2021 NFL Draft Prospects

3 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Completely agree with this take, but wanted to point out two things. One, Miles Boykin has essentially the exact same measurables as Metcalf and was arguably the better receiver in terms of collegiate production. Alas, the one thing you can't measure is a player's mentality and one of the primary reasons DK has been as successful as he has been is his mentality; the dude is a DOG! Unfortunately, we can't say the same about Boykin.

Secondly, putting aside their respective approaches to the game, we see how horribly Boykin has been both coached up and utilized in our offense. Can't imagine how underutilized Metcalf would be here.

Hence why I think we're all now clamoring for a top tier talent in FA, i.e. someone who hasn't been damaged by the deficiencies of our coaching and is able to overcome limitations of our scheme on talent alone.

Megatron isn't walking through that door.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

does anybody expect EDC to stay put and pick at #27?

cannot see him not drop back to the 2nd round to get that 3rd round pick back.

Hopefully, he will trade back only if the value at #27 isn't there. I'm tired of us hoarding picks. Get the playmaker, stop playing, and go win a championship.

Also Alim McNeil, yes.

7 hours ago, berlin calling said:

If there’s a QB on the board that someone wants, probably a guaranteed trade back.

Outside of that we might seek a 2nd round trade down if we miss out in the 1st.

I think it depends on the board and what needs we address in UFA. I like quite a few players likely to be at the end of round 1. I personally trade back 10/10x but if no team wants to deal, nothing we can do.

6 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Hopefully, he will trade back only if the value at #27 isn't there. I'm tired of us hoarding picks. Get the playmaker, stop playing, and go win a championship.

Also Alim McNeil, yes.

Taking in this in the opposite direction, but I actually think there's a better average chance that our 1st rounder is traded for a prime/star player this year. Hard to say for sure but EDC's presser next week should be instructive in terms of getting a feel for how aggressive he wants to be this offseason. 

But it feels to me like we if acquiring a #1 receiver is a big priority for the team this offseason (which is itself an open question), and the team wants someone who is ready to contribute right away as opposed to having to develop (knowing our less than stellar history on that front), then the trade market will likely be the only avenue available to us if we strike out on Allen Robinson. 

It could turn out they simply don't really have an interest in getting Lamar that caliber of receiver but I'm sure EDC has asked himself a couple of times this year whether he would have rather have had Stefon Diggs on this team instead of Patrick Queen. And with that in mind there are going to be players he has to ask the same question about in regards to the 27th pick, if a guy like Michael Thomas, DJ Moore, Kenny Golladay, or Chris Godwin could be available on the trade market (the last 2 in the event they're franchise tagged). Just something to consider, but it feels sort of self-evident to me that if FA's are hesitant to sign with us because of our offense is built around the run and we don't trust ourselves to develop WR's, the only way to get that infusion of talent is via trade and parting with premium assets. 

We don't necessarily have to part with our 1st rounder to make that happen (for example given his age idk that we'd offer that for Julio Jones) but it's certainly something that could impact our planning in terms of the draft. And then of course on the other side there's the possibility we have an extra 1st to work with if we shop Zeus Jr. this offseason. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

9 hours ago, berlin calling said:

Absolutely not, unless some stud falls to us at the pick. We currently only have a 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 (With one more projected 6th round compensatory pick). EDC is going to look to move around the board. Should be a fun couple of days. A lot of OL prospects this year land in that round 2 spot as well. 

3 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Taking in this in the opposite direction, but I actually think there's a better average chance that our 1st rounder is traded for a prime/star player this year. Hard to say for sure but EDC's presser next week should be instructive in terms of getting a feel for how aggressive he wants to be this offseason. 

But it feels to me like we if acquiring a #1 receiver is a big priority for the team this offseason (which is itself an open question), and the team wants someone who is ready to contribute right away as opposed to having to develop (knowing our less than stellar history on that front), then the trade market will likely be the only avenue available to us if we strike out on Allen Robinson. 

It could turn out they simply don't really have an interest in getting Lamar that caliber of receiver but I'm sure EDC has asked himself a couple of times this year whether he would have rather have had Stefon Diggs on this team instead of Patrick Queen. And with that in mind there are going to be players he has to ask the same question about in regards to the 27th pick, if a guy like Michael Thomas, DJ Moore, Kenny Golladay, or Chris Godwin could be available on the trade market (the last 2 in the event they're franchise tagged). Just something to consider, but it feels sort of self-evident to me that if FA's are hesitant to sign with us because of our offense is built around the run and we don't trust ourselves to develop WR's, the only way to get that infusion of talent is via trade and parting with premium assets. 

We don't necessarily have to part with our 1st rounder to make that happen (for example given his age idk that we'd offer that for Julio Jones) but it's certainly something that could impact our planning in terms of the draft. And then of course on the other side there's the possibility we have an extra 1st to work with if we shop Zeus Jr. this offseason. 

