Mahomes signs 10 Year Extension

chiefs82

41 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

@KC_Guy Do your salary cap thing...

Really hard to see how it all works out Cap Wise until they Guarantees come out.   Looks very workable with the Roster Bonuses,  as those can very easily be converted.   All about how the Guarantees are structured as to how the middle/end shape out.   I’m sure Mahomes and the Chiefs both have pros/cons as the Guarantees.  

We knew it’s get done, but still refreshing to see.   No one was going to complain about any contract he received, this one looks very good from short glance though

46 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

@KC_Guy Do your salary cap thing...

There isn't that much cap analysis to be done here, with the information that's available. Not knowing when the roster bonuses become guaranteed, it's impossible at least to judge what we'd be looking at in terms of cap hit in any of those years if he's cut, but the cap hits and money flow are actually mostly simple with so few true guarantees.

So, with the signing bonus only being $10M, that'll come out to $2M per year of cap each of the next 5 years (signing bonus is normally stretched the length of the contract, but the max it can be prorated over is 5 years there, so it'll be $2M of cap hit in '20, '21, '22, '23, and '24.) I'm pretty sure each other year, the cap hit is basically just going to be what's in the "Cash" column of that chart. Salary and roster bonuses should hit the cap in the year they're paid out. Without much signing bonus, there isn't much to add or change most of those years. It's really just a question of when he has outs, when the roster bonuses and salaries become guaranteed versus paid out, and when we would have potential outs accordingly. Like, if 2030 and 2031 become guaranteed in like 2028, that makes him hard to cut between 2028 and 2029, versus if 2031 only becomes guaranteed on the third day of 2031, then he'd be borderline free to cut at that point. Those are the main questions that really exist, here, from what I can see. Though obviously the goal is for cutting him to never be worth considering anyways.

There's also a no trade clause, so that never becomes relevant here either.

• Like 1

The guarantee mechanism makes it next to impossible for the tem to release Mahomes earlier than after the 2025 season, as the team would have to pay TWO full years for a player no longer on the roster. A release after the 2026 season also is unlikely as the team would be on the hook for the huge 60 M$ chunk in 2027. After that a release is theoretically possible.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, VexMilkWaterfall said:

Quote:

According to the folks at Over The Cap, the Chiefs have just over $6.2 million in cap space remaining for the 2020 season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/07/kansas-city-chiefs-salary-cap-update-patrick-mahomes-extension/amp/

This is the best news I've woken up to all year.

This is why I’ve been saying we can keep Jones since this already includes his 16mil franchise cap hit. We just had to get Mahomes done first to see what the future cap would look like. 

The only crappy part is the uncertainty for the 2021 cap, so an extension may have to wait until then.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 1:57 PM, VexMilkWaterfall said:

Quote:

According to the folks at Over The Cap, the Chiefs have just over $6.2 million in cap space remaining for the 2020 season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/07/kansas-city-chiefs-salary-cap-update-patrick-mahomes-extension/amp/

This is the best news I've woken up to all year.

I remember sports shows badmouthing Veach for only having $2 in cap space a few months ago lol 

I'm pretty sure I bad mouthed him for giving up a 1st + the contract to Frank Clark.     And I would still say he overpaid on that.    Same reason we were getting no offers for Chris Jones.   

I think he is a great GM, but I still disagree with the full details on that one.

I also wouldn't give Jones more than 3 years.   There was an article stating he's the 2nd most important piece on the team,  fully disagree with that one.   Mahomes/Hill/Kelce/Schwartz/Mathieu I would rank very easily above Jones.    I think he's good,  but won't kill us if we have to move on from him.   Would much rather look at extended Kelce and Mathieu a few more years.

• 3 weeks later...