Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

Congrats to all the Blues fans here! Binnington was phenomenal the whole game. Hockey fans know all too well when you see a team dominate a first period yet it's the other team that scores first. The second goal coming late in the first was a killer for the Bruins. Pietrangelo was incredible. What the Blues accomplished was historic. Congrats to them.

On to the offseason and the draft on the 21st and 22nd.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

How many teams are kicking themselves for not trading for ROR?  A late 1st, Tage Thompson level prospect and a future 2nd + trash and he's now locked up for the foreseeable future at a really modest cap hit.  He's been tremendous this entire playoffs. 

Psh, I was banging the drum for him a couple years ago for the Flyers, figures our biggest hole during that timeframe has been 2C.

So proud of the Blues! 1st-time Stanley Cup winners in back-to-back years, unreal. Historic moment. I had a sick feeling the Blues would choke game 7 after getting blown out at home again and giving the momentum back to the Bruins with the Cup in their arena, glad it didn't happen.

Also F Boston. Seeing them lose a championship never gets old. 

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, Hockey5djh said:
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:47 PM, Forge said:

Flyers are going to be very interesting this off season. I think that they are going to be buuuuuuuuuuusy

Considering Hextall got fired for not getting busy I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I wonder how far in we'll wade in the Trouba, Hamonic, Brodie waters for find that top 4 RHD?

Welp, there's our answer.

Flyers just traded Radko Gudas (retained 30% of his salary) for Matt Niskanen.

Meh, Gudas was already a top 4 RHD.  Younger, cheaper, and to be honest he's probably better than what Niskanen has been the past two seasons.  I don't really care about retaining salary for one year but if both guys play like they did last year the Caps got a better player IMO.  At the same time it's a breath of fresh air seeing the organization push towards puck moving defenseman.  Our blue line is going to be damn good at getting out of our end and pushing the play.  Get rid of AMac and put Hagg's name on a seat in the pressbox and I'm happy.  

I also like this as a sign of AVs system, we're going to be aggressive. 

Edited by flyers0909

12 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Meh, Gudas was already a top 4 RHD.  Younger, cheaper, and to be honest he's probably better than what Niskanen has been the past two seasons.  I don't really care about retaining salary for one year but if both guys play like they did last year the Caps got a better player IMO.  At the same time it's a breath of fresh air seeing the organization push towards puck moving defenseman.  Our blue line is going to be damn good at getting out of our end and pushing the play.  Get rid of AMac and put Hagg's name on a seat in the pressbox and I'm happy.  

I also like this as a sign of AVs system, we're going to be aggressive. 

Honestly Gudas played well last season but I think you're overselling him if you're calling him a top 4 D man.

I'm not expecting Pittsburgh or Dallas Niskanen but he's still capable of being a guy who eats 20+ mins a game and works the top PK unit. He'll slot right in next to Provy and push everyone down a peg which makes the overall unit better Gudas was more of a space eater in that middle pair.

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Welp, there's our answer.

Flyers just traded Radko Gudas (retained 30% of his salary) for Matt Niskanen.

It's a good deal for you guys. Niskanen had a down year but he's the better D-man imo. The big difference between him and Gudas is puck moving ability. Gudas is a nice top 4 D-man, and younger, but with AV's system I think Niskanen fits much better.

The biggest fear for Philly has to be foot speed. Unless Niskanen was injured (which is very possible) then he's lost a step significantly in terms of skating. He was slow was Orpik at times last season. However, he and Orlov carried that Washington D in the playoffs. Just hope that's the version you're getting.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Honestly Gudas played well last season but I think you're overselling him if you're calling him a top 4 D man.

I'm not expecting Pittsburgh or Dallas Niskanen but he's still capable of being a guy who eats 20+ mins a game and works the top PK unit. He'll slot right in next to Provy and push everyone down a peg which makes the overall unit better Gudas was more of a space eater in that middle pair.

I do like that Niskanen could realistically fit on a pair with any of our defenseman.  We saw last year when Gordon for some ridiculous reason paired Gudas and Hagg and the pairing was abysmal.  Niskanen would also look good next to Sanheim if Provy-Ghost is that dominant pair it was two seasons ago.