Around the League 2020

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

Hey guys. There are rumors that Deshaun Watson may want out of Houston and could ask for a trade. Would you all support trading the farm (#2 Overall Pick + Two 1sts from Adams Trade) for Watson?

Too rich for me. I mean of course he’s worth a couple of first round picks but #2 and then 2 firsts also. Wayyyy to expensive. 

If we were picking in the 8-12 range and offered 2 firsts that would be cool but that #2 pick is way to big to trade away unless it’s for Deshaun straight up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Hey guys. There are rumors that Deshaun Watson may want out of Houston and could ask for a trade. Would you all support trading the farm (#2 Overall Pick + Two 1sts from Adams Trade) for Watson?

Not a chance for that price. Part of why we got that much for Adams was bc he was still on his rookie deal for several years. He didn’t have a big contract to go along with him.

HOU won’t be getting a kings ransom for Watson if they trade him. Bc the team getting him is getting a contract that has a lot of guaranteed money still left on it. The team trading for Watson is helping out HOU as much as they’d be helping the team trading for him. HOU is 20mill over the cap if things stay as expected for 2021. And the trade suitors for him is small. Bc there’s only a handful of teams that can afford him and that actually need a QB. 2 of them being us and JAX. You can cross off JAX off that list too, Bc they will just draft TLaw. So that leaves just like 3 teams besides us that could be interested (NE, Indy, WAS). HOU has no leverage here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Not a chance for that price. Part of why we got that much for Adams was bc he was still on his rookie deal for several years. He didn’t have a big contract to go along with him.

HOU won’t be getting a kings ransom for Watson if they trade him. Bc the team getting him is getting a contract that has a lot of guaranteed money still left on it. The team trading for Watson is helping out HOU as much as they’d be helping the team trading for him. HOU is 20mill over the cap if things stay as expected for 2021. And the trade suitors for him is small. Bc there’s only a handful of teams that can afford him and that actually need a QB. 2 of them being us and JAX. You can cross off JAX off that list too, Bc they will just draft TLaw. So that leaves just like 3 teams besides us that could be interested (NE, Indy, WAS). HOU has no leverage here. 

I think you're greatly underselling Watson here.

He's 25 and already a consensus top five quarterback - a trade would be unprecedented. There are only a handful of teams total who wouldn't at least try to make an offer, even if it involved extensive cap maneuvering to get it done. I'd be shocked if he didn't return a kings ransom.

6 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

By all indications, Douglas is steadfast on seeing this rebuild through. I would do it though... (assuming Douglas isn't 100% sold on either Fields or Wilson)

Flip Sam for a 2 or 3, and we'd still potentially go into the draft with with six picks in rounds 2-4 + there's enough money to pay Watson & be active in FA. When you consider the alternative could mean picking up Sam's $25M option a year from now, the money become more obsolete. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NJC33 said:

I think you're greatly underselling Watson here.

He's 25 and already a consensus top five quarterback - a trade would be unprecedented. There are only a handful of teams total who wouldn't at least try to make an offer, even if it involved extensive cap maneuvering to get it done. I'd be shocked if he didn't return a kings ransom.

What's a deal you'd do?

For me I'm not offering much more than the 2nd pick (crazy valuable), Darnold and our SEA 3rd.

or

Our 2nd pick this year and SEA 1st next year. We post trade, trade Darnold for a pick to another team (maybe and early 3rd)

in a dream scenario, I’d only offer them either the #2 pick this year and a 2/3 next year or both Seattle first rounders for Watson.

In scenario # one  it would be we’d like giving up #2 QB prospect and a 2/3 for Deshaun. Basically get a superior, proven QB for a second round pick plus cap space ( which we have).

In scenario #2, it would be like trading Jamal for Watson and two 3rds. If we did that trade before this season, we would have all gone nuts. Then trade Darnold for future draft assets to keep going with the overhaul of the roster. 

Too bad Bill O’Brien isn’t still running the show in a Houston or this pipe dream might have a snowballs chance in hell of becoming a reality. 

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What's a deal you'd do?

For me I'm not offering much more than the 2nd pick (crazy valuable), Darnold and our SEA 3rd.

or

Our 2nd pick this year and SEA 1st next year. We post trade, trade Darnold for a pick to another team (maybe and early 3rd)

Unless Douglas is 100% sold on either Fields or Wilson, I'd give up the 2nd pick + Seattle's 1's. 

We're positioned beautifully to make a deal without mortgaging the future or at the expense of the rest of the roster - trading Sam would potentially give us two picks in each of rounds 2-4 + there's enough money to pay Watson & stay active in FA. 

If Douglas has either Fields or Wilson pegged as 'his guy', than I get wanting to stay the course. Otherwise, I think we're in a really rare situation where we can afford Watson, while maintaining the resources to build through the draft. Again, this is a 25yr old consensus top five quarterback, he's the definition of "untradeable". 

Here are a few things I look at IF we trade for Watson

1. There are only a few teams that have the cap space, draft picks and looking for a QB situation. The Jets, Jags are about the only teams that fit this situation. Now with that in mind you only have the Jags and I think the Jags like T Law better.

2. If I did offer the trade it would be pick #2 this year and Darnold. I might throw in like a 3rd or 4th but that would be it. If Watson really wants to be moved the Texans have lost all the leverage. The only thing that scares me is if Watson is moved to NE because of the new GM they got from the Pats. 

44 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Unless Douglas is 100% sold on either Fields or Wilson, I'd give up the 2nd pick + Seattle's 1's. 

We're positioned beautifully to make a deal without mortgaging the future or at the expense of the rest of the roster - trading Sam would potentially give us two picks in each of rounds 2-4 + there's enough money to pay Watson & stay active in FA. 

If Douglas has either Fields or Wilson pegged as 'his guy', than I get wanting to stay the course. Otherwise, I think we're in a really rare situation where we can afford Watson, while maintaining the resources to build through the draft. Again, this is a 25yr old consensus top five quarterback, he's the definition of "untradeable". 

Let’s say we make that trade you say. So we then have no 1st this year and our 1st next year.

With Watson a Jet... the issue then becomes how much does that then hurt Darnolds trade value. Bc then every team knows he’s getting traded. We lose all our leverage to get a deal. We can no longer act like we might keep him as our starter.

The smarter angle might be to trade Darnold before hand. Get the best deal possible. Also adding additional picks to know what we have to offer HOU. And what exactly we’d be left with. We’d still have leverage in a Darnold trade. And it isn’t a risk Bc if we can’t get Watson then. Ok we just draft Fields or Wilson at 2 and have several more valuable picks.

38 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

#2, , our 3rd, Both 1sts next year then trade Sam for more picks

So 3 first round picks including #2 overall, and a 3rd. We would have our pants pulled down big time in that trade IMO. 

We could trade #2 for a bounty like 3 firsts anyway so that’s like giving Houston the equivalent of 6 first round picks 😤

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xenajets said:

So 3 first round picks including #2 overall, and a 3rd. We would have our pants pulled down big time in that trade IMO. 

We could trade #2 for a bounty like 3 firsts anyway so that’s like giving Houston the equivalent of 6 first round picks 😤

Exactly. I dont think people realize how much knowing that our 1st rounder this year is the 2nd pick. As you said...a team trading for that pick would cost multiple 1sts. So for people who think we'd have to give up 2-3 1sts for Watson. The 2nd overall pick is nearly that in itself.