Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

6 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

$5.5 x 5 is a good deal for both sides. After the Skinner nightmare, good deal for the Isles.

I'm kind of annoyed by that. Not that I really wanted the Devils to commit 5 years to Eberle, but I figured that is what it would take, and 5.5 is cheaper then I envisioned he would sign for. I also viewed Eberle as a likely NJD target given his friendship with hall, the need for a top 6 winger, etc. 

15 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Niskanen would also look good next to Sanheim if Provy-Ghost is that dominant pair it was two seasons ago.  

That would be ideal honestly. Sucks that Myers will be stuck with Hagg but at least in theory MacDonald should be out of the equation.

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

That would be ideal honestly. Sucks that Myers will be stuck with Hagg but at least in theory MacDonald should be out of the equation.

Morin!

I actually wouldn't hate Stralman to play on the bottom pair if he comes cheap.  

10 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Morin!

I actually wouldn't hate Stralman to play on the bottom pair if he comes cheap.  

Eh, I don't want to block the kids. Hopefully Morin can step up and be #6 but I don't have any expectations of that right now.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm kind of annoyed by that. Not that I really wanted the Devils to commit 5 years to Eberle, but I figured that is what it would take, and 5.5 is cheaper then I envisioned he would sign for. I also viewed Eberle as a likely NJD target given his friendship with hall, the need for a top 6 winger, etc. 

Haha as an Oiler fan, might be for the best if Hall and Eberle aren't on the same team again tbf.

I will say, after the Skinner contract I thought he'd get more but that's a very reasonable deal imo. I think Eberle will age a lot like Vanek imo.

2 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Is it just me or is that on the cheaper end for a top 6 winger contract?

Definitely. It's a solid deal. He didn't play great last year, so you can question what he is moving forward (maybe more middle 6 rather than top 6), especially given his age, but it's certainly a very reasonable deal at the very least. 

11 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I don't like this for Chicago. Maatta has struggled with his injuries and his skating isn't that great. Pittsburgh clears salary and gets back a decent young player.

Yep, definitely a nice trade for the Penguins. With the money saved I sure as heck hope Rutherford doesn't screw it up with another Mutt Hunwick/ Jack Johnson type of signing.

12 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I don't like this for Chicago. Maatta has struggled with his injuries and his skating isn't that great. Pittsburgh clears salary and gets back a decent young player.

Yeah, not sure I like this. We must be confident Kubalik can replace the big Kahun. 

1 hour ago, Blazer026 said:

Yeah, not sure I like this. We must be confident Kubalik can replace the big Kahun. 

Tbf I don't think losing the trade is more about replacing Kahun (B-Hawks pull good complimentary players out of thin air) but more fixing the D with a guy like Maatta. Especially taking him on at that salary.

• Like 1

San Jose is going to have some really fun decisions to make now. 

Will leave them roughly 12 million in space. Pavelski, Thornton, Nyquist, Donskoi are all UFAs. Labanc and Meier are RFAs, and the latter is going to require a high money (prediction is about 6 aav) contract. 

BRING ME MEIER!!!!

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

San Jose is going to have some really fun decisions to make now. 

Will leave them roughly 12 million in space. Pavelski, Thornton, Nyquist, Donskoi are all UFAs. Labanc and Meier are RFAs, and the latter is going to require a high money (prediction is about 6 aav) contract. 

BRING ME MEIER!!!!

$40M tied to 5 players until 2025. They've got 2-3 seasons tops with this core before it's onto a full on rebuild in my opinion.