WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah, he said it on JPs podcast today. I do believe that was the direction the team was going and they must’ve got serious blow back or like I said had a tough time getting the trademark back. I’m fine with it. Like I’ve said several times now, my favorite is the Hogs. For me, it gives me the chance to still feel the same about this team and it gives fans the ability to still remember the old days. But that’s me and I understand others don’t like that name. 

Yeah it’s always been a great nickname for the line but it’s way down my list of names I’d want. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Hog names, Red Hogs, Wild Hogs Wart Hogs. Hogs are usually slaughtered .. Not sure I can get behind that moniker. 

I am still in the camp of not needing a silly animal to root for.

But if we do, I don't understand why we can just be the Washington Wolves or Washington Hogs.  I don't understand this need for a prefix like "red".  It is unnecessary and confusing when our colors are not Red but Burgundy.

If we have to root for an animal though, Hogs is logical.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am still in the camp of not needing a silly animal to root for.

But if we do, I don't understand why we can just be the Washington Wolves or Washington Hogs.  I don't understand this need for a prefix like "red".  It is unnecessary and confusing when our colors are not Red but Burgundy.

If we have to root for an animal though, Hogs is logical.

The appeal for me is the ability to keep some of the branding — the stylized “R” logo and especially the HTTR phrase. We’ve lost most of our franchise’s images/icons, etc., as a result of the name change, but if they chose a name that began with an “R,” we could keep some of that in place. It’s really the only way I can think of to hang on to at least some of the stuff unique to the franchise over the last 80 years, because everything else is going out the window with the name change.

While we’re on the topic, I really don’t understand the desire for it to be a name that starts with a “W.” Is it somehow a good thing to have an alliterative name? Just going through my head quickly, I don’t think there could be any more than about 10 major US sports team with alliterative names — and one of them is the local basketball team, whose name everyone hates. Why would we try to force it to be the “Warriors” or “Warthogs” or “Wolves” or “War-anythings” just to get the double W? I just don’t see the value in that. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

The appeal for me is the ability to keep some of the branding — the stylized “R” logo and especially the HTTR phrase. We’ve lost most of our franchise’s images/icons, etc., as a result of the name change, but if they chose a name that began with an “R,” we could keep some of that in place. It’s really the only way I can think of to hang on to at least some of the stuff unique to the franchise over the last 80 years, because everything else is going out the window with the name change.

While we’re on the topic, I really don’t understand the desire for it to be a name that starts with a “W.” Is it somehow a good thing to have an alliterative name? Just going through my head quickly, I don’t think there could be any more than about 10 major US sports team with alliterative names — and one of them is the local basketball team, whose name everyone hates. Why would we try to force it to be the “Warriors” or “Warthogs” or “Wolves” or “War-anythings” just to get the double W? I just don’t see the value in that. 

To me the branding and connection is our colors and focusing in on Red is contradictory to that.  It also means holding on to the past and habit of saying Redskins.  

Interesting point about the double W.  Not sure what I think of that, but I haven't really thought of it until now.  It does kind of create some nice alliteration. 

I could care less about httr.  I would be just as happy changing it to hail to washington.  But and a big but, if I was Snyder, I would refuse to change the name until I knew the stadium site because if the stadium site isn't washington dc, then I wouldn't want the focus to be washington.  But if it is in D.C. then, WFT makes all the more sense.

I am going to be annoyed if we are the Commanders or monuments or all those political/military names which has nothing to do with my love for the team and I think adds political ties which frankly i don't like because I like my football without even a small side order of politics.  In that case, I would rather be a stupid animal.  

WFT works for me :)

Anyone ever mentioned "Legion" like the Romans? They always seemed to wear a shade of burgundy and gold in the old movies. "Hail to the Legion. Hail victory. Heroes on the march, fight! for ol D C. "

One of those short swords they used for infighting could be the logo. Hail Ceasar !

Edited by RSkinGM

33 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Anyone ever mentioned "Legion" like the Romans? They always seemed to wear a shade of burgundy and gold in the old movies. "Hail to the Legion. Hail victory. Heroes on the march, fight! for ol D C. "

One of those short swords they used for infighting could be the logo. Hail Ceasar !

It's honestly one of the better options passed around. 

10 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It's honestly one of the better options passed around. 

I hadn't seen it - Glad to know it's in the hat . I kinda like it . I can see the crowd in those uniforms that looked like skirts and the old Hogs in Togas ! HA!!

Edited by RSkinGM

28 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I hadn't seen it - Glad to know it's in the hat . I kinda like it . I can see the crowd in those uniforms that looked like skirts and the old Hogs in Togas ! HA!!

I don't think it has been. I'm saying YOUR offering of it is one of the better options I've seen.