If we're getting a top 5-7 WR, I won't mind if we trade the 1st rounder. I'd even take Julio, but the Falcons would only get a calm 4th or a comp 3rd. He's owed too much money, injury prone AND older. So I'm not giving up anything of major importance even for Julio. I'm also in favor of trading Zeus Jr. because I believe he's priced himself out of Baltimore, and he wants to play LT. So if we can get a Tunsil type haul, I'm all for it. But Ravens biggest needs are as followed...

• Center
  • Right Guard
  • Pass Rusher
  • Wide Receiver 

WR was higher at one point for me, but that atrocious play that ended our season on the right side of the line (Outside of Roman not running in the redzone) was disgusting to watch.

No way would I trade Brown Jr and create an even bigger mess on the right side. We already had trash at RT, let alone if an injury occurs, we’d be beyond trash.

The cap is fluid enough where we could sign back the guys we need and just trade them if we have no other recourse in a future year. Such as what Atlanta might do with Julio this offseason.

Speaking of WRs, I’m only interested in the WR if they’re bulletproof. While our front office has had draft busts at the WR position, FA WR busts still exist. So Chris Godwin and Kenny Golladay aren’t guys I’m looking to trade a 1st round for. They’ve both been in more relaxed situations. Godwin has had Brady/Winston 5k throwing him the football and lined up opposite of Evans. Golladay is opposite Jones Jr and has a top 12-14 QB in a 4500 type passing attack. More important IMO is playoff showings and leadership ability on the offensive side.. and Golladay has zero playoff showings and Godwin hasn’t looked good in his first playoffs. To trade capital to acquire those guys would only be further problematic if they bust outright (doubtful) or simply fall quite short of our expectations as a true #1 WR in our offense.
——

Julio Jones and Allen Robinson are the two bulletproof options IMO, however that’s really only Robinson due to Julio Jones age. It’s possible that Julio continues to ball out for the next 3 seasons on his deal, but it’s equally likely that similar to Andre Johnson (similar WR historically), he breaks down considerably around this age. If we’re lucky he’s probably only got 1 more elite season left. I would however love his leadership though. If we could trade only a 2nd round pick for him, perhaps with an additional 2nd round conditional pick if he makes the Pro Bowl in 2022 off the 1st ballot. If not then maybe either a 3rd or 4th.

In terms of Julio, from a cost standpoint, if he can provide elite play, he’d actually be the more cost effective option. Atlanta already paid him his signing and option bonus for his deal and that will be dead cap for them to have to deal with. For us, we would only be responsible for his base salaries which are:
2021: $15.3m
2022: $11.3m
2023: $11.5m

Considering signing Allen Robinson as a FA would place his APY at roughly $19-20m based on the current market rate, we’d be paying much more to bring him in. Most of the other legit WRs would likely cost at least $15m as well. So if Jones could perform all three seasons at a high level, he’d make for a great veteran locker room leader for our young WRs and he’d be a great value signing.

@DreamKid

Your boy Ojulari. Definitely a nice long arm technique. I was watching some of his film from the Alabama game prior to this, I agree, he’s not ready to play NFL ball from the jump against the run game, but looks like a very nice pass rusher option.

Would probably best be utilized similar to how Terrell Suggs was utilized in his rookie season. Was embarrassing how it was getting moved around by the Bama TE in run defense, though he also had some strong run defense plays as well, was weird.

So maybe it’s just a recognition thing, when he knows the run is coming he’s good and when he’s unsure he’s abused? Not sure. I will need to continue watching more from him as we go along.

• Like 1

Edit: Ossai is #46 for Texas. They don’t put it out in this highlight vid, so you have to stop and notice yourself. Annoying, but far less annoying than watching an entire game. 😂

My personal Edge#1 in this class, Joseph Ossai.

Here he’s going to up against PFF’s #27 ranked prospect, RT, Teven Jenkins.

Was a very good battle all game long. Jenkins probably pancaked Ossai on maybe like 3-4 different occasions, very long arms, that entire OkSt OL is very grabby though, multiple holding type plays over the course of the game, but it didn’t seem to get called and the NFL hasn’t really been calling holding much either. Jenkins certainly has some Ryan Jensen to him though, will block to the absolute ending of the whistle and is somewhat borderline. Some will really love that about him. I neither love it nor hate it. I like hustle (why I love Ossai) but some of it kind of goes past the play and that’s the kind of stuff I’m not particularly a fan of, but I think this is one of those “as long as he’s on your team...” kind of scenarios.

