disposal and our D has now talent on it then it's had since 2005. Now, that doesn't mean that we are going to be good, but this season is about evaluation and building something for ghr future.

I would actually also say that you're not even giving Rivera a chance and I don't usually go at mods, but you're ferocious disdain for him based off of two seasons when his Pro Bowl QB had season-ending surgeries just doesn't pass the smell test man. When Rivera had talent on D to work with & Cam Newton he went 15-1 and took the Panthers to the Super Bowl and I’d give my right arm for the Redskins to get that

This is not hiring Mike Shanahan who was 12 years removed from winning a super bowl with a hall of fame QB he inherited. Rivers almost won a super bowl after a 15-1 season just 5 seasons ago then, his GM Dave Gettleman didn't keep the team together and then Cam Newton started getting hurt every year. That's why the Panthers took a downturn.

I see your point about the change, but everyone has their own reasons to be a fan.  No one can project onto others how they should feel about it.  My reasons are my own, as are yours.  I certainly won't criticize anyone who wants to stay a fan after it, nor will I criticize anyone who walks away.  Like I said, before this, I was committed to a year, I might not give it that much time anymore.  

Haskins looked great against some second-rate secondaries is the other way of looking at it.  Either way there was promise, but there is not a lot of talent on this team right now outside of the defensive line.  I used to be a homer and look at things through the glasses of my team, but this just reminds me of all of the Orioles rosters from the 2000's.  Just enough talent not to completely suck and get top 3-5 picks year after year and look like we are actually doing something.  

It's more than those two years without Newton.  Rivera has a losing record after the 15-1 season.  He has four winning seasons in nine years, when Allen had three in ten.  What kind of upgrade is that?  Not only that, we brought him in to coach, run football operations AND he is now Snyder's BFF.  He hasn't proven himself in the football operations department and we just handed him the keys to everything, when we really need him to work on the locker room culture and holding people accountable........which he can actually do.  It's yet again another short-sighted Snyder decision, and another mediocre coach (in the whole scheme of things.). 

• Like 1