2021 NFL Draft Prospects

8 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I wonder what the chances of 1 of 

Paye/Farley/Phillips

Falling to us at 27 are? If any of them are there I think they have to be the pick. Just not sure the likelihood tbh

Phillips scares the hell out of me. The guy has retired due to injury before. I think there's going to be teams who don't have him on their board. He would be most likely to drop out if those guys. It also wouldn't shock me if Phillips gets picked top 15. Polarizing prospect. 

• Like 1

And not just any injury. Concussion problems. That's a bigger concern in my book than the likes of ACL tears or even Achilles issues these days. Not just for the real problems they present but also because guys are actively aware of those problems and acting (retiring) on them. I mean, Phillips has already done that once.

Just to be clear I'm not roasting players for handling concussions like this - their clear priority should be their own selves/lives - only that the risks of these types of investments need to be truly considered in evaluations. Not so much on the organization's side because they are surely aware of the specific situations far better than any of us, but on our side. Makes doing the draftnik thing less fun. But probably a little closer to the mark in the end.

• Like 1

I can't remember which podcast I heard it on, but I got the impression from at least one that Phillips "retiring" was almost as a response to a dispute he had with the UCLA coaching/medical staff and himself over whether he actually had a concussion or not - he thought he did, the UCLA doctors said he was fine to play.  And because he thought he had a concussion and shouldn't play, he decided to "retire" instead.

That said, there are also apparently other off-field concerns about him like whether he likes football enough (apparently music production is a major passion of his, to the point he enrolled in a JUCO college to study it in between his time at UCLA and Miami) and about his maturity (because of that dispute with UCLA)

And I'm trying to find the article that said Phillips wanted to come back but the UCLA doctors weren't going to clear him. Then he decided to agree and retire because of the concussions. 

Can anybody help either of us out? 😄 I've been on a resting vacation all week just reading a ton of everything and can't find what I'm looking for. 

Anyways, while we're talking about EDGE prospects, one name that's popping up a lot for the Ravens in mocks is Jayson Oweh. I don't think there's any actual smoke to this fire, just people connecting dots with a premium athletic specimen and Baltimore needing a pass-rusher, but what would be everyone's take on that happening?

To me that's a bit more risk than I'm willing to bet a first round pick on. The reward could be amazing but... eh. Seems like a steep hill to climb. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

And I'm trying to find the article that said Phillips wanted to come back but the UCLA doctors weren't going to clear him. Then he decided to agree and retire because of the concussions. 

This article from ESPN from October last year fits with your understanding of the story that UCLAs doctors told him to retire and he eventually agreed.

https://www.espn.com.au/college-football/story/_/id/30064775/former-top-recruit-jaelan-phillips-finds-second-chance-miami

The version I heard was from Benjamin Solak (of The Draft Network) when he was on Robert Mays' podcast (on The Athletic) to talk about the edge rushers in this draft class (I just pulled up that podcast episode and listened to it again - 1:01:44 of the April 16 pod, and he definitely says that UCLA thought he didn't have a concussion, although Solak acknowledges that the story changes depending on who you ask).

I think the bottom line is that us regular people will never know the story, and which version teams believe is true would probably come down to Jaelan's interviews (because he'd have certainly been asked about it) and whatever UCLA tells various FOs

23 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Anyways, while we're talking about EDGE prospects, one name that's popping up a lot for the Ravens in mocks is Jayson Oweh. I don't think there's any actual smoke to this fire, just people connecting dots with a premium athletic specimen and Baltimore needing a pass-rusher, but what would be everyone's take on that happening?

To me that's a bit more risk than I'm willing to bet a first round pick on. The reward could be amazing but... eh. Seems like a steep hill to climb. 

It'd purely depend on where he was picked and who else was available.  He's like the 4th/5th best EDGE prospect imo.  There's zero doubt that he has elite athleticism (a sub 7sec 3-cone, plus elite explosion numbers) should correspond to a good rush prospect but the lack of production and under-developed skillset are scary.

I do somewhat agree though that the fact that he's played far less football than most prospects (he didn't play HS football until his Junior year - he played basketball before that) does work in his favour somewhat.  He seems like the sort of prospect a DL/LB coach would love to get his hands on and coach up

So here's the story on Phillips as far as I can tell. UCLA has a policy where if a player has 3 concussions while playing they MUST retire. Jaelen didn't want to retire, he was forced to by this policy. This next bit is purely speculation on my part, but seems like a distinct possibility: in order to get out of this policy to keep playing, he likely tried to dispute one of his concussions, with the one he got while being in his car accident being the most obvious one to attempt this on. Again, I have no proof of this, it just seems like a possibility. 

What is known though is that he wanted to play, but didn't have the option to, so he moved on and tried to start a career in music. Some time passes, and Stanford gives him a call, saying they don't have this policy on concussions, and that if he wanted to play he could transfer there. He's considering it, and while doing so word gets around college football that he's considering coming out of retirement. Miami has a fantastic music program, and they want him bad. He takes their offer and balls out. 

He's a former 5 star recruit in the same class as Chase Young. Not quite as polished as Chase, and doesn't quite have his bend, but he's not too far off. Without the concussion history I'd have him as my 8th overall prospect. Right now I have him at 16. I'd love to take him if he falls to us at 27

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Not a draft guy, but I am excited to see some of your reactions on Thursday. Thanks in advance for the entertainment.

Fun thing about the draft is it brings oa lot of posters out of hibernation. Forum has felt quiet lately, but it will explode soon enough. 

Edited by DreamKid

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Fun thing about the draft is it brings oa lot of posters out of hibernation. Forum has felt quiet lately, but it will explode soon enough. 

What do you mean? I’ve had lots of notifications from happy Jags fans who were happy to see that I never retired as a Ravens fan. Quite a pleasant turnout IMO. 😎😁

• Like 2