WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Yeah. That about sums it up. International football has its idosyncrasies and naming conventions, American football has its own. They aren’t the same, and I don’t know why I’d want them to be. 

Moreover, this team is not called “Football Team” because they really like it as the permanent name, or because they’re trying to start an American trend of this thing that fans of 5200+ soccer teams apparently find neat. It’s just a lame, painfully generic placeholder that acts as a constant reminder of the old name and their apparently ongoing failure to settle on a new one. 

Youre not grasping what Im saying though. A name will come naturally regardless. Want some samples to guess the names?

0?e=2159024400&v=beta&t=m2md7hw0ljdEwQ69Union_sportive_Orl%C3%A9ans_Loiret_footbLogo-Swansea-City-FC-300x227.jpg

Im saying if you sit back and let one come naturally. Just like in my "Hoos vs. Cavs" statement. Long term youll appreciate it much more than one picked out for you.

36 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:
On 7/11/2020 at 7:21 AM, MikeT14 said:

There's an article on ESPN that talks about how this process usually takes 1-2 YEARS not months. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29433710/renaming-redskins-process-hurdles-possible-fallout

Bumping. Again. 

This would be relevant except for this:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-washingtons-nfl-team-hasnt-picked-a-nameand-could-keep-its-interim-one-11600009482?st=5wkfsl019w2ic8q&reflink=article_copyURL_share

It was a stop gap measure because owner Dan Snyder didn’t think the team had time to thoughtfully select a new name before the 2020 season, which begins this week. But as weeks have passed and the team prepares for its first game Sunday against Philadelphia, Snyder is allowing for a different possibility: keeping the temporary name for good.

“Sure, it’s possible!” Snyder wrote in an email to The Wall Street Journal.

If the Washington Football Team name catches on and our fans embrace it then we would be happy to have it as our permanent name,” he wrote. “I think we have developed a very classy retro look and feel.”

How long must we keep eating the lies they feed us? They found an "out" that people would give them a pass for and they will continue to milk it and try to get people to buy WFT merchandise without even trying to find a permanent name.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-washingtons-nfl-team-hasnt-picked-a-nameand-could-keep-its-interim-one-11600009482?st=5wkfsl019w2ic8q&reflink=article_copyURL_share

How long must we keep eating the lies they feed us? They found an "out" that people would give them a pass for and they will continue to milk it and try to get people to buy WFT merchandise without even trying to find a permanent name.

So... it's still relevant? I'm not sure what you posted means it's definitely staying minus a "sure, it's possible" and fans would need to embrace it. Obviously that doesn't seem to be the case. They're still doing promotional material for people to submit their ideas. 

I think my point stands. 

11 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

So true, I get these emails to buy their trash everyday. How about you play your first round QB to evaluate him all season and try to win games by building a team in the off-season and not just deciding week 5 that you want to try to win games? You do that and maybe I'll buy a t-shirt or a mask. For now I'll stick with my Caps, Nats and Wizards masks and shirts. Especially my Caps and Nats championship gear!

10 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So... it's still relevant? I'm not sure what you posted means it's definitely staying minus a "sure, it's possible" and fans would need to embrace it. Obviously that doesn't seem to be the case. They're still doing promotional material for people to submit their ideas. 

I think my point stands. 

Let me put it in terms that make the most sense to me.

I have 3 kids. Those kids have WAY too many toys. I threw away some toys that seemed unwanted. My middle child of course asks where a specific toy is. Now here is the part where it correlates. I tell my kid I will help him look for the toy, knowing very well that the toy is gone, never to return. 

We are my kids, this Organization is me as a parent, lying about trying to help find something that is lost. 

29 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I have 3 kids. Those kids have WAY too many toys. I threw away some toys that seemed unwanted. My middle child of course asks where a specific toy is. Now here is the part where it correlates. I tell my kid I will help him look for the toy, knowing very well that the toy is gone, never to return. 

We are my kids, this Organization is me as a parent, lying about trying to help find something that is lost. 

Sure, it's possible that they're slowly but surely breaking the news to us over time that it's gonna stay. I, on my end, am not convinced that is true yet. 

46 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

You as a parent dedicating time to make your children happy despite the knowledge does not equate to a business, predicated on profits, devoting resources and time to something they, based on your analogy, aren't doing regardless. 

• Like 2

I’m not going to be happy if they don’t chose a new name. A new name is a golden opportunity to get fans excited - especially young fans who could like the mascot if say it’s a wolf, another animal or even something dealing with the military like Admirals.

I found it weird that Jason Wright talked about the fans input on social media and he kind of acted like it wasn’t happening but if he’s playing attention - and I’m sure they are - RedWolves is the run away winner in the clubhouse. It’s not even close. There have been polls done official and unofficial, there have been prototypes done by graffic artists, they need to just name them that in January or February and roll with it!

1 minute ago, SuperBowl=best said:

Bring back the Redskins, please.  We need to keep calling them the Redskins until they return.  Like when the public eschewed New Coke.

Eschew any non-Redskins name for the Redskins.

That’s not going to happen for multiple reasons. They’ve already moved on from the name for one, they’re not going to reverse course. Also, Snyder did it because  the companies who own part of the team with him were forcing him to do it by saying they were going to sell their part of the team. It’d be hard pressed for Snyder to replace that revenue if he lost it.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s not going to happen for multiple reasons. They’ve already moved on from the name for one, they’re not going to reverse course. Also, Snyder did it because  the companies who own part of the team with him were forcing him to do it by saying they were going to sell their part of the team. It’d be hard pressed for Snyder to replace that revenue if he lost it.

When there's a will there's a way.  Coca Cola Co. thought New Coke was the drink of the future.  Things can be reversed.

Redwolves sounds so cringey.  Leave that for suburban high schools, please.

3 minutes ago, SuperBowl=best said:

When there's a will there's a way.  Coca Cola Co. thought New Coke was the drink of the future.  Things can be reversed.

Bad example. Because Coke use to be in high demand because of the cocaine. And much like the Redskin name. Was stripped out of the product. Never to return.

Just now, PARROTHEAD said:

Bad example. Because Coke use to be in high demand because of the cocaine. And much like the Redskin name. Was stripped out of the product. Never to return.

The cocaineless formula was still beloved, and eventually brought back.

If coke fans can bring coke back, then we can bring the Redskins back. Don't be negative.  We can do this.

15 minutes ago, SuperBowl=best said:

You are free to believe what you want but it’s clear the R name is not coming back. And in this forum we’ve talked about this for about a decade. We’ve moved on here and accepted what will be will be. We have no control over the name.

I’ve actually enjoyed watching the Arkansas State RedWolves this year in college football, I like the look and the name has grown on me as it has most fans.

Edited by turtle28