WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

It won’t be Wolves. It’s going to be Warriors. This whole fan interaction thing was a sham. They’ve always had a name in mind just Incase this day came. Cooley is pretty plugged in and basically said people he knows said they’ve had the name since before the change happened. It’s Warriors. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

It won’t be Wolves. It’s going to be Warriors. This whole fan interaction thing was a sham. They’ve always had a name in mind just Incase this day came. Cooley is pretty plugged in and basically said people he knows said they’ve had the name since before the change happened. It’s Warriors. 

I don't think he would outright lie to us like this though. I'm confident from that it 100% is not Warriors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't think he would outright lie to us like this though. I'm confident from that it 100% is not Warriors. 

Conflicting points of view between someone who was Snyder’s favorite jock strap to sniff in the 2000s vs the current team President.

I too feel it’s going to be Warriors. Maybe Cooley’s was more an opinion/feel vs actually asking anyone. 

I’d say if Jason Wright says it won’t be then I think I have to go with another name and I’d lean towards Wolves or Red Wolves.

Edited by turtle28

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Conflicting points of view between someone who was Snyder’s favorite jock strap to sniff in the 2000s vs the current team President.

I too feel it’s going to be Warriors. Maybe Cooley’s was more an opinion/feel vs actually asking anyone. 

I’d say it Jason Wright says it won’t be then I think I have to go with another name and I’d lean towards Wolves or Red Wolves.

If the President of the organization is coming out and saying it ISN'T the Warriors, why would they do some stupid heel turn and then pick Warriors? That surprise doesn't make sense for this. Like I saw nothing from that that now makes me feel Warriors is still an option. 

“In the spirit of that engagement, I want to address a name that has emerged amongst our fanbase, “Warriors.” One might look at this name as a natural, and even harmless transition considering that it does not necessarily or specifically carry a negative connotation,” Wright wrote. “But as we learned through our research and engagement with various groups, “context matters” and that makes it a “slippery slope.” Feedback from across communities we engaged clearly revealed deep-seated discomfort around Warriors, with the clear acknowledgment that it too closely aligns with Native American themes. Such an embrace of potentially Native-adjacent iconography and imagery would not represent a clear departure that many communities have so forcefully advocated for us to embrace, and that frankly, we set out to do when we started this process a year ago.”

If the President of the organization is coming out and saying it ISN'T the Warriors, why would they do some stupid heel turn and then pick Warriors? That surprise doesn't make sense for this. Like I saw nothing from that that now makes me feel Warriors is still an option. 

Did hey hire Vince McMahon? 

You’re right. It was just a feel I had like Lavar.

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If it’s not Warriors then it’s wolves. They must’ve had issues getting the trademark back for Warriors after letting it lapse. 

It would still be too Native American -from what I've read. They want no hint of that .

43 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If it’s not Warriors then it’s wolves. They must’ve had issues getting the trademark back for Warriors after letting it lapse. 

I don’t think they’re lying about the reason. 

I’ve been saying all along, and I think some of the reporters have suggested the same, that moving to the name “Warriors” isn’t going to fly with much of the outrage mob that forced the change in the first place. That name has always been a reference to indigenous people when used in sports team names, and I never really thought that packaging it as “a different kind of warrior” would really assuage the aggrieved. 

To me, Redwolves is such an obvious choice that the only reason it wouldn’t be the name is because they’re still the SnyderSkins at heart and can find a way to screw up literally anything. Although who knows, maybe there’s even too much linkage between Native Americans and wolves for that to be a viable path.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

It would still be too Native American -from what I've read. They want no hint of that .

The idea that we couldn’t pick an animal because it might be too Native American is absurd. It’s an animal. With Warriors knocked out I’m with E. Redwolves is about as good as it’s gonna get.