2021 NFL Draft Prospects

On 2/26/2021 at 3:20 PM, M.10.E said:

I cannot WAIT until we pick a DB in round 1 and this place catches on fire. You just know it's going to happen.

Cant say I’d be one of them. Safety was personally my #1 biggest need on this squad until Lamar ended the playoffs concussed.

I also think with Marcus Peters with only one year left on his deal, Jimmy Smith seemingly only playing for another ring at this point (what it feels like anyway), and Tavon Young being on IR so much he could probably double as a personal trainer... we could certainly use another corner.

I’ve long been considering the possibility of corner in the 1st round from the perspective that it very well might be the easy BPA option. For example, in the event that we end up with pick 1.13 there’s a strong possibility that all the top targets are off the board and the front office could have blue chip prospects like Micah Parsons and/or Patrick Surtain Jr available to us.

While we could always trade down, we could be passing up on legitimate elite caliber prospects that consistently jump off the charts when watching tape, guys that look like the next Darius Leonard (Parsons) and Richard Sherman (Surtain Jr). The fact that we’re likely a year away from the need anyway would make it a difficult choice. Trade down and give Lamar weapons of the non-elite variety OR strike while the irons hot (so to speak).

The same quandary could exist in the second round. Provide Lamar weapons with an elite center option like Creed Humphrey OR add what might be a fringe top ball hawk prospect in Grant or Moehrig?

That issue is only exacerbated if/when we trade Brown Jr. As the OL becomes even more pertinent a need to address. 

23 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Won't catch me on fire 🤣.

I always favor defense and I have to stop myself from fixating on CBs & Safeties every draft. Hell, I'd legit be happy if we traded for Marshon Lattimore on top of what we already have at the CB position. 

It's not like we don't need help at Safety either. 🤷‍♂️

This is me with the RB position. I know it’s become one of the least valuable positions in football, but man I can’t help watching RBs tear it up. Probably why I could so quickly pivot from Denzel Mims to JK Dobbins last draft season.

I haven’t paid attention to Lattimore though, wasn’t he not operating on the same level the last few years or something?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Rashod Bateman much like Justin Jefferson last year is ensuring he doesn't make it to our pick by notching superb testing numbers.

Will be interesting to see how the NFL evaluates these results. Isn’t EXOS the company that represents these players? Would stand to reason that they might seek to inflate their client results some with Patriots franchise level tactics to inflate their profits.

Though maybe I’m either/both ill-informed or too cynical in this regard. I suppose 4.37 hand timed still validates that he’s got legit 4.4 speed, in which case that’s definitely a box he checks off for himself.

Will be interesting to see what his contemporaries at the event come in at. Whether they’re also testing equally fast or what have you.

Terrace Marshall is someone I’m intrigued to see stats from. He’s such an enigma to me. I don’t know if I love or hate him... and maybe him clocking a 4.3 also would make me a little more likely to choose ‘love’.

20 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Cant say I’d be one of them. Safety was personally my #1 biggest need on this squad until Lamar ended the playoffs concussed.

I also think with Marcus Peters with only one year left on his deal, Jimmy Smith seemingly only playing for another ring at this point (what it feels like anyway), and Tavon Young being on IR so much he could probably double as a personal trainer... we could certainly use another corner.

I’ve long been considering the possibility of corner in the 1st round from the perspective that it very well might be the easy BPA option. For example, in the event that we end up with pick 1.13 there’s a strong possibility that all the top targets are off the board and the front office could have blue chip prospects like Micah Parsons and/or Patrick Surtain Jr available to us.

While we could always trade down, we could be passing up on legitimate elite caliber prospects that consistently jump off the charts when watching tape, guys that look like the next Darius Leonard (Parsons) and Richard Sherman (Surtain Jr). The fact that we’re likely a year away from the need anyway would make it a difficult choice. Trade down and give Lamar weapons of the non-elite variety OR strike while the irons hot (so to speak).

The same quandary could exist in the second round. Provide Lamar weapons with an elite center option like Creed Humphrey OR add what might be a fringe top ball hawk prospect in Grant or Moehrig?

That issue is only exacerbated if/when we trade Brown Jr. As the OL becomes even more pertinent a need to address. 

This is me with the RB position. I know it’s become one of the least valuable positions in football, but man I can’t help watching RBs tear it up. Probably why I could so quickly pivot from Denzel Mims to JK Dobbins last draft season.

I haven’t paid attention to Lattimore though, wasn’t he not operating on the same level the last few years or something?

Peters has two years left on his current contract. 

I wouldn't be entirely upset with drafting a defensive back, but at the same time allocation of resources is a real thing. For a good team the Ravens have a lot of holes at fairly important areas. Something is going to get passed over... not sure what I want that to be right now. For what it's worth offensive line is still the apple of my eye. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Peters has two years left on his current contract. 

I wouldn't be entirely upset with drafting a defensive back, but at the same time allocation of resources is a real thing. For a good team the Ravens have a lot of holes at fairly important areas. Something is going to get passed over... not sure what I want that to be right now. For what it's worth offensive line is still the apple of my eye. 

Yup, you’re right. Misremembered that clearly. Makes that decision a little easier then.

Still, Surtain flashes heavily on tape when I see him. Would be difficult to pass him up.

But I agree, I think it’s a situation where trading down and maximizing value would make the most sense.

But in the event that we were left standing with no one willing to give us an appropriate deal, I’d be down for taking the player we don’t need. It would certainly be a similar situation to the Derwin James vs the field quandary we were in back in 2018. Take the All Pro difference maker... or add a number of premium talents that could also make a difference. Would’ve saved us from the embarrassing Earl Thomas gamble that’s for sure.

Speaking of falling BPA DBs. How did Ed Reed ever  make it to Pick#24 in the 2002 NFL Draft?....

17 INTs and 41 Passes Defended in his final two years. Was obviously a team leader and showcased his insane return ability off defensive TOs during college play too.

I guess the passing era hadn't fully kicked off yet, his testing numbers weren't next level, and the positional value of Safety wasn't the same as it is now. Still though, Roy Williams went 8th overall with pretty bad testing numbers himself(Kyle Boller beat his Vert by 5 inches...).

Just really weird when you look back on it.

• Like 1

Only positions on defense that I'd be mad we spent a 1st rounder on this year would be corner, inside linebacker, or nose tackle. At safety/DL though I think it's gotta be more about the value if we go that direction - ie. if a top tier stud drops to us - rather than really looking for it/reaching though. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1

Tylan Wallace WR Oklahoma State: ran a 4.39.

Jonathan Adams WR Arkansas State: Jr. ran a 4.48 40, jumped very well with a 41.5” Vert and 10’6 broad. He also had a 4.13 shuttle as a 6’3 218 pound WR.

Rasod Bateman WR Minnesota: with the 4.39 40 time.  

Eric Stokes CB Georgia: 4.28 40, 41.5" vertical, 131 broad jump.

Kary Vincent Jr DB LSU:  4.38 40.

Definitely have to question these 40s at this point. Both Bateman and Wallace look like high 4.4/low 4.5 type guys.

Have to think considering the other fast times, Bateman’s “stock” likely doesn’t move much if at all due to that combine performance. Probably stays the same FTMP. Too many outlier times. 

• Like 3