2021 NFL Draft Prospects

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Great profile on Brevin Jordan, holy smokes. Probably goes higher than where we'd like to pick our lauded TE3/4 at(though with our FO you never know), but he's super young, athletic, versatile, and productive. Could step right into Hayden Hurst's old role, for those who believe that role was integral to our 2019 success.  

Yup. Only 20 years old, one of my early likes. He was my third TE if we couldn’t come away with Pitts or Freiermuth. Though, I cooled off some on him for the fact that I’m higher on guys like (speaking of him above) Ar’Darius Washington, Rashad Weaver, Darius Stills, and potentially a few others that will all likely go within a similar range as Jordan.

You can now add Dyami Brown as someone I would have over him along with (still) Tylan Wallace. Let alone potentially a highly talented OL that falls further than expected like a Walker Little or Jackson Carmen; two talents that might also be available within that range.

Should make for an intriguing end to the 2nd day, I’m sure we’ll look to accumulate a couple selections within the 3rd round, that’s for sure.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Should make for an intriguing end to the 2nd day, I’m sure we’ll look to accumulate a couple selections within the 3rd round, that’s for sure.

Yea this would've been a good draft to have our typical arsenal of 3rd & 4th Round picks.

Center is a must, Tackle is an immediate need if OBJ goes, WR is obviously an issue, could be left with the cupboards bare at EDGE, then the team would like another high end option at Safety, Guard, and Tight End. Plus beyond starting caliber options we need general depth at certain spots. This isn't an easy draft for us. It's probably up there with the most important ones EDC will have been a part of, and this time he's at the helm.

Very similar to our situation 10 years ago, going into the 2011 draft. Flacco was going into year 4, just as Lamar is now, and we needed impact players at key spots to get over the hump and finally transmute simple playoff births into true title contention. Jimmy Smith, Torrey Smith, and Pernell McPhee from that 2011 class all became key contributors during our SB run two years later.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Yea this would've been a good draft to have our typical arsenal of 3rd & 4th Round picks.

Center is a must, Tackle is an immediate need if OBJ goes, WR is obviously an issue, could be left with the cupboards bare at EDGE, then the team would like another high end option at Safety, Guard, and Tight End. Plus beyond starting caliber options we need general depth at certain spots. This isn't an easy draft for us. It's probably up there with the most important ones EDC will have been a part of, and this time he's at the helm.

Very similar to our situation 10 years ago, going into the 2011 draft. Flacco was going into year 4, just as Lamar is now, and we needed impact players at key spots to get over the hump and finally transmute simple playoff births into true title contention. Jimmy Smith, Torrey Smith, and Pernell McPhee from that 2011 class all became key contributors during our SB run two years later.

This is why I'm going to be predicting "trade down" in our forum game we do every year.

Really feels like a year we trade down into the middle of the 2nd and end up with a 9ish man draft class.

Guess this depends if OBJ is traded too and what he would bring back...honestly think EDC would prefer multiple picks...even if they're lower...to a "high"ish first rounder

Definitely wouldn't be a surprise to see us trade down.

I will say though that if we do go that route and try to replenish in the mid-rounds at the expense of moving down in the 1st and/or 2nd, I'd like to see us step it up a bit in terms of how we're scouting/drafting in those mid to late rounds. Obviously it's still early to definitively judge the 2019/20 drafts - especially for the developmental picks - but it's also the only thing we have to judge on in terms of the drafts EDC has been in charge of, and so far basically every pick in rounds 4-7 other than Ben Powers is looking like a throwaway, and when we extend to Round 3 only Madibuike is looking like a definite hit so far, though Duvernay and Harrison at least show promise. 

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

This is why I'm going to be predicting "trade down" in our forum game we do every year.

Really feels like a year we trade down into the middle of the 2nd and end up with a 9ish man draft class.

Guess this depends if OBJ is traded too and what he would bring back...honestly think EDC would prefer multiple picks...even if they're lower...to a "high"ish first rounder

I don’t know. While EDC likes picks and a lot of chances, he’s also shown that he’s willing to be aggressive in FA and also aggressive with Lamar. The problem with Lamar was that it left our 2019 draft in a situation where we felt we needed to trade down to accumulate additional picks... and he didn’t like that it left our future draft in such a position where we couldn’t move around the board.

But given a scenario where he can get equal value, I don’t know if we can rule out a preference for the higher picks.

