WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

On 6/17/2021 at 10:53 AM, Ghostnote said:

My two criteria for this team:

1. It has to remain Washington and have a nickname other than Football Team. 

2. This team must get closer to Washington D.C.

Keeping the WFT moniker is embarrassing. It shows no creativity and no commitment to the fanbase to reel fans in. 

My favorite names I have seen so far:

Washington Red Wolves

Washington Warthogs

Washington Wolfpack

I am still irritated that this forum still has a name of "Washington". 

see you and me GIF

28 minutes ago, offbyone said:

So you got a problem with me calling my dog dog?  

A soccer name would be club not team. 

I am sure we end up going to go with some stupid animal name that has nothing to do with the team or something like that because we have to be like everyone else.

I like WFT myself.  It is neutral.  It is different from every team in the nfl.  It has a bit of screw u to the nfl.  

Cabin Fever Reaction GIF by chuber channel

21 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

And thank you for joining the rest of planet Earth in not needing some childish nickname for a business.

If by “the rest of planet Earth,” you’re referring to the European/club soccer dominated portions, then okay. 

Chinese teams use the city-mascot structure. Indian teams and American teams do as well, so there’s the 3 most populous countries in the world (over 3 billion people in total) who haven’t “joined the rest of planet Earth.” Japanese and Korean teams use it, Canadian teams use it, baseball teams throughout Latin America use it, Australian basketball teams use it, etc. It’s fine if you prefer the football club style of naming franchises, but I don’t think there’s really much basis to suggest that this is unique to American sports or that it’s a foreign concept to the rest of the world. 

But regardless of whether that statement is true, as someone raised in America and on American sports, where there are ~120 major franchises and every single one utilizes (and has always utilized) a city-mascot naming structure, that’s what I’m accustomed to and prefer. In view of that tradition, in this particular league and in this particular country, a team named “football team” is exceedingly lame to me. Painfully so, in fact. Especially when the reason they landed on that “name” to begin with is because their prior mascot was deemed racist and they chose it as a pouty, snarky temporary place-holder in a pinch — and now are considering keeping it because the general attitude toward the non-name seems to be “meh, I guess I’m kinda getting used to it, I don’t hate it quite as much as I did before at least.” 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

If by “the rest of planet Earth,” you’re referring to the European/club soccer dominated portions, then okay. 

Chinese teams use the city-mascot structure. Indian teams and American teams do as well, so there’s the 3 most populous countries in the world (over 3 billion people in total) who haven’t “joined the rest of planet Earth.” Japanese and Korean teams use it, Canadian teams use it, baseball teams throughout Latin America use it, Australian basketball teams use it, etc. It’s fine if you prefer the football club style of naming franchises, but I don’t think there’s really much basis to suggest that this is unique to American sports or that it’s a foreign concept to the rest of the world. 

But regardless of whether that statement is true, as someone raised in America and on American sports, where there are ~120 major franchises and every single one utilizes (and has always utilized) a city-mascot naming structure, that’s what I’m accustomed to and prefer. In view of that tradition, in this particular league and in this particular country, a team named “football team” is exceedingly lame to me. Painfully so, in fact. Especially when the reason they landed on that “name” to begin with is because their prior mascot was deemed racist and they chose it as a pouty, snarky temporary place-holder in a pinch — and now are considering keeping it because the general attitude toward the non-name seems to be “meh, I guess I’m kinda getting used to it, I don’t hate it quite as much as I did before at least.” 

2 teams in India football. And one of those just changed its name and was being heavily protested.

China is trying to draw people into the sport. So many of the teams chose names to draw kids. See. In China with the 1 kid law. The mass majority of parents would not allow their kids to play ANY sport. Because they knew any long term injury could affect or bring the end of their family line. Its the soul reason they have 1.4 billion people. But cant find the talent to beat countries in the single digit million population.

For the rest of the world. A name isnt picked for them. Its grown and adopted through the people organically. Sheffield United are the Blades because of their cutlery industry. West Ham are the Irons or Hammers because they were an industrial workmans team called Thames Ironworks.

"Football Team" allows the fans to control the name the team becomes referred as. Same workings as "Hoos" for UVA and "Hokies" for VT. Which VT did adopt later on. But it was the peoples controlling input that dictated that result.

But here. What do we have? A bunch of grown adults bickering all over what name the owner should brand his cash machine with. My way of letting a team grow a way to be referred to organically tops letting Snyder pick whatever name that hasnt been trademarked. I dont see how you can defend otherwise. Cause it wont just be the fanbase choice. But every single name is available without any trademark or copyright getting in the way.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

+1 I will never buy anything that says football team

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 11:29 AM, offbyone said:

So you got a problem with me calling my dog dog?  

A soccer name would be club not team. 

I am sure we end up going to go with some stupid animal name that has nothing to do with the team or something like that because we have to be like everyone else.

I like WFT myself.  It is neutral.  It is different from every team in the nfl.  It has a bit of screw u to the nfl.  

I can live with WFT in a short term, but I think it does the franchise no good to NOT have a nickname. 

My issue is, that from a marketing standpoint, including things other than merchandise, being bland or neutral can seem cool, but it doesnt last very long. 

European Football Clubs have a different culture, following, and pride as it relates to their cities and the sports which populate European sports markets. There is no possible correlation between NFL and Bundesliga, Serie A etc...

1 hour ago, Ghostnote said:

I can live with WFT in a short term, but I think it does the franchise no good to NOT have a nickname. 

My issue is, that from a marketing standpoint, including things other than merchandise, being bland or neutral can seem cool, but it doesnt last very long. 

European Football Clubs have a different culture, following, and pride as it relates to their cities and the sports which populate European sports markets. There is no possible correlation between NFL and Bundesliga, Serie A etc...

All those Euro clubs. Mexico Clubs and all else have ways their fans refer to their teams.

Real Madrid fans started referring to them as the Vikings. Due to one point in their history they had a roster loaded with bearded guys.

WFT is perfect and allows the fans complete control of how the team gets to be known as. And it means more to fans when done that way. UVA fans dont call them the Cavs. Theyre the Hoos. Hoos is the name with meaning to them because its theirs.

On 6/18/2021 at 9:44 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

And thank you for joining the rest of planet Earth in not needing some childish nickname for a business.

Im not sure it’s the rest of planet earth considering nearly every North American sports team has a mascot and a huge fanbase. You love soccer so you can relate with Football Team or Club. To me, I think it’s lazy and boring. I think it will be absolutely horrible in the long run if they pick the name as far as growing the dwindling fanbase goes and I’ve personally refrained from buying anything with Washington Football Team on it because it’s silly and reads as a parody. 

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I wouldn't look any deeper than the surface of this in the sense that it's mostly to obtain copyright protections for memorabilia, etc.  

No it appears as though they were rejected trademark protection for the WFT brand in general.  So they can't protect their rights to their own products now. Sounds like WFT as a long term solution is dead. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

No it appears as though they were rejected trademark protection for the WFT brand in general.  So they can't protect their rights to their own products now. Sounds like WFT as a long term solution is dead. 

Nah man -Just give the dude a coupla season tickets -- too the Ravens !