Mahomes signs 10 Year Extension

chiefs82

Not bad.

I'm very interested in the numbers, but it's a great deal to structure the numbers over a long period of time and create room. I think that's a good deal for both sides. We get to keep our QB and Mahomes gets paid big time, while it may allow the team to structure things around the contract to keep the team competitive, which should also be in the best interest of both sides.

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Can you elaborate?

I’m guessing back loaded with opt outs, team friendly could be for the first 4 years, Mahomes takes a discount so there’s room for Kelce and Chris Jones, etc.

"Mahomes’ extension will be worth more than $400MM, tweets. It is not certain how much more yet, but that would clear the $40MM-per-year barrier. Prior to Monday’s news, Russell Wilson‘s $35MM-AAV pact doubled as the NFL’s contract ceiling. This contract came together quickly. Mahomes and the Chiefs only began negotiating in late May. The superstar passer, whose rookie contract runs through 2021, became extension-eligible after the 2019 regular season’s conclusion."

Almost 25% of the cap, obviously doesn't start until next year but interesting how it will impact FA's going forward. Stability should draw FA's like Manning used to but will they take the discounts necessary ??

Edited by Cutler06

58 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Almost 25% of the cap, obviously doesn't start until next year but interesting how it will impact FA's going forward. Stability should draw FA's like Manning used to but will they take the discounts necessary ??

I think so. It’ll be 1-2 year deals at a cheaper rate. That’ll give them a chance at a ring and another payday. Plus the chiefs can get some comp picks. 

• Like 1