WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

26 minutes ago, daboyle250 said:

Made another Redwolves logo FWIW

EcYZnVJWoAAZNpD?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I don’t like the logo, it’s too cartoonish to me. It looks like something you’d see in college, CFL,  XFL or Arena League.

The easiest decal to do is a curly R If it’s a name starting with an R or a curly W if it’s Warriors. I’ve seen a few helmets that People have done that show that, I’ll find them.

The white helmet might have to drop the feather depending on what the name is, but you get the idea.

Edited by turtle28

45 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t like the logo, it’s too cartoonish to me. It looks like something you’d see in college, CFL,  XFL or Arena League.

The easiest decal to do is a curly R If it’s a name starting with an R or a curly W if it’s Warriors. I’ve seen a few helmets that People have done that show that, I’ll find them.

Not what Id prefer either. But "cartoonish" wouldnt bother me. Weve lost a lot of fans. And havent really made any new ones. Something to appeal to the more youthful demo of the region might keep areas like mine from being majority Cowboy fans. So Id gladly deal with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Not what Id prefer either. But "cartoonish" wouldnt bother me. Weve lost a lot of fans. And havent really made any new ones. Something to appeal to the more youthful demo of the region might keep areas like mine from being majority Cowboy fans. So Id gladly deal with it.

That’s true and it’s also true that no other teams in the league have a logo that looks like that, so perhaps it would be a draw to young fans.

As an expert like former Packers executive 

Andrew Brandt explained, it would take a "herculean" effort to undergo a full name change by Week 1 of the 2020 season. 

So how can Washington appease sponsors while also giving the change the time it needs? Allow Kenneth Shropshire, Adidas Distinguished Professor of Global Sport and CEO of Global Sport Institute at Arizona State University, to explain. 

"You could be the Washington Football Club for a season and then have a whole season's worth of fan competition for a new name," Shropshire said on the Redskins Talk podcast. "That sort of thing could rally interest. So you'd have a 'W' on the helmet for a year."

Our own JP Finlay has already pitched that ideain the spirit of "less is more" with the franchise's new nickname, and Shropshire could see that as an option for next season as Washington figures out what name will best suit them for years to come. In his own experience, going with a standard name for one year has worked for football programs like the Stanford Cardinal.

"I went to Stanford University on a football scholarship, I was recruited there when they were the Stanford Indians and then the year I came in they dropped the name and they were just 'Stanford' for a period of time before they became the 'Cardinal,'" Shropshire said. "So there are examples of these wait-and-see periods too."

"The biggest problem is the equipment, the biggest problem is going to be changing stationary and assisting [media] in making whatever reference they want to be made going forward," Shropshire said. It can certainly be done I mean, think about it. You can make the announcement and say, 'We are gradually making the change.'

‪I agree that there’s not enough to change the name before the season starts. They could stay the Redskins for one more year or, if the minority owners won’t agree to that and Snyder doesn’t want to lose them they could go w/ no team name, be the Washington Football Club for just one year & have a curly Gold ‘W’on the helmet.

Edited by turtle28

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

‪I agree that there’s not enough to change the name before the season starts. They could stay the Redskins for one more year or, if the minority owners won’t agree to that and Snyder doesn’t want to lose them they could go w/ no team name, be the Washington Football Club for just one year & have a curly Gold ‘W’on the helmet.

Maybe we should just be the Washington Football Club.  Why do we need some silly mascot?  

16 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Maybe we should just be the Washington Football Club.  Why do we need some silly mascot?  

We could, they do that in soccer a lot but, I think most fans want a new name/logo/mascot if the team does change the name. I also think that Dan will want that as well if he does agree to change the name.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Speaking of, I preordered a Chase Young shirsey. They better not ship that until the name change.

its kinda interesting though if you get a Redskins Chase Young Jersey you could have a rarer jersey in 20 some years compared to if you got one with the new name

• Like 1

20 hours ago, daboyle250 said:

I’d like the name to start with R to maintain the HTTR

Is HTTR that important? Would HTTW(olves) or any other letter eventually be fine?
Just curious from a non-fan.

The song will probably need another update besides the name, would need to change the "braves on the warpath" line.

I get the want to keep as much as you can,
But would it be worth boxing yourself in on rebranding one of the top 20 most valuable teams in the world that resides in the 7th biggest (and growing) media market?

I feel like at this point you try to create the strongest identity you can.
Tacking "Red" onto the front of random words kinda flies in the face of that.

57 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Is HTTR that important? Would HTTW(olves) or any other letter eventually be fine?
Just curious from a non-fan.

The song will probably need another update besides the name, would need to change the "braves on the warpath" line.

I get the want to keep as much as you can,
But would it be worth boxing yourself in on rebranding one of the top 20 most valuable teams in the world that resides in the 7th biggest (and growing) media market?

I feel like at this point you try to create the strongest identity you can.
Tacking "Red" onto the front of random words kinda flies in the face of that.

Depends on what the name ends up being. If it starts with an Red and I like the name, I’ll be good with that. Reds, Redwolves, RedHawks (like Miami University did in 1996), Red Tails in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen are all names I’m cool with.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

That's exactly what I was thinking frankly. In all likelihood this just becomes an issue again in a couple of years unless you completely disassociate with all Native Americanisms in branding.

• Like 4