Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

7 hours ago, tom cody said:

Apparently Karlsson to the Lightning could be happening. If it happens Tampa becomes that much scarier, wonder what they would give up in return. 

I don't know how they have the money for that, what move by Stevie Y

42 minutes ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

I don't know how they have the money for that, what move by Stevie Y

It's not so difficult this year. Either Ottawa can eat / retain some salary (TB has about 4.5 left in space, Karlsson's hit is 6.5), plus I'm sure that Tampa will send back players that are counting against the cap right now, so this year it's easy to fit in. Where it gets interesting is with the extension. But they do have 11 million coming off the books between 3 defensemen who probably won't be re-signed, and have some younger guys such as Koekkoek who could come in (though he would have to be re-signed as well as he is an RFA next year and only signed for one year this year). But they'd still have to fill at least one other defensive spot even if Koekkoek re-signs. But also, Kucherov is a restricted free agent next year. His salary should easily double from the 4.7 he's making this year, and I'm not sure where that is going to come from. 

Assuming that he gets 9-10 AAV, that would put them right around 76 million in cap spaced used and by my count, that's only to 11 skaters and 2 goalies. If the cap is flat, that's 3 million that they have left, give or take. They have 6 UFAs next season and 3 RFAs, so that is quite a few people that they would have to replace on the big club. 

I think that the only way that they get EK is if they get a third team with space into the mix and shed some of the contracts, such as Callahan. There's been talk that the Rangers are involved, and that would make sense. I think Callahan would certainly waive his NTC for the rangers given he used to play there. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Kucherov re-signs for 8 x 9.5. Drilled that estimate in my previous post. Solid deal for TB. 

If they trade for Karlsson, they are going to have a ton of money tied up in 6 players. Gotta figure an AV88 extension is coming. Upwards of $50 Million of their cap would be tied into those players with guys like Ondrej Palat, JT Miller and Tyler Johnson making $5+ Million per as well. Killorn's at $4.55 Million per through 2023 too. Doesn't even include Brayden Point's extension either.

So, naturally, you've gotta believe some of them are on the move. Also, gotta figure they won't choose to extend Yanni Gourde either. Gonna be a really, really interesting team to follow.

Okay, was looking up random hockey facts and...what in the blue hell?

1954 Hart Trophy winner...goaltender Al Rollins. His stat line?

12 wins, 47 losses, 7 ties with a 3.21 GAA, 5 shutouts

wut

EDIT - Saw someone mentioned it was a "retro" win for his 52-53 season that he lost out to Gordie Howe in the voting and that it was split season voting. Weird. 

Edited by beekay414

On 7/24/2018 at 11:47 PM, Blazer026 said:

Any of you guys ever go to a Winter Classic? Just bought tickets, pretty excited. 

I've been to 2 of them, very cool environment. Some people say they are a tad overrated, but I loved them. 

• Like 1