2021 NFL Draft Prospects

From 10 years ago-

Link doesn't even go to the right article anymore, but searching "met with the Ravens" on Twitter definitely brought up some interesting names.

Let's hope for another Jimmy caliber pick in 2021.

• Like 1

It used to be a good way of telling who we were interested in (and I used it when making guesses for our yearly draft prediction games), but I don't think it matters as much any more

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

From 10 years ago-

Link doesn't even go to the right article anymore, but searching "met with the Ravens" on Twitter definitely brought up some interesting names.

Let's hope for another Jimmy caliber pick in 2021.

My favorite draft pick of all-time when it happened. Was in freshman year of college and I LOVED Jimmy at Colorado. Was sure the eagles were taking him but they passed on him for some 27 year old firefighter LG haha. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

My favorite draft pick of all-time when it happened. Was in freshman year of college and I LOVED Jimmy at Colorado. Was sure the eagles were taking him but they passed on him for some 27 year old firefighter LG haha. 

Danny Watkins, he was a classic Senior Bowl riser. IIRC the guy ended up being mentally weak and just wholly uninterested in football. I think there were reports about Vets asking the coaches to go easy on him because he was breaking down and couldn't function.

Although, I believe he's still a fireman so it's probably unfair of me to label him mentally weak. That job certainly requires a specialized fortitude most football players couldn't dream of. I guess it's better to say he just wasn't suited for or invested in the game of football. Which is one of the first things a scouting department wants to vet out when sorting prospects. Somehow the Eagles missed that though, and took an overaged meh athlete at 23rd overall who didn't even want to play the sport... Oof. 

Just goes to show how scary the draft can be. You can walk away with a 10+ year stud like Jimmy Smith or a 2 and a half year flameout like Danny Watkins. Funny thing is Watkins was a riser who's character was celebrated and Jimmy's stock was going in the opposite direction with draft media types pointing out character flags. 

I remember 5 things very vividly about Jimmy and the draft. 1. They would constantly show his highlights against AJ Green, 2. I thought his tackling was scary bad despite believing in his coverage ability, 3. Someone associated with the Colorado football program a coach or something cried when they heard about the attacks/reports on Jimmy's character and how they might make him fall in the draft, 4. Pre Draft DeCosta brought in Harbaugh to show him plays from Jimmy Smith and Harbs said "We'll never be able to get that guy, he won't make it to our pick", and 5. Jimmy wore a Godfather 2 shirt when drafted and I wanted to nickname him "G2" playing off of that and the famous G2 Jet. He later took #22 as well 🤷‍♂️😅 I still think it could've worked. Now I'm focused on Justin "MurderBuike" though lol.

Look at this Pre Draft Profile on Jimmy. Some hardcore notes about his character, kind of F'd up to watch now having had Jimmy with us for so long.-

We've really had no major issues with him either. There was the stupid 'threatening text' situation or whatever that was, where Jimmy got suspended- while multiple other players with similar or insanely worse situations have not. That's about it though. If anything his character has been stellar for us. At this point he's taken multiple pay cuts to specifically stay a Raven and everyone loves him for it. Not to mention how many injuries and subsequent rehabilitations he's battled through. He'll deservedly be in our Ring of Honor one day and hopefully we can get him a couple more SB rings before he is.

2️⃣2️⃣ 🐐🔒

• Like 3

Would be wild if they took Caleb Farley 10 years after taking Jimmy in the same exact spot at 27. They even wore the same number in college and are pretty much the same size too.

Edited by BareYourTeeth
13 hours ago, DreamKid said:

We've really had no major issues with him either. There was the stupid 'threatening text' situation or whatever that was, where Jimmy got suspended- while multiple other players with similar or insanely worse situations have not. That's about it though. If anything his character has been stellar for us. At this point he's taken multiple pay cuts to specifically stay a Raven and everyone loves him for it. Not to mention how many injuries and subsequent rehabilitations he's battled through. He'll deservedly be in our Ring of Honor one day and hopefully we can get him a couple more SB rings before he is.

Not to mention he stuck up for Lamar during that 2018 Chargers playoff game. Will never forget that.

So this isn’t coming for any one particularly prospect, but rather many... the sheer number of “x player just ran a 4.3 forty” makes those times worth very little to me.

Now to name some names, Moore and Bateman aren’t legit 4.3 timers. Oweh is someone who I doubt legitimately runs that 4.3 time at a combine but he’s still obviously a freak athlete that likely would’ve put up a 4.4 type time at a real combine.

I suppose none of this really matters much as what matters is how they play the game of football, but still. All these times are sort of funny at this point. Such inflation.

Gil Brandt always with his finger on the pulse of things...

None of these names would be surprising, and all have been mocked in the 1st frequently enough. I don't know how our FO views Tryon but Creed Humphrey or Elijah Moore would be non controversial picks and not shocking in the least either. In fact plenty of fans want the team to select Moore or Humphrey. WR 4/5 and C 1/2 on a great deal of rankings. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Gil Brandt always with his finger on the pulse of things...

None of these names would be surprising, and all have been mocked in the 1st frequently enough. I don't know how our FO views Tryon but Creed Humphrey or Elijah Moore would be non controversial picks and not shocking in the least either. In fact plenty of fans want the team to select Moore or Humphrey. WR 4/5 and C 1/2 on a great deal of rankings. 

Creed Humphrey shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone if we take in the 1st round. He was always a 1st round talent, its just that if we COULD have gotten him for a 2nd round pick then that would have been most ideal.

Seeing as though thats now becoming less and less likely as time goes along and big boards are becoming more and more appropriately stacked, I think securing the most obvious talents where we can get them makes the most sense.

1. Jamarr Chase  2. DeVonta Smith  3. Rashod Bateman  4. Elijah Moore  5. Jaylen Waddle 6. Terrace Marshall Jr. 7. Dyami Brown- is how I rank these guys right now.

Moore and Toney are both too big of a gamble for us imo, and I haven't watched Josh Palmer yet. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

1. Jamarr Chase  2. DeVonta Smith  3. Rashod Bateman  4. Elijah Moore  5. Jaylen Waddle 6. Terrace Marshall Jr. 7. Dyami Brown- is how I rank these guys right now.

Moore and Toney are both too big of a gamble for us imo, and I haven't watched Josh Palmer yet. 

I am happy with one of these three...

• Elijah Moore
  • Terrace Marshall Jr.
  • Rashod Bateman

Dyami would be cool, too.

• Like 1

Remember this is the "Ed Oliver should play ILB" guy, but it's an interesting bit of information. One that I hope is true. Giving the Ravens(and Calais Campbell) Greg Rousseau would be such a gift from the league. Right after they gave us Madubuike in the 3rd too.

Interesting article breaking down what the Ravens apparently look for in DBs based on the last 10 drafts.

He looks at both athleticism and production, and then uses his findings as a bit of a filter to find some prospects in this year's draft that fit.  Worth a read if you have the time.