WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

I could easily get used to redwolves. Not my top choice by any means, but after hearing Cleveland baseball are now Guardians? Redwolves would be embraced by me. LoL

I think Cleveland decided on their name "Guardians", after putting in MLB 21' create a team mode & took the 1st default name available. 😂

As mentioned above, you can do a lot with the name redwolves. Besides the logo being very cool, you can easily have cool nicknames for Offense or Defense. They can howl after every sack, like they do already. LoL

The name could be menacing in many aspects & that's a good thing.

And compared to possibly being the Redtails? And having our ***** red after every loss from a butt whooping? We might as well call ourselves the baboon's from all the red *** remarks we would hear on a daily basis.

Redwolves is CLEARLY better, imo.

4 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I could easily get used to redwolves. Not my top choice by any means, but after hearing Cleveland baseball are now Guardians? Redwolves would be embraced by me. LoL

I think Cleveland decided on their name "Guardians", after putting in MLB 21' create a team mode & took the 1st default name available. 😂

It's actually kinda cool...

https://apnews.com/article/cleveland-guardians-name-change-41849399d222d872eb6f1cae23551c29#:~:text=Cleveland's new name was inspired,connects downtown to Ohio City.

Cleveland’s new name was inspired by the large landmark stone edifices — referred to as traffic guardians — that flank both ends of the Hope Memorial Bridge, which connects downtown to Ohio City.

As the team moved closer to making a final decision on the name, Dolan said he found himself looking closely at the huge art deco sculptures.

“Frankly, I hadn’t studied them that closely until we started talking about them and I should emphasize, we’re not named after the bridge, but there’s no question that it’s a strong nod to those and what they mean to the community,” he said.

800.jpeg 

• Like 2

Redwolves is not a bad name, guys. Sure, it's no Redskins, but it's a better consolation prize over other names. 

I would prefer Generals(personal bias as I played on a team called the Generals), Bravehearts, (coolest name of the bunch, imo)

I'm worried we'll get stuck with, Redtails, Capitals, Commanders, Presidents or some other generic or stupid name.

Yes, I know.

Generals is generic, too. But 1) I have personal bias on that name 2)1st President, George Washington was a General. And we are Washington after all. 

I like Kraken better than Guardians. And 1000x better than Hockey/Baseball/Football/Sports team. 

One thing people are not really taking into account, in my view, is the value of branding/marketing concepts. Like with Seattle, they’ve got the “release the Kraken!” concept that they’ll get a ton of mileage out of, in various ways. What do you do with a generic name like Guardians (or lots of the generic names that keep getting floated for us)? “Come on guys, time to...GUARD someone!” 

That’s the beauty of the Wolves/Redwolves idea, as guys like Fred Smoot and now Jonathan Allen have pointed out. The stadium is the “Den,” everybody is howling on 3rd downs and to celebrate big plays, there’s various ways they could incorporate a “wolf pack” concept, etc. The nickname itself, standing alone, is only half (or less) of the long-term viability — much like many things, it’s more about how you use it. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 1:46 PM, e16bball said:

I just have to reiterate for the record that there already is a team called the Washington Generals...and these are them:

Yep, it’s an awful team. In no way do I want the Generals. I’d much rather have the Sentinals and I’m not even jumping up and down about that. I hope it’s Red Wolves or Wolves.

There are plenty of things on the mind of Washington Football Team President Jason Wright lately as he gets ready to head into another season.  

https://wtop.com/washington-football/2021/07/wft-president-jason-wright-talks-rebrand-richmond-and-stewarding-teams-legacy/

“[Mayor of Richmond] Stoney wants them back as well. He said there was an “adversarial” relationship with the previous administration in Washington, but now with the change, he sees a very real possibility they could be back.

“I’m optimistic — hell I’m bullish on the fact that Washington will continue to be here in the city of Richmond and I’m going to do everything I can to make sure that happens,” Stoney said.

As for what has changed: “People and personnel matter,” he said. “With Jason Wright and Coach Rivera, I’ve seen a night and day change on how they’ve gone about embracing Richmond. We feel the love and we hope they feel the love from the Richmond fans.”

The pressing thing at the moment for Wright is the rebrand with the new name. He wouldn’t say exactly how they were going to reveal the name, but he did say he realizes how important this process is.

“I knew it was a big deal,” he [Wright] said. “But, when I got here and started to listen to our fans, I realized it was an even bigger deal because it’s also decades worth of memories, experiences, emotions, moments of pain, moments of joys and moments of connections with loved ones that have passed. Rights of passage all tied to this name, this logo, this emblem, in the flow of the football season.”

That’s not lost on Wright and his team.

“It’s like a family heirloom, and stewarding a family heirloom from one building to another is a weighty thing,” Wright said. “It’s incredibly important we do the best we can to steward this right.”

A poll on Hogs Haven -Redwolves or Wolves is the OVERwhelming favorite. Probably means it doesn't have chance in Hell ! I feel it'll be something generic to the D C area. Ambassadors, Admirals, Diplomats, Presidents etc etc. 

I've recently seen "GOLD" thrown out there . meh

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 12:29 PM, aceinthehouse said:

Redwolves is not a bad name, guys. Sure, it's no Redskins, but it's a better consolation prize over other names. 

I would prefer Generals(personal bias as I played on a team called the Generals), Bravehearts, (coolest name of the bunch, imo)

I'm worried we'll get stuck with, Redtails, Capitals, Commanders, Presidents or some other generic or stupid name.

Yes, I know.

Generals is generic, too. But 1) I have personal bias on that name 2)1st President, George Washington was a General. And we are Washington after all. 

You know what’s crazy, I know it’s crazy to think about bc we’ve been the Redskins for our entire lifetime & longer but if we were never named the Redskins and were and expansion franchise I’d choose most of these names over Redskins. We’re all attached to Redskins bc that was our team, our history, our name for 89 years but blank slate I’d pick the others over Redskins bc if that name was suggested - say we were a expansion team - My first response would be what the hell is a Redskin?