2021 NFL Draft Prospects

41 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Didn’t really think this deserved it’s own thread though.

We usually launch a separate mock draft thread once we get a little bit closer to the Draft. I wouldn't care if you started it earlier though, you just might have to deal with the occasional 'hunt & bump' required by low traffic threads for a while(until draft season really heats up).

Seems like you're going to be pretty active this draft season DB. Make sure your longer posts and analysis are easily searchable for when you want to look/reflect back. Nothing more annoying than when you can't find some text you know you dropped. Should be easy if you just make sure to use the player's full name. Replacing it with pronouns can make searches more difficult- in my experience. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

We usually launch a separate mock draft thread once we get a little bit closer to the Draft. I wouldn't care if you started it earlier though, you just might have to deal with the occasional 'hunt & bump' required by low traffic threads for a while(until draft season really heats up).

Seems like you're going to be pretty active this draft season DB. Make sure your longer posts and analysis are easily searchable for when you want to look/reflect back. Nothing more annoying than when you can't find some text you know you dropped. Should be easy if you just make sure to use the player's full name. Replacing it with pronouns can make searches more difficult- in my experience. 

Yup, definitely more active. I mean the fact that I’ve already combed through this many WRs and OL. It’s probably about as much as I would do all together in most of the past few years. It’ll certainly be the most since I dropped being a mod here.

Yeah, I figure I’ll probably wait to make an actual mock draft thread until after the deadline. I suppose that’ll be the true kickoff period for mock draft season to start. Even if my mock drafts won’t look quite as plump... considering I fully expect guys like Tylan Wallace and Trey Hill to be risers... and who knows what will happen with a Justyn Ross.

Just from my early look though this will definitely be a draft with a lot of defensive talent... which sucks because we really need to build around Lamar in the worst way.

So on that note, I feel like I haven’t posted about him yet... which is weird because he’s an absolute force and if we trade down in the 1st round to pick up additional draft resources (if we miss out on an impact playmaker and go for an impact IOL instead for instance) on the 2nd day, I would love to spend resources on Darius Stills (#56), his brother is also a beast (#55) Dante Stills.

Here is Matt Rhule describing how dominant this guy is (8:10 mark in video). I don’t think I’ve seen this kind of clear and obvious defensive dominance from a DI since Aaron Donald. Maybe I need some time to start noticing his flaws more, but man... he jumped off the charts when I first watched him. It was kind of like when I first looked over Micah Parson’s tape, same type of feeling.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, berlin calling said:

just realised Asante Samuels son is already a junior. time flies.

Yup. There’s a few children of NFL players that are likely coming out this year. Patrick Surtain Jr. Asante as you mentioned. Kary Vincent Jr., Jaycee Horn son of Joe Horn.

Theres probably more, but just of the corners I found that interesting.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Didn't we have a Joe Horn Jr. come through rookie camp recently?

Looks like he fathered a couple ballers.

This might be a question for @coordinator0 he’s far more plugged in on the transactions over the years. But I honestly don’t remember a guy of that name. It probably was during the few years where I wasn’t as active in following the Ravens (and thus not on here often).

45 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Yes, Joe Horn Jr was in TC in 2019

Interesting. Must’ve just missed this guy since I definitely was active last year.

Random. But what I find most interesting is that Joe Horn Jr is from Tupelo, MS... which just so happens to be made famous (to me) by the old Van Morrison song, ‘Tupelo Honey’... one of the GOAT love songs... even if I typically prefer other genres, real recognizes real.

27 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I want.

I’ve watched him and I certainly like him. Reminds me of Michael Crabtree coming out of Texas Tech in that he has just enough speed to separate deep, can high point, has a quality enough YAC skill as well. Another similar WR comparison I’d have for him is Michael Gallup coming out of Colorado St. Just all around good at everything you can ask of a WR, not particularly elite at any aspect. I see obvious high end #2 WR type of ability. Not an elite option, but someone like prime Crabtree, current Gallup.

Bateman probably finds himself in that similar level of prospect range that’s more realistic for us to acquire; along with Pat Freirmuth, Wyatt Davis, and Creed Humphrey. The better our IOL can look down the stretch, the more I’d likely lean towards going with either Freirmuth or Bateman. Would certainly be a difficult decision. If Freirmuth had a more explosive vertical, like Andrews and Jason Witten... the TE’s I compare him to, then it’d make this probably a no brainer choice.

I think the choice could come down to our top 2 days looking like Pat Freirmuth/Terrace Marshall vs Rashod Bateman/Brevin Jordan. I think we can just look to how Lamar was more comfortable with Michael Crabtree at WR than John Brown and that should’ve let the front office know what type of WR he’s more comfortable with. Considering Bateman compares to a younger Crabtree, I think he’s definitely a WR I could see Lamar developing a connection with.

DeVonta Smith

I wanted him last year and he’s the only guy I’m taking over Pitts at receiver. Waddle said he was the best of the Alabama WRs in ‘everything’ in an interview from last year when they had Jeudy and Ruggs. Smith has been the go-to receiver in the biggest moments. He caught the clutch catch from Tua in the championship. He’s got elite hands to a level rarely ever seen, he’s got Nuk hands.

He runs both with medium and long strides and it confuses defenders. Because when he turns on the boosters, he converts to long strides that don’t match the medium strides he took throughout the rest of the route. Smith is such an easy projection. He can do it in the slot and outside. He’s excellent at finding the soft spot in the zone, yet not even the best cover corners in the nation can stick with him in man coverage consistently. He’s a double team threat on every play or a big play risk. He competes as a blocker.

Literally no holes in his game except imposing size. If Smith were 2” taller and 30-40 lbs heavier, he’d be a sure fire top 5 pick. As it stands however we’ll probably still have a shot at him once the draft season is over and the other guys look better in shorts.