Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

On 10/28/2017 at 12:52 AM, flyers0909 said:

Not to rain on the parade, because going 8-1 as an expansion team is just stupid, but they are getting insanely lucky.  They are 28th in CF%, 21st in xGF%, and 1st in PDO

What do those numbers look like now? (not trying to be snarky, I'm actually curious)

57 minutes ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

What do those numbers look like now? (not trying to be snarky, I'm actually curious)

16th in CF%, 8th in xGF%, 9th in PDO.  Looks like they're getting less lucky (why they still aren't on an 8-1 pace), but they're getting better (why their record hasn't plummeted).  

DPVZZE8WsAA77Sg.jpg:large

Also Jonathan Marchessault is good.  Really good. 

The Ducks and Devils made a splashy trade on Thursday as Anaheim acquired forward Adam Henrique, forward Joseph Blandisi and a 2018 third-round pick while sending defenseman Sami Vatanen and a conditional draft pick to New Jersey.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/21618642/anaheim-ducks-get-adam-henrique-trade-new-jersey-devils

Sucks to see Henrique go, but I expected some sort of deal for a defensemen. @bkobow05, what say you? 

19 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

That's a lot to give up for Vatanen 

I thought the same as well at first, but the more I considered it, the more I was okay with it. Blandisi has some potential, but I don't think that he was ever going to get a chance to really show it in New Jersey with where we are currently. He's going to end up falling behind some of the young forwards and his NHL time was going to be sketchy at best. We gave up the third, though if Henrique resigns with Anaheim, we get it back. Vatanen is the best player in the deal, I'm just hoping he can stay healthy. I think he's better for this team right now than Henrique is, who isn't flashing much offensively for us. He's sort of been pushed back it seems like...or he's getting more skittish. He's just not being aggressive. I think that will open up in Anaheim and he'll have some nice numbers there, but I wasn't sure if that was going to come back in Jersey. 

Overall, if Vatanen stays healthy, I think that this is a good deal for us. Fair to both sides. 

10 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

I think I disagree.  Vatanen is the best player in the deal IMO and I think overall the value is pretty even.  Addresses needs that both teams had as well, this is a damn good hockey trade. 

I agree. Always fun to see these type of deals come up... makes sense for both teams, each side getting a player of note. 

We have 5 RHD now so hopefully having Severson, Vatanen and Santini to solidify the right side means no more Lovejoy or Prout. That'll help in itself. We still need a top of the line LHD (doesn't everyone?), but we may be able to survive with whatever combination of Mueller, Moore, Greene and Butcher until we can address it.

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

I think I disagree.  Vatanen is the best player in the deal IMO and I think overall the value is pretty even.  Addresses needs that both teams had as well, this is a damn good hockey trade. 

Well, seeing this...does Ray Shero ever really lose trades? It's few and far between if it happens.

Kyle Palmieri for 2015 2nd and 2016 3rd round picks
2016 4th and 2017 2nd round picks for Lee Stempniak
2017 3rd round pick for Eric Gelinas
Taking on Marc Savard's contract to gain a 2018 2nd round pick
Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson
2017 4th round pick for Vernon Fiddler
Marcus Johansson for 2018 2nd and 3rd round picks
Sami Vatanen for Adam Henrique, Joseph Blandisi and a 3rd round pick

Some smaller deals were meh but nothing crazy. Mirco Mueller for 2 picks could be merky (pun intended) but he's been better than advertised until injury.

I mean, we turned Adam Larsson and Adam Henrique into Taylor Hall and Sami Vatanen basically. 

Edited by bkobow05
  • Like 1