Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

41 minutes ago, UofMfan909 said:

He's never really built a team so it'll be interesting to see how he handles this. Having a few of the best players in the world obviously makes the task a little bit easier than where he was with the Wings two years ago. 

I think the best thing that the Oilers have going for them is that Kenny comes with some clout - ownership and other execs probably won't meddle too much with his plan with the reputation he's built up in the hockey world. His biggest issue in Detroit has really been sticking with his favorites for too long and for too much $ & term, so maybe a fresh start will help him out. He probably won't stick around long enough to be able to replicate his Cleary or Abdelkader disasters in Edmonton. 

The bad moves that drove down his popularity in Detroit were the ones made keeping the playoff streak alive with an aging core in the middle of the decade, e.g. Erik Cole, Stephen Weiss, Carlo Coliacovo, Marek Zidlicky, David Legwand, Kyle Quincey... but he's been pretty stellar since the Wings fully committed to the rebuild. I don't think he's made a bad trade in the last few years, and has gotten incredible value out of guys he's offloaded for picks (more than expected from Jurco, Tatar, Jensen,  Brendan Smith, and Sheahan, about par for Nyquist and Mrazek). Sounds like he's bringing Tyler Wright with him who did a great job turning around Detroit's horrible drafting from like '04-12, and I'm interested if he gets Hakkan to come along as well.  I will be interested to follow how this unfolds, I really have no idea how it'll work out but I would bet they're back in the playoffs in two years. 

I appreciate your thoughts. I’m feeling better about it today.

He’s got full control on the hockey side so I’m hoping he cleans out the OBC. I hope he keeps Gretzky who has done a great job building the minor system. 

As Stevie Y fills out his staff some of Hollands associates in addition to those you mentioned may join him.  

Today I looked back and one thing he has great experience doing is adding the right pieces to compliment superstars. 

Expectations will be playoffs next year. Anything short of that will be viewed as failure. 

On 5/9/2019 at 6:33 PM, diehardlionfan said:

On the Edmonton front I hope Todd Nelson gets a second try with the team. He should’ve been given the job years ago. 

It's gonna be either Nelson or Tippett. I'm actually good with either. Tippett gets a bad rap due to his tenure in Arizona, but most of those rosters were horse crap. He's a top coach.

• Like 1

On 2019-05-11 at 12:09 PM, Canadian Saint said:

It's gonna be either Nelson or Tippett. I'm actually good with either. Tippett gets a bad rap due to his tenure in Arizona, but most of those rosters were horse crap. He's a top coach.

It’s certainly different having a GM that engages the media. I’ve seen more Holland interviews than I saw from previous GM’s during their entire tenure.