WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

People actually do get attached to the nickname, if anyone should know that it should be us as Redskins fans and the change of the name which has been an argument since the 90s.

I still like Admirals the best bc of being close to the Naval Academy but I like RedWolves a lot too and the new uniform designs could be cool with that.

They can still be attached to a nickname. It doesnt have to be part of the team name to be such. Liverpool have been called The Reds for 100 years. Everton the Blues. My Club America avi I sport, they became The Eagles. Like I said, Newport County are the Ironsides because of their Coal and Iron shipping harbor. My old team Veracruz were the Red Sharks because of the red sharks. A name will come naturally through the fans over time as the widely accepted name.

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

They can still be attached to a nickname. It doesnt have to be part of the team name to be such. Liverpool have been called The Reds for 100 years. Everton the Blues. My Club America avi I sport, they became The Eagles. Like I said, Newport County are the Ironsides because of their Coal and Iron shipping harbor. My old team Veracruz were the Red Sharks because of the red sharks. A name will come naturally through the fans over time as the widely accepted name.

So, Washington Football Team RedWolves?

Yeah, that had an amazing ring to it... 👀 

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So, Washington Football Team RedWolves?

Yeah, that had an amazing ring to it... 👀 

Does Ohio State call their stadium Ohio Stadium or The Horseshoe? Is it the Ohio Stadium Horseshoe? The name Horseshoe came naturally and stuck. Nobody has to explain it to anyone. You hear the word and you know whats being talked about is OSUs stadium.

Its the same thing. A name will come naturally if it were Washington Football Team/Club/Franchise or whatever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/jason-wright-says-theres-pretty-good-chance-washington-football-team-will

Looks like they are going to be nameless for another year. Nameless losers fits this franchise pretty well. 

Awful but, his explanation makes sense:

So, why will it take so long for Washington to complete its rebrand with a new team name?

"Next year is fast, because of how the brand has to come together, through uniforms, through the approval process, through the league, all of that," Wright said.

In the meantime, the franchise has launched an initiative called "No Name But Team," encouraging fans to share their ideas for what the team's next moniker should be.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/jason-wright-says-theres-pretty-good-chance-washington-football-team-will

Looks like they are going to be nameless for another year. Nameless losers fits this franchise pretty well. 

That is atrocious. 

I was one who defended them for not getting it done for this season. I would defend them if they didn’t have everything all fully lined up for the coming season (uniforms, signage, etc). 

If they can’t even have a damn name in place by the beginning of next season, they’ve totally dropped the ball in my book. This “Football Team” stuff is so lame I can barely stand seeing it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

That is atrocious. 

I was one who defended them for not getting it done for this season. I would defend them if they didn’t have everything all fully lined up for the coming season (uniforms, signage, etc). 

If they can’t even have a damn name in place by the beginning of next season, they’ve totally dropped the ball in my book. This “Football Team” stuff is so lame I can barely stand seeing it. 

Americans...

5200+ football clubs around the world have FC, AC, AFC or such as their name. Yet all sprouted nicknames naturally thats accepted widely by their bases.

But Americans.... "I need a name. Hurry up and give the team a name for me."

Team : *gives name*

Americans : "I HATE THAT NAME!"

😄

7 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Americans...

5200+ football clubs around the world have FC, AC, AFC or such as their name. Yet all sprouted nicknames naturally thats accepted widely by their bases.

😄

I’m with you bud, but like you pointed out it’s the minority

I have been half hearted in my fanhood this year and it will probably carry over into 2022 now. The general lack for caring for this franchises fans has jaded me so bad. 

I badly want to root for my lifelong favorite team. However as much as they are the same terrible team, they are devolving into something I question if I want to support anymore. If this team was the Washington Redskins (yes, even run by Dan Snyder) I have pledged my fanhood to my whole life, there would be no question, win or lose, but I am extremely less enthused to support Washington Football Team run by Dan Snyder. 

This is about as close as I have ever been to a fairweather fan. 

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bkgbp0d1wkdau81xyeh

Edited by Slappy Mc

49 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Americans...

😄

If I wanted that I’d root for a soccer team. I think it’s stupid that they do it in that sport as well. 

44 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Americans...

😄

Yeah. That about sums it up. International football has its idosyncrasies and naming conventions, American football has its own. They aren’t the same, and I don’t know why I’d want them to be. 

Moreover, this team is not called “Football Team” because they really like it as the permanent name, or because they’re trying to start an American trend of this thing that fans of 5200+ soccer teams apparently find neat. It’s just a lame, painfully generic placeholder that acts as a constant reminder of the old name and their apparently ongoing failure to settle on a new one. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

That is atrocious. 

Really it just speaks to how little they care about the fans. The Julie Donaldson hire seems to be a complete joke and it’s a shame because she was a damn good insider/reporter. I honestly have no idea what Wright does other than play on twitter all day? Name the damn team and give us some kind of identity. We’re an awful team with no name and being a fan is embarrassing. 

39 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I’m with you bud, but like you pointed out it’s the minority

Your Hokies are the perfect example. Its not a forced name. Nobody picked it for you and said this is who you are. It grew natural and established itself.

And UVA is a case of showing both sides of it. Hoos is natural, Cavs is forced. Nobody uses Cavs except sports announcers and even then theyll still refer to them as Hoos at different points. Natural is always better and widely loved over some random name by an owner.