Mahomes - 10 YEAR EXTENSION

ET80

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, we have a ceiling for the Watson deal...

Going to be interesting to see how much. A 10 year deal is unheard of, though, so the money is going to be MASSIVE.

I bet the money is going to be less per year than other guys are getting. I wouldnt be shocked if its 10 years 325 million or so, but with a boat load of guarantees. Its rare for a young QB to be so good, win MVP, and win a super bowl all before the rookie deal expires. There is a massive shortage of MVP/Super Bowl Champion QBs in the league.....2???? and Mahomes wasnt old enough to watch football when Brady won his first ring. with QBs playing into their late 30s, early 40s, Mahomes might still sign another big deal in his career. 

1 minute ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I bet the money is going to be less per year than other guys are getting. I wouldnt be shocked if its 10 years 325 million or so, but with a boat load of guarantees. Its rare for a young QB to be so good, win MVP, and win a super bowl all before the rookie deal expires. There is a massive shortage of MVP/Super Bowl Champion QBs in the league.....2???? and Mahomes wasnt old enough to watch football when Brady won his first ring. with QBs playing into their late 30s, early 40s, Mahomes might still sign another big deal in his career. 

There's a lot of belief that this contract will be set up as a percentage of cap vs actual dollars - Year 1 is 15% of the cap, year 2 is 20% of cap, year 3 is 20% of cap, etc.

If this is the case, it's an incredibly brilliant move by the Chiefs - Mahomes' contract would be protected against a drop in salary cap (which many people think might be the case next season with everything going on) and could grow astronomically whenever the cap goes up - Mahomes gets his money, but KC isn't in a spot where Mahomes is occupying 30+% of the cap.

Really going to be interesting, and it'll play a big role in what Watson gets.

39 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, we have a ceiling for the Watson deal...

Going to be interesting to see how much. A 10 year deal is unheard of, though, so the money is going to be MASSIVE.

All fluff. Watson’s agent and himself are smart wanting a 3 years deal. No way this deal doesn’t get restricted multiple times.

A real question, when are teams going to learn to let their 1st round QBs sit a season before playing? Its worked for Aaron Rodgers and Pat Mahomes. Worked for Carson Palmer before injuries took over. Phillip Rivers, and Eli Manning didnt start out starting either. 

Just now, ET80 said:

There's a lot of belief that this contract will be set up as a percentage of cap vs actual dollars - Year 1 is 15% of the cap, year 2 is 20% of cap, year 3 is 20% of cap, etc.

If this is the case, it's an incredibly brilliant move by the Chiefs - Mahomes' contract would be protected against a drop in salary cap (which many people think might be the case next season with everything going on) and could grow astronomically whenever the cap goes up - Mahomes gets his money, but KC isn't in a spot where Mahomes is occupying 30+% of the cap.

Really going to be interesting, and it'll play a big role in what Watson gets.

I am surprised that Mahomes signed before Watson. Watson is now basically capped out slightly under whatever Mahomes gets. 

28 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I am surprised that Mahomes signed before Watson. Watson is now basically capped out slightly under whatever Mahomes gets. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Mahomes' agent did this for the agents of Watson and Dak Prescott. We know Mahomes sets the bar, so now Watson and Prescott s' agents have a number to aim for...

52 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Mahomes' agent did this for the agents of Watson and Dak Prescott. We know Mahomes sets the bar, so now Watson and Prescott s' agents have a number to aim for...

And set a new precedent with the cap percentage angle.

So, this comes out to $45mm AAV.

This is GREAT for the Texans. If Mahomes is booking $45mm (not the suggested $50mm) then Watson could/should clock in at $42-$44mm.

Assuming BoB doesn't go bat crap crazy (which isn't guarenteed he won't) Watson should be affordable.

52 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Rapoports tweet just now says 10 years 503 mil with 477mil in guarantee mechanisms, whatever that means

It means in money that can be or is guaranteed its 477 mil, so if he leaves the team iirc he loses like 400 million of that cause some of it is only activated if he is on the team that year.

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

Supposedly there’s a lot of agents and nfl ppl saying this is a terrible deal for Mahomes now that they have more detail. 

*Shrug*

Dude is going to make close to a half billion. It's a deal that can be flexed to create more cap space or pay Mahomes a ton more, depending on the end of that particular season. Mahomes has as much leverage on the deal as the Chiefs do.

It's not a traditional contract, but it's one that shows good faith across both parties. Mahomes is all in on KC, and KC is all in on Mahomes.