Jump to content

Around the League 2020


Recommended Posts

I dont think I'd give up 2+ for Watson I would do either 

2nd overall for Watson then Houston can either move back or do whatever they want

or

Both Seattle firsts, 5th this year(Giants) and a 3rd next year

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Houston wanted to trade Watson this year, they may get less than what the consensus “paper” value is for him. If you remove all the teams that would want him, all the teams that could afford him, and all the teams that have the capital to trade for him, Houston may be left with just a team or two. That team or two will have the leverage in negotiations so Watson, if traded at all, could be had for less than fair market value. Houston knows this as does JD. If JD trades for Watson, it will probably be for below market value. IMHO Watson will most likely remain a Texan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, xrade said:

If Houston wanted to trade Watson this year, they may get less than what the consensus “paper” value is for him. If you remove all the teams that would want him, all the teams that could afford him, and all the teams that have the capital to trade for him, Houston may be left with just a team or two. That team or two will have the leverage in negotiations so Watson, if traded at all, could be had for less than fair market value. Houston knows this as does JD. If JD trades for Watson, it will probably be for below market value. IMHO Watson will most likely remain a Texan.

I said this earlier too. It is pretty much just the Jets or the Jags. I really don;t see the Jags wanting him when they can have T Law. I think we would be bidding against ourselves. The reports that I have read real seems like he wants out and we all know if someone wants out they usual get thier wish i.e Adams. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts and Eagles are best fit for Watson but we have to wait to see what will be true salary cap and who will be new HC for Texans.  Watson was merely upset that FO didn't cordially inform him about moves.

Cotls-Texans trade may be high unlikely. Eagles need some serious redo on salary cap plus Wentz situation before exploring the chance of landing Watson.

 

edit: forget about Patriots.

Edited by JetsandI
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Colts and Eagles are best fit for Watson but we have to wait to see what will be true salary cap and who will be new HC for Texans.  Watson was merely upset that FO didn't cordially inform him about moves.

Cotls-Texans trade may be high unlikely. Eagles need some serious redo on salary cap plus Wentz situation before exploring the chance of landing Watson.

 

edit: forget about Patriots.

Eagles and Saints are the only two teams who cant do it financially iirc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Let’s say we make that trade you say. So we then have no 1st this year and our 1st next year.

With Watson a Jet... the issue then becomes how much does that then hurt Darnolds trade value. Bc then every team knows he’s getting traded. We lose all our leverage to get a deal. We can no longer act like we might keep him as our starter.

The smarter angle might be to trade Darnold before hand. Get the best deal possible. Also adding additional picks to know what we have to offer HOU. And what exactly we’d be left with. We’d still have leverage in a Darnold trade. And it isn’t a risk Bc if we can’t get Watson then. Ok we just draft Fields or Wilson at 2 and have several more valuable picks.

You're overthinking Sam's trade value - any leverage will be dependent on the number of suiters, that's it. If he's being trade, with or without Watson, it's abundantly clear we don't plan on starting him next season. Douglas isn't going to decided whether or not to draft a QB at 2 based on what he can get in return for Sam and everyone knows that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

4 too many lol.

Although I'll be honest I have no idea what Safeties are good.

Bates, Mathieu, Maye, Baker, Minkah were the top 5 this season IMO

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Watson is available, we should be front and center in those negotiations.

Id be ok with 3 first round picks. But I agree with those that are saying Houston may get short changed. We have the picks and salary cap space. So we won’t get crippled by the trade and can still build around him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are good reasons why I'm not an NFL GM, but I'd give Houston #2 and either of Seattle's firsts without thinking twice. I might we willing to add a second rounder in there too. If they asked for me, I'd still think about it. What are the chances we find someone better with our draft pick?

 

Honestly, he's been very, very good. And he's barely had an O-line for most of his NFL career. His receivers weren't amazing this year and he still put up 4823 yards at 8.9YPA with 33TD and 7 INT (112 rating). His four year career passer rating is 104.5.  I don't care that his salary is high. You can win a lot of games with him at QB with even a semi competent GM and HC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TheChad said:

There are good reasons why I'm not an NFL GM, but I'd give Houston #2 and either of Seattle's firsts without thinking twice. I might we willing to add a second rounder in there too. If they asked for me, I'd still think about it. What are the chances we find someone better with our draft pick?

 

Honestly, he's been very, very good. And he's barely had an O-line for most of his NFL career. His receivers weren't amazing this year and he still put up 4823 yards at 8.9YPA with 33TD and 7 INT (112 rating). His four year career passer rating is 104.5.  I don't care that his salary is high. You can win a lot of games with him at QB with even a semi competent GM and HC.

There’s no denying his absolute and quality. He’s a top 5 qb and would be our best qb since Namath. No getting around that. 
 

My side of the coin is why just throw picks at Houston including #2 when that in itself is so valuable. If we were to trade for Watson then of course I’d give up #2, maybe a 3rd this year and 4th next year. To sweeten the pot we could include Sam which is like adding another 2nd round pick or some combo of a 3rd and conditional. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheChad said:

There are good reasons why I'm not an NFL GM, but I'd give Houston #2 and either of Seattle's firsts without thinking twice. I might we willing to add a second rounder in there too. If they asked for me, I'd still think about it. What are the chances we find someone better with our draft pick?

 

Honestly, he's been very, very good. And he's barely had an O-line for most of his NFL career. His receivers weren't amazing this year and he still put up 4823 yards at 8.9YPA with 33TD and 7 INT (112 rating). His four year career passer rating is 104.5.  I don't care that his salary is high. You can win a lot of games with him at QB with even a semi competent GM and HC.

My take on this...unless we are stealing him for #2 and something else smaller, possibly future pick, the Jets have a chance for a hard reset.  We need a new coach, QB, culture, everything.  We have a chance to start over at QB, bring in a few FAs and JD can hopefully work some more magic through the draft with many picks.  If we can trade Sam for a 2nd we can have two picks in each round.  I want to take advantage of that. We need to become a new team and not give away all our picks.  While Watson is very likely to be way better than anyone we draft I think we need the quantity and build a team through the draft.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep I totally understand where you two are coming from. If you trust your drafting, it probably is the smart thing to do to not throw a bunch of picks away to get one player.

I tend to value draft picks lower than most (probably a bit too low since the rookie wage scale), but I do love a sure thing. I'd hate to think that we passed up an opportunity to get Watson just so that we could draft Vernon Gholston and Dee Milliner.

And, if we could get him for a first this year and next (and even some other lower value stuff, and/or Darnold)... we'd still have a first in each draft. Low firsts if we trade ours instead of Seattle's, but still, we could be in a position to essentially have traded Jamal Adams and Darnold for Watson and some pick swaps.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...