Thaiphoon

WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

12 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

I feel like they stay with The Football Team and the colors. Or just go a whole different direction, like totally different colors name etc.

They’ve already said the colors are staying. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They’ve already said the colors are staying. 

I know. Just saying what I would do. I feel like keeping the colors will always bring back this thought of the Redskins which would make it tough for me as a fan. Or slightly change the color format like the Titans did going from the Oilers to Titans.

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

OK, what's your pref ? Just curious.

I’m in the bag for Redwolves. Or Red Wolves, I don’t have a strong preference on that. 

It hits all the notes I’m looking for. Keeps the “R” so the HTTR tagline can live on. Is an animal instead of a person or a social construct. Is a critically endangered animal that this kind of attention could really benefit. Is a bit out of the ordinary among NFL animal names (lots of big cats and birds but nothing in the dog/wolf area). Retains a bit of the spirit of the old name, in the sense that there’s a connection between Native Americans and wolves. Brings some of the kitschy built-in team spirit/identity stuff — stadium as the “Den,” players and fans as part of the “Pack,” the idea of howling on 3rd downs, etc.

That last one sounds corny, probably, but I think it’s important. It’s hard to rebuild an identity when you’ve had yours taken away after so long, and so many of these proposed names are so drab and boring that it would be very difficult to galvanize any sort of identity/tradition creation. They’re basically the team name version of Fedex Field — sterile, dreary, corporate, utterly uninspiring. Which I guess would be fitting for the SnyderSkins, but I think we’re hoping to hit a different note here. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3

On 11/17/2020 at 2:05 PM, e16bball said:

I’m in the bag for Redwolves. Or Red Wolves, I don’t have a strong preference on that. 

Washington Redwolves

vs.

Washington Red Wolves

I think the second one looks better, but also feels more association than American football as that would be the only two word mascot in the league.

But I would be down for wolves in either format. Snyder should buy up and then immediately fold the local professional rugby team (Washington Renegades) taking the name for his team. Would be on brand for Snyder too.

• Like 1

Renegades - Hate it ! Hate it ! Hate it ! and Redtails too ! Hate it !

5 minutes ago, Skinscavalier said:

Red Wolves!

Yes, if we MUST have a name but Football "Club" has grown on me . It's unusual , unique to the NFL .

• Like 1

Just now, RSkinGM said:

Football "Club" has grown on me . It's unusual , unique to the NFL .

❤️

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

❤️

Also, in my head -They'd still be the Redskins ! I read already the N A s are objecting for that very reason -really !? 

Washington NFL should not be the only team to dump a nickname offensive to Native Americans.

If every other team with such a nickname is wise, they will do so too.

On the college level, for example, Central Michigan, Florida State, and Utah could change to Cherries, Senators, and Bees, respectively.

The two MLB teams with this kind of a nickname I have creative proposals.

Cleveland can change its name to the Barons after various hockey teams by that name that once played in the city. They can add orange, brown and gold to their color scheme and change the shade of red used to wine, thus making their new look a celebration of Cleveland's entire sports history.

Atlanta can acquire the rights to the Thrashers identity once used by the city's second NHL team, using their look almost verbatim. The hockey stick of the original Thrashers logo is changed to a baseball bat. And the four basic uniform designs used by the NHL team would be the basis for alternate uniforms used by the baseball team, which would also have Capitol Copper and Peachtree Gold alternates.

Edited by pf9

32 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Washington NFL should not be the only team to dump a nickname offensive to Native Americans.

If every other team with such a nickname is wise, they will do so too.

On the college level, for example, Central Michigan, Florida State, and Utah could change to Cherries, Senators, and Bees, respectively.

The two MLB teams with this kind of a nickname I have creative proposals.

Cleveland can change its name to the Barons after various hockey teams by that name that once played in the city. They can add orange, brown and gold to their color scheme and change the shade of red used to wine, thus making their new look a celebration of Cleveland's entire sports history.

Atlanta can acquire the rights to the Thrashers identity once used by the city's second NHL team, using their look almost verbatim. The hockey stick of the original Thrashers logo is changed to a baseball bat. And the four basic uniform designs used by the NHL team would be the basis for alternate uniforms used by the baseball team, which would also have Capitol Copper and Peachtree Gold alternates.

https://unicomm.fsu.edu/messages/relationship-seminole-tribe-florida/

Seminoles will stay 

For almost 70 years, Florida State has worked closely, side by side, with the Seminole Tribe of Florida. The relationship, built on respect, is so mutually supportive that in 2005 the tribe — which rarely puts such things in writing — took an unprecedented, historic step with a public declaration of support. The Seminole Tribe invited the university president at that time, T.K. Wetherell, to Big Cypress Reservation to receive a written resolution from the Tribal Council affirming its enthusiastic support for the university's use of the Seminole name, logos and images. Subsequently, Chief Jerry Haney of the Seminole Tribe of Oklahoma also publicly stated his support.

• Like 1

But Senators would be a very fitting nickname for FSU. The university is located in Florida's capital, Tallahassee. And sports teams which play in either Washington DC or a state capital have often been named Senators (ex. the Washington Senators of Major League Baseball, whose first incarnation is now the Minnesota Twins, and second is now the Texas Rangers).

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

Far be it from me to celebrate/stick up for FSU, but the actual Seminole nation (the one that is comprised of actual Native Americans) is on board with Florida State name.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/seminoles/2020/07/10/why-florida-state-seminole-tribe-stand-behind-the-seminoles-nickname/

Cannot speak to CMU or Utah, but it's possible that there's something similar there.

Edited by Woz
  • Like 2