The obvious scenario is Chargers vs Jags (as discussed elsewhere) and while I can’t claim to know what EDC is thinking, I’d imagine he could feel as though given the Chargers offer he could still accumulate similar assets in a trade down scenario if forced to trade out of the #13 spot OR pick up an elite caliber talent that falls.

Especially considering our original pick would provide an opportunity to trade down and accumulate additional assets.

Having two late 1sts and two mid-late 2nds gives us less flexibility IMO than having a early to mid 1st, a late 1st, and a late 2nd. For instance if five QBs go within the 1st 12 picks, which is possible, that could leave elite talent left on the board at 13 or fall within range for a simple trade up.

For example a team like the Cowboys at pick #11, if they miss out on Penei Sewell (likely) then they’ll be in a position where they’re choosing between a lot of LTs on a similar level or either Farley, Horn, or Surtain. Well what if they grade all of them on a similar level and two of them are on the board at 10, would they not take our conditional 3rd pick to move down 3 spots and still likely end up with the player they wanted at 10? I think they would.

Conversely, if DeVonta Smith or Kyle Pitts falls to the 10th spot, considering their fit within our offense and their grade as elite prospects, would EDC be willing to toss away a conditional 3rd to add an elite talent to our offense... knowing full well that he can pick a 3rd back up via a trade down of our late 1st?

Whereas a trade up scenario is far more difficult. Even if we offered the 25th, 45th, and conditional 3rd there’s no guarantee any team within the top 10 would take that package as they might feel the value of getting “their guy” exceeds the value of getting a lot of shots at guys they like.

For an aggressive style like EDC, I think he’s more likely to take the higher pick. Ozzie though... I think he might’ve preferred the additional picks. But obviously all of this is just conjecture either way. Just some Devil’s advocate here.

@diamondbull424 Do you think we could be interested in DI Christian Barmore?

High end interior rusher, dominated throughout the CFP, and obviously he's Bama. 

I've seen 21 Y/O floating around but I don't trust the source. If he is younger he's definitely an intriguing option, and what I've seen of his cuts up was impressive.

@CalhounLambeau Do you have an official DOB on Barmore?

Just now, drd23 said:

His database would suggest not - only has a day and month listed, no year

I saw that. Figured he could have it lying around pre database update or something though 😅.

Sometimes these DOBs can take awhile. We were waiting on Taven Bryan for a good stretch a couple years back.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

@diamondbull424 Do you think we could be interested in DI Christian Barmore?

High end interior rusher, dominated throughout the CFP, and obviously he's Bama. 

I've seen 21 Y/O floating around but I don't trust the source. If he is younger he's definitely an intriguing option, and what I've seen of his cuts up was impressive.

@CalhounLambeau Do you have an official DOB on Barmore?

I wouldn’t rule him out as a clear BPA candidate considering his talent, but from a needs standpoint, while I’d love his addition, assuming we bring back Wolfe, I think the team would be more likely to trade back to a team looking to grab Barmore as their foundational piece.

Considering our needs along the OL and the concussion Lamar faced to close out our regular season, Barmore would likely have to both be clear cut BPA (like he falls to the 2nd round type BPA) AND no other team is looking to trade up to secure him. That’d probably be the only unique scenario where I could see us going with Barmore.

That said, considering the Ravens typically dislike going into the draft with gaping holes that force them to make ‘need’ selections vs going with the resounding BPA on the board, in the likely event that we pursue OL needs via free agency (especially with the cap casualty veterans that come on a bargain), I think Barmore could be someone we could have interest in as a long term replacement for Campbell.

I haven’t personally scouted Barmore, just watched the games and kept hearing his name called in the playoffs for impact plays. But judging from that, I could certainly see him as a potential top 25 type selection.

6 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I wouldn’t rule him out as a clear BPA candidate considering his talent, but from a needs standpoint, while I’d love his addition, assuming we bring back Wolfe, I think the team would be more likely to trade back to a team looking to grab Barmore as their foundational piece.

Considering our needs along the OL and the concussion Lamar faced to close out our regular season, Barmore would likely have to both be clear cut BPA (like he falls to the 2nd round type BPA) AND no other team is looking to trade up to secure him. That’d probably be the only unique scenario where I could see us going with Barmore.

This is where I'm at. The FO would have to evaluate the prospect as an extreme BPA to get us to deviate from OL or WR. 

Similar to JK Dobbins last year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Is Barmore actually that good or is he being pushed up because there aren't any great DT prospects like their have been in recent years (Brown/Kinlaw, Q Williams, Oliver etc)

From what I can tell it's some of both. He has legitimate pass rush ability from the interior(good against the run too), which the advanced analytics & tape back up, and it's not a strong class for DIs.

In mocks it seems like he'll either go to the Raiders at 17 or drop to Late 1st/Early 2nd Territory. 

I really don't know what to make of DI stock anymore. I'm still shell shocked that Madubuike went where he did and we still haven't received an explanation on that drop either. Dude tested as a super athlete, had stellar and consistent SEC production, and great tape specifically against other NFL caliber lineman. I mean I'm incredibly thankful we got him but I was looking at him as a possible 1st or Early 2nd Trade down option for us last year. It's just a head scratcher. 🤷‍♂️

Age will be big for Barmore. If he really did just turn 21 in December, he'll look very appealing to teams looking to grab that next interior monster.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

Is Barmore actually that good or is he being pushed up because there aren't any great DT prospects like their have been in recent years (Brown/Kinlaw, Q Williams, Oliver etc)

I haven’t scouted him, but from watching the games and from what I remember watching of Kinlaw as well as of Kinlaw’s senior bowl performance, I would take Barmore above Kinlaw as prospects. I don’t have specifics outside of the fact that he seemed unblockable in the college football playoffs, 1v1 or with double teams. He was highly impressive.

I’ve also heard many in the know compare Barmore to Quennin Williams and felt his season this year was actually a slight disappointment by that standard, until he erupted in the playoffs.

He’s taller (6’5”) than Williams (6’3”) though and so could probably make for a superior fit as a 5-tech option to compliment Madubuike. I don’t believe you were around for the 2006 Ravens defense, but what I’ve seen from Barmore in the playoffs reminded me of 2006 Trevor Pryce where he was an absolute animal against the run and pass spearheaded the destruction within that front 7.

Not sure why Barmore got off to such a slow start this year, but in terms of if he’s legit.. I think there’s definitely enough evidence to suggest that he is and could possibly be somewhat underrated to this point due to the other premier talents at the top of this board. Stacked OL class, stacked WR class, stacked QB class, stacked CB class, quality safety depth, etc. So I think with front 7 pieces being a bit weaker than normal, there isn’t as much hype for the positions and Barmore might actually be one of the ones suffering from that lack of hype train. I can’t say I’ve ever been more impressed with Kinlaw or Brown than I was with Barmore in those playoffs. Yet his stock seems to be more of a top 25 guy than a slam dunk top 10 kind of guy like you’d normally find from a player of his skillset with that type of positional value. Sucks that of all the years for us to be stacked along the interior while needing elite IOL assistance in a big way, it would be the year where we might’ve been able to find a Fletcher Cox type of talent at a very reasonable draft position.

Oh well, hopefully I can drown away my sorrows with us selecting DeVonta Smith or Kyle Pitts.

38 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Sucks that of all the years for us to be stacked along the interior while needing elite IOL assistance in a big way, it would be the year where we might’ve been able to find a Fletcher Cox type of talent at a very reasonable draft position.

We did just get Justin Madubuike in the 3rd, so we're not exactly in a position to curse the football gods 😂.

Madubuike really helped exercise some of the Jeffrey Simmons demons for me. Pretty rough to have essentially your favorite prospect from a Rookie class not only go to a rival, but also play a key role in knocking you out of the playoffs and disrespect a team legend(He spit on Marshal Yanda) in the process. To flip the scenario and have one of my favorites from the 2020 class then come in and play a key role in sending the scumbags packing was pretty awesome.

We had a bad streak going there DB of hyping up our favorites(Derwin James 2018 & Jeffrey Simmons 2019) only to have them play major parts in our playoff exits. Glad to have that one broken for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

We did just get Justin Madubuike in the 3rd, so we're not exactly in a position to curse the football gods 😂.

Madubuike really helped exercise some of the Jeffrey Simmons demons for me. Pretty rough to have essentially your favorite prospect from a Rookie class not only go to a rival, but also play a key role in knocking you out of the playoffs and disrespect a team legend(He spit on Marshal Yanda) in the process. To flip the scenario and have one of my favorites from the 2020 class then come in and play a key role in sending the scumbags packing was pretty awesome.

We had a bad streak going there DB of hyping up our favorites(Derwin James 2018 & Jeffrey Simmons 2019) only to have them play major parts in our playoff exits. Glad to have that one broken for sure.

So I wonder if the pattern allots for a premium safety contributor to fall to us in the 3rd round. Richie Grant or Ar’Darius Washington perhaps. Would certainly be quite lovely.

• Like 1