Jenkins seemed to win early, but Ossai still got buckets early and just got better as the game went along. His closing speed is absolutely phenomenal. Not as dominant a pass rusher as Ojulari above, doesn’t have the same incredibly long arms, but IMO he’s a superior run stopper, more consistent reps. Also while Jenkins dominated the matchup early, Ossai finally figured out his route to the win, beat him on a few speed rushes as the game went along and actually closed out the game with a speed rush where he completely blew past Jenkins for the sack on 4th down.

Terrific matchup between NFL caliber talents. Jenkins would have to convert to OG here however his RT versatility can’t be questioned. I think he’d excel in both roles.

If Ossai falls to our 28th selection, he’d be one of the few guys I’d consider taking over an OL. I think there’s some Von Miller type upside there with Ossai if he can continue to develop.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

So maybe it’s just a recognition thing, when he knows the run is coming he’s good and when he’s unsure he’s abused? Not sure. I will need to continue watching more from him as we go along.

His rush style reminded me of Yanny's. So similar deficiencies or weaknesses(like being more vulnerable against the run) wouldn't be shocking. I think he has a better athletic ceiling than Ngakoue though and should test better. 

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Would probably best be utilized similar to how Terrell Suggs was utilized in his rookie season. Was embarrassing how it was getting moved around by the Bama TE in run defense, though he also had some strong run defense plays as well, was weird.

This is where a guy like McPhee is super valuable. Let him handle early downs in the rotation. Probably more than a few EDGE prospects in the class that could use similar treatment. Patrick Jones from Pitt reminded me a bit of a longer Tim Williams, and is definitely a player that would be another long & late down kind of guy early in his career.

Does seem like our coaches favor power rushers and bigger physical profiles at the position though. It took a guy like Bowser forever to see significant snaps, but they let a Jaylon Ferguson flounder out there almost immediately. So in terms of "Predict the Pick/Prospect", I am going to bet on us pursuing those sturdier options. Especially if we retain Ngakoue and/or Bowser.

Should be interesting. Madubuike already looks like the highest upside DI we've had since maybe Ngata and Calais is obviously still very dangerous. Best shot at an effective 4 man rush in a while. We can't afford to miss in both FA and the draft with our EDGE group and another young DI option to pair with MurderBuike.

• Like 1

Yeah I’m kind of out on Toney. I like him but the bust potential is too high IMO. He basically all but flat out came out and stated that he wasn’t focused on football until this past offseason when he decided that was a better path to millions than rapping.

I think this team is in too much need of an impact talent on the offensive side of the ball to be leaving it up to a guy who hasn’t proven he’s in love with the game. Maybe Andy Reid/Mahomes could turn him into a star, but here, I’m not confident going a couple games with 2-3 catches won’t make him think twice about going back to the turn tables.

At this point, it’s looking like FA/traded WR or bust. Well Tylan Wallace in the 2nd round (or if he somehow fell to the 3rd round that would be awesome) would probably be my favorite of the options remaining. The other guys just seem to have too much bust potential for one reason or another IMO.

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

His rush style reminded me of Yanny's. So similar deficiencies or weaknesses(like being more vulnerable against the run) wouldn't be shocking. I think he has a better athletic ceiling than Ngakoue though and should test better. 

This is where a guy like McPhee is super valuable. Let him handle early downs in the rotation. Probably more than a few EDGE prospects in the class that could use similar treatment. Patrick Jones from Pitt reminded me a bit of a longer Tim Williams, and is definitely a player that would be another long & late down kind of guy early in his career.

Does seem like our coaches favor power rushers and bigger physical profiles at the position though. It took a guy like Bowser forever to see significant snaps, but they let a Jaylon Ferguson flounder out there almost immediately. So in terms of "Predict the Pick/Prospect", I am going to bet on us pursuing those sturdier options. Especially if we retain Ngakoue and/or Bowser.

Should be interesting. Madubuike already looks like the highest upside DI we've had since maybe Ngata and Calais is obviously still very dangerous. Best shot at an effective 4 man rush in a while. We can't afford to miss in both FA and the draft with our EDGE group and another young DI option to pair with MurderBuike.

Yeah, it’s funny you mentioned Yannick. I thought the same. Definitely better upside though, like you said. He probably has the best upside of any edge in this class as he’s got traits you can’t teach and his athleticism while not elite, still looks top shelf.

Either he or Ossai are the two rushers I’d be happy/content with if we went non-offense in round 1. Good point on Jones as well. Both Jones and Ojulari probably have similar traits/athleticism, though I definitely think Ojulari has a far more consistent move set in pass rushing. If Jones is there in the second he’d be a good fit though as well in the type of role you suggest. He has great upside if he can be developed. Him and Oweh from Penn State, who is also long and an athletic freak.

But yeah being able to generate a 4 man rush will be crucial with all these elite AFC QBs on the horizon.