WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

A poll on Hogs Haven -Redwolves or Wolves is the OVERwhelming favorite. Probably means it doesn't have chance in Hell ! I feel it'll be something generic to the D C area. Ambassadors, Admirals, Diplomats, Presidents etc etc. 

I've recently seen "GOLD" thrown out there . meh

Rumors are flying on the Twitter machine that it’s going to be Commanders. I have no idea if it’s true, people who act like they have inside information but you don’t know who the hell they are - you know the type - keep saying it. Nothing has been officially reported but that’s the rumor going around.

I like Redwolves or Wolves better than Commanders, but I can certainly get used to the Commanders.

But to keep if you’re going to do Commanders, why wouldn’t you go with the higher rank of Admiral? 

Admirals is better than Commanders IMO.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You know what’s crazy, I know it’s crazy to think about bc we’ve been the Redskins for our entire lifetime & longer but if we were never named the Redskins and were and expansion franchise I’d choose most of these names over Redskins. We’re all attached to Redskins bc that was our team, our history, our name for 89 years but blank slate I’d pick the others over Redskins bc if that name was suggested - say we were a expansion team - My first response would be what the hell is a Redskin?

Geez man, didn't you watch the old grainy black and white Westerns on T V ? Ha, where you been pardner ?

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Gonna drag this whole thing out for it to just be WFT or Club. 

I'll take that over Presidents or Ambassadors . Presidents-guess we'd have the Presential Seal on the helmet and the band or whatver we have will play "Hail to the Chief" as the team comes out for the game . UGH !

Edited by RSkinGM

42 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

It is ridiculous on how they’re dragging this out. Should of had a name for this year. Team finally trending in the right direction and I believe that the new name would have given the fans something more to grab a hold of going forward. 

It's right on track. The Cleveland Guardians took 2 years to get to that new name as well. They were removing Chief Wahoo and had been slowly planning out the new name. Yes, it was only "announced" 7 months ago, but the whole thing had been in the works until it ramped up. The difference? A planned out process, compared to a sudden "Oh #$%^" like in Washington. Again, this should not surprise anyone it is taking this long. 

To post the link again: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29433710/renaming-redskins-process-hurdles-possible-fallout

Still, as Marc Ganis, president and founder of consulting firm Sportscorp, pointed out: It can take some teams two years to make a change. But those teams often have the luxury of time. Washington might end up doing it hastily because of more intense pressure than ever to ditch a name viewed as derogatory.

The league has never gone through anything quite like this, where a franchise decides to change its name after 87 years. That's why one league source said last week that there's no timetable, because this is a unique situation. The last team to change its name was the Tennessee Oilers in 1998 -- but that stemmed from the franchise having moved from Houston.

When the Bullets announced they were changing their name, the process took two years to complete. And the process involves more than just renaming a team. Williams, who now is a senior strategist and vice president of media relations for Maroon PR, said there's also time and energy devoted to logos and color schemes, the stationery and even business cards.

"There are so many tentacles to where a sports franchise's name exists," Williams said. "It's quite an undertaking. ... It's a lot more of an involved process than certainly the general public thinks. They think you can paint a new logo on the field and it's done. You could do it that way, but it's not the preferred way and there will be hiccups."

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Gonna drag this whole thing out for it to just be WFT or Club. 

Works for me lol