Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

ESPN: Finally, if you were a betting man, are we seeing an offer sheet this summer?

Shero:
 I would bet you I don't know. And we say this every summer, too. I don't know. I really don't. I'd be just guessing, and I'm not a betting man, either. But I do know that if you're a team that has a cap situation ... I've been there, when I was in Pittsburgh, for a number of years. It's always in the back of your mind. You have to do your best to put yourself in the best possible situation. You're always thinking about that.
We all know what the CBA is. There is no gentleman's agreement. F--- that s---. When people say that, it's a lazy narrative, I'll tell you that. Really? Your ownership's competitive, GMs are competitive, and it's the buddy-buddy system? What the f--- is that? It doesn't mean something will or won't happen, but that's been the narrative for years, and I don't know why.

Ray Shero, ladies and gentlemen LOL. 

I hope that he means that - Timo Meier is there for the taking if he'll sign an offer sheet. 1st / 2nd / 3rd is worth it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Buyer beware for all potential teams. Good luck to the kid.

I wouldn't mind the Devils taking a stab at him at this point. I'm not giving up anything of substance of course. I'm not a Miles Wood fan, so that would be on the table for me to offer up. 

The HF boards are so ridiculously homerific lol. 

I mean seriously, I'm not saying PoolParty is the answer to the problems we have, but people are really getting bent out of shape of Miles Freaking Wood? That board cracks me up. They treat players like wood as if they were gold, but then cry when Shero isn't making moves, but you propose moves, and our players are suddenly too great. As though the team picking first in the NHL draft is stockpiled with high echelon talent.....like jesus, he's a bottom six winger. Sure, great story for a 4th round pick. That doesn't make him actually good. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

The HF boards are so ridiculously homerific lol. 

I mean seriously, I'm not saying PoolParty is the answer to the problems we have, but people are really getting bent out of shape of Miles Freaking Wood? That board cracks me up. They treat players like wood as if they were gold, but then cry when Shero isn't making moves, but you propose moves, and our players are suddenly too great. As though the team picking first in the NHL draft is stockpiled with high echelon talent.....like jesus, he's a bottom six winger. Sure, great story for a 4th round pick. That doesn't make him actually good. 

Yea, I'm on HF boards but I take them with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Callahan is going to the LTIR with a "degenerative back issue" the day before the draft. How convenient for Tampa. They just need to get rid of the LTIR cuz teams manipulate the hell out of it. 

So my theory with this, is that teams clear a lot of players to continue playing with injuries. Like they'll tell players to continue playing, often through injuries/pain etc., and once it becomes too much, they'll LTIR so then they still get the money but the team gets the cap space.

26 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

So my theory with this, is that teams clear a lot of players to continue playing with injuries. Like they'll tell players to continue playing, often through injuries/pain etc., and once it becomes too much, they'll LTIR so then they still get the money but the team gets the cap space.

I just wish that they had to carry the hit to start the season. Like, once the season officially opens, then they can LTIR  someone and have the cap space available. But before the season, those contracts have to count. 

A source Thursday said the cap will be one of two numbers: $81.5 million or $82 million. Nothing in between; it’s the first figure or the second one.

Oh man, 81.5? Some teams are going to be hurting. That's about 1.5 lower than anticipated

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I just wish that they had to carry the hit to start the season. Like, once the season officially opens, then they can LTIR  someone and have the cap space available. But before the season, those contracts have to count. 

Yeah it seems like a way out of the a bad contract of a player who won't perform, but I think both teams/owners and players are good with this. Doesn't inhibit teams from signing players to long deals and teams can do it without worrying an aging player is going to be a cap constraint in the long run. The biggest negative in all this is the players health long term, but that's up to the player in the end.