WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

3 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I could see my sons getting excited about a team named the RedWolves. I’m not so sure about the others. There’s something to be said for an animal mascot in that sense.

Yeah, its like @PARROTHEAD said, having a name like that with a cartoonish mascot & decal could help the franchise get more young fans which it's been losing for years for many reasons.

• Like 1

After thinking about the name issue...

I'm hoping for Washington Football Club (or Washington FC)

But I'm really on board for Covid 19 cancelling the whole season. 

If we can't be the Redskins, i hope for no football.

Maybe a cancelled season can allow Snyder to slowly figure out what to do on the name issue. Maybe find a new partner & sponsors & keep the Redskins name the way it should be.

If we have to rush it, for this season?

Washington Football Club for me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

After thinking about the name issue...

I'm hoping for Washington Football Club (or Washington FC)

But I'm really on board for Covid 19 cancelling the whole season. 

If we can't be the Redskins, i hope for no football.

Maybe a cancelled season can allow Snyder to slowly figure out what to do on the name issue. Maybe find a new partner & sponsors & keep the Redskins name the way it should be.

If we have to rush it, for this season?

Washington Football Club for me.

Sorry. If that happens, that literally will be the last straw for me. We aren't some soccer European soccer team.

39 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Sorry. If that happens, that literally will be the last straw for me. We aren't some soccer European soccer team.

That being said, they may have to do it for a year if they don't get the new name & merchandise done in time. They can play w/ curly W’s on their helmets for a year.

That would be a way to sell a lot of merchandise too bc they may only have that for one year.

Edited by turtle28

35 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That being said, they may have to do it for a year if they don't get the new name & merchandise done in time. They can play w/ curly W’s on their helmets for a year.

That would be a way to sell a lot of merchandise too bc they may only have that for one year.

They really don't. That means they will be changing the name twice. Remember, all equipment, signage, advertising, branding, communications, even yes...contracts would have to be changed. Not once. But twice.

Now, it may seem like a small thing (just omitting a word or replacing a word) and not significant. But it does add up.

Related to small things being more than they appear, I'll give you and example (unrelated I admit but also an example that illustrates a point nonetheless).

At one of the agencies I support, on one of the contracts the govt has asked for a deep dive to go over the application being delivered. Just a small 2-4 hour meeting one day in the next month to provide the chiefs their deep dive (other products are being told they need to do it too). But that wasn't agreed to in the contract at the beginning and is not an official deliverable. To add to that, my team on that contract is heads-down in the next two sprints and I will have to pull them away from one of their days to deliver this. 

Cost? Minimum $150k (up to $400k) to my client to sequester my team's time for that day and produce the slides ahead of time. That's on top of the money that we're already being paid (because you NEVER do a "no cost" mod to a contract). And it also puts us one day behind schedule (which will cost the client more $$ down the road because we are T&E on that contract).

Now, that's not exactly the same, but if you just said "but its just a few hours, why is it so much money?" then you're not seeing the downstream effects of decisions being made.

It's why I think it is very stupid to go with a no name concept. Just keep the name as is and then let everyone know you're changing it. And go through the process (name contests, etc...) to build excitement for it. If people still want to protest? Let them. It's a free country. But don't make things any harder than they need to be in the meantime.

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

because you NEVER do a "no cost" mod to a contract).

Ehhh. I mean, I'm legit doing closeouts right now which are "no cost" mods to the contract. Some our Deobs to, but obviously those have a cost in one way or form.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It is hilarious and for this instance extremely sad the rate at which Americans get things done. Every other country would already have new name merch in every store.

3 minutes ago, Brian23 said:

Ehhh. I mean, I'm legit doing closeouts right now which are "no cost" mods to the contract. Some our Deobs to, but obviously those have a cost in one way or form.

If you're reducing scope and deob, yes. But I should just say that if the client wants me to do extra, it will cost them one way or another.

6 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

It is hilarious and for this instance extremely sad the rate at which Americans get things done. Every other country would already have new name merch in every store.

They only have what? 6 or 7 weeks until the season starts. I guess it's enough time but it's not a lot of time. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

You're not just changing a line of apparel. You're dealing with an organization's identity that has been around for about 50+ years now (even though the org is older). So picking that and knowing that it's not going to change (or picking it so it doesn't have the same problem 50 years from now) takes time. Also, you're dealing with the fact that the organization will then need to socialize the name to its 31 business partners. I'm not sure about league rules on name changes but I think they might have some say so (even if they don't really have an outright veto) given that they are partners in this Multi-Billion $ business. Not to mention you have to do it in a slow enough way to get some of the people, who don't want you to change the name, to hopefully come around to the new name. Changing it in a split second is the surest way to completely lose some fans that might otherwise eventually get there with you.

So...it's a lot to process.

EDIT: Completely forgot they will need to trademark it. So that takes time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

If you're reducing scope and deob, yes. But I should just say that if the client wants me to do extra, it will cost them one way or another.

Oh, yeah. I'm on the Government side so I don't get paid any extra if they throw more work at me. I'm getting a fat slab of close out/deobs that are due by October right now so we're having fun on full telework.

• Like 1