Around the League 2020

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

It appeared clear to me that JD sets a price on a player. Given their production, positional value, the market, etc. And he won't budge from that number much. This is what happened with Robby I believe, you saw him do it with Jenkins too. And when the market wasn't there for Jenkins he came back cheap. I think he's big on not overpaying players. Where I just don't see eye to eye with him is not valuing skill positions really. It "appears" he doesn't value them. When I completely disagree obviously. Maybe whats going on now for us at WR and even RB will really open his eyes.

Or could it be that JD saw the writing on the wall with the lower cap next year?  Lets face it, Robby or any other high priced skill player was not going to help this team.  We really need to build through the draft and acquire younger or cheaper FA until we are ready to compete.  Case in point, Bell.  The more I think about it, the more I think JD is punting on this season with an eye towards a new HC and QB next year (assuming JD believes Sam ain't it).

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Or could it be that JD saw the writing on the wall with the lower cap next year?  Lets face it, Robby or any other high priced skill player was not going to help this team.  We really need to build through the draft and acquire younger or cheaper FA until we are ready to compete.  Case in point, Bell.  The more I think about it, the more I think JD is punting on this season with an eye towards a new HC and QB next year (assuming JD believes Sam ain't it).

Trust me I like JD and this team wasn’t in good shape talent wise. I think he did OK in FA and did good (not great) in the draft. So I give him a B or so as a GM so far. Keeps getting thrown around how he promised Darnold that he’d be protected and have weapons. He did a good job making big strides protecting him. But left a ton to be desired at weapons. As I’ll continue to say. Draft picks are often over valued. If you can get a proven good player at WR for a 3rd rounder let’s say. You make the trade if you have cap. The odds of that 3rd rounder being good NFL player isn’t good. I’d like to see him make more moves via trade for WRs, and Edge, etc. You’d be amazed sometimes what a big time player can do to help a team (you can’t tell me trading for Hopkins wouldn’t have big timed help us).

• Like 1

I like what JD did. Obviously the jury is still out on Mims, but it looks like injuries are going to be an issue for him. I would have liked to grab Diggs, maybe even Sanders, but they both went to places where they can win. Nobody wants to join the team that's rebuilding; it's not fun eating losses in hopes for a brighter future.

If we end up with the #1 pick, the assumption will be that we are taking TLaw and that will probably help us win over a few players.

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

I like what JD did. Obviously the jury is still out on Mims, but it looks like injuries are going to be an issue for him. I would have liked to grab Diggs, maybe even Sanders, but they both went to places where they can win. Nobody wants to join the team that's rebuilding; it's not fun eating losses in hopes for a brighter future.

If we end up with the #1 pick, the assumption will be that we are taking TLaw and that will probably help us win over a few players.

There are certainly some players that want to win right now like JA.  There are also some players who may want to be part of a bright future the Jets may offer.  We have a bunch of premium draft picks, money to spend,  a GM who appears to know what he is doing,  and some promising young players.  Although, I think the big stumbling block will be Gase and his sidekick Igor.  Whether we want to acknowledge that or not, the FA players may feel Gase is not the coach they would want to play for.

Chrissy boy may have already sealed Gase's fate with his "vote of confidence".  That is what usually happens before the HC is fired.

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

Doubt it unfortunately. I think Chris is really just that inept

True, but Chrissy did say that the game last was horrendous and we cant keep playing like that.  Something to that effect.  So the question really becomes, how many more dumpster fire games will he endure before pulling the plug?

41 minutes ago, xrade said:

True, but Chrissy did say that the game last was horrendous and we cant keep playing like that.  Something to that effect.  So the question really becomes, how many more dumpster fire games will he endure before pulling the plug?

Hopefully not too many but if the team starts to implode he should just rip off the band aid and get it over with. Him telling us Gase is a “brilliant offensive mind” is almost insulting. Don’t tell me the sky is purple when I can look up and see that it’s blue. There’s nothing tangible that supports any offensive brilliance.

• Like 3

I really like the job JD did this past offseason. It's still not too late, but I do think he should have added another WR or vet pass rusher. We look thin now because of the injuries and Mosely opting out. Roster wise, I think this will be the type of year we gain hope with some of the young guys going forward. It's not going to show up in the wins, but I'm excited for 2021 after we hire a new coaching staff & use the new picks we got. 

2 hours ago, Bianconero said:

Watching this Cinci game...the throws that Burrow are making - Sam wouldn't even attempt

Ugh

Two games in the league and head and shoulders better than Darnold, already, And he was drafted by the worst team in the league, San has a lot more problems than having lousy receivers, a lousy running game.

9 hours ago, Bianconero said:

Watching this Cinci game...the throws that Burrow are making - Sam wouldn't even attempt

Ugh

He has AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Tee Higgins, Joe Mixon and John Ross to throw to.

The comparison isn’t there.

Its like me saying here you have a team to create something. And I give you the guys who created the pool noodle. And I give myself the guys who created Apple. And then judge the 2 creations equally.

24 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Lol no. The Bengals have more talent than the Jets 

Their O line is not as good as the Jets, and their defensive is just as bad as ours. Darnold, just can't make  the throws all these other QB from his era  can make. At this point I am not sure he is the franchise QB we all through he would be. I hope i am wrong, but if I am right we are going to be in one hell of a mess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

He has AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Tee Higgins, Joe Mixon and John Ross to throw to.

The comparison isn’t there.

Its like me saying here you have a team to create something. And I give you the guys who created the pool noodle. And I give myself the guys who created Apple. And then judge the 2 creations equally.

The only 2 players who you mentioned that are good are Tyler Boyd and Joe Mixon - that is comparable to Jamison Crowder and Le'Veon Bell. Hell, Burrow is getting the ball out to no name TEs and moving down the field and we have Herndon. As someone else stated, our OL is better than theirs

That doesn't even matter - Burrow looked like a real QB in a real offense while only three offensive lines yielded more pressure than Cincinnati’s (33.3%) and Myles Garrett, Olivier Vernon and the rest of Browns’ defense was inches away every play

But let's chalk up Week 1 to "playing a good